Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 07-04-2019 09:46 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@Gimpfont wrote:

I belive our TVs already support HLG via internal apps (i.e. Youtube). The iPlayer issue was something more complicated.

With this hdmi support  I am hoping  I can watch their live HDR channel when it comes out later this year (albeit with a new BT box that is HDR compatible). Unsure if their app will work with HDR on the TV itself.

Kinda, it was to do with the Security EME API not being fully supported on 2015 & 2016 Samsung TV's, thanks to Tizen OS 2.4 being a bit rubbish.

Which is quite ironic, because thanks to Nintendo Switch hackers, the Widevine TSEC keys have been completely compromised, and are now quite useless across ALL Widevine-supporting appliances. That's ALL OF THEM!

AndyC
Journeyman
Options

***** 2nd USB stick from Samsung and it's 1231 AGAIN!

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

There's another BBC 4k UHD HDR trial coming up shortly. Football! https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/bbc/147639-bbc-iplayer-to-stream-fa-cup-semi-and-final-in-4k-hdr

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@crashcris wrote:

There's another BBC 4k UHD HDR trial coming up shortly. Football! https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/bbc/147639-bbc-iplayer-to-stream-fa-cup-semi-and-final-in-4k-hdr

Thanks for the heads up!  I wish the BBC would trial some drama in this format

cattv1
Explorer
Options

Thanks for the football information.

I decided two weeks ago to give up on the Samsung J series which is now relegated to our bedroom.

I replaced it with a LG OLED55B8 set purchased from Richer Sounds.

The picture quality is really really sharp and detailed especially when playing 4K  Dolby Vision   Blurays  on my newly acquired Sony player, Netflix in Dolby Vision is also very detailed .  Highly recommended makes the Samsung look rather primitive. It does take time to adjust to the magic wand remote, but with built in Netflix and Amazon buttons it is simple to use

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@cattv1 wrote:

Thanks for the football information.

I decided two weeks ago to give up on the Samsung J series which is now relegated to our bedroom.

I replaced it with a LG OLED55B8 set purchased from Richer Sounds.

The picture quality is really really sharp and detailed especially when playing 4K  Dolby Vision   Blurays  on my newly acquired Sony player, Netflix in Dolby Vision is also very detailed .  Highly recommended makes the Samsung look rather primitive. It does take time to adjust to the magic wand remote, but with built in Netflix and Amazon buttons it is simple to use

After having the js,  then the 65ks9500,  which was good,  but let down with the support. The q9f was a massive disappointment,  dull and blooming all over the place. I even tried their 8K super expensive tv,  which yes was bright but my son said it was to much,  to luminous if that makes sense.  I went for the LG65C8,  and what a revolution.  Everything connected works,  HDR and hlg is brilliant,  and Dolby atmos from the Netflix is amazing.  

rozel
Voyager
Options

So who watched the footy yesterday, in HDR ?

First time I really have had the chance to test the new Firmware (1239) with the Roku Streaming Stick Plus.  With one exception everything worked perfectly and the PQ was absolutely superb.  Much better in fact than in the Summer - the transitions from lights to darks was better, although to be fair, there were hardly any really bright scenes.  But the colour dynamics and image quality were, as I've said, brilliant!

The one exception was that when I initially started viewing - there was the slightly "washed-out" colour effect but toggling the HDMI inputs as before, corrected this immediately.  I had hoped the new firmware was going to sort this?

HarryH
Apprentice
Options

Yes. I had the same.  All very impressive after toggling. Presume you had to use roku? But then again nothing has really changed from summer World Cup for me despite the new tv software being installed. 

Who has tried Our planet Netflix in HDR .  Using the Native app.  

what is the correct picture setup to get the best from this or does the app handle all of that. I only get a speed 15.4mbs but it says it’s 4k resolution when I press info.  Hard to know if the HDR is kicking in properly and also what other settings to tweak.  The app speed checked says it can receive 55 mbs. 

rozel
Voyager
Options
I used my Roku, as I said. Don't have Netflix subscription but would like to see this. Presumably you checked your wifi speed in the Roku's Network Settings? I read for the FA Cup Semi Final, to receive full resolution, you need >40Mbps
0 Likes
cattv1
Explorer
Options
The Netflix Our Planet looks great on Dolby Vision 4K on my new LG OLED tv.

No hassle just press the Netflix button on the remote select the program and it works.

So glad that I replaced the Samsung.