Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent audio cutting out with optical (toslink) The Frame 2019 49"

(Topic created on: 09-12-2019 10:58 PM)
Monographia
Journeyman
Options

I have some severe clipping, cutting out, choppy, glitchy, stuttering (whatever is the correct term) audio.

It happens for a millisecond every other second or so. It feels that it happens more often when there are audio intense moments, but it could also be that it's just more noticeable at those moments.

It happens on both HDMI channels (Apple TV and XBOX), as well as DTV (which I never watch, so that's not really an issue, but could help determining the problem).

The apps on Samsung works better, but after a while the clipping sound appears. On the apps it occurs sometimes and sometimes not, compared to the Apple TV and XBOX where it happens all the time steadily.

When I connect the optical cable to my XBOX everything sounds perfect and there is no clipping whatsoever. 

Also analogue works perfectly with the amp.

All the suggestions I've read mostly focused on changing the Digital Output Audio Format to PCM, which I've tried with no luck.

I've tried factory resetting the TV which didn't do anything.

The manual for my amp says:

The digital inputs are capable of handling up to 24bit / 192 kHz audio signal in PCM-format. check your source signal type to make sure it is in the right format.

Are there any settings I'm missing on my TV to set this up properly? Does 24bit / 192kHz mean anything that I should change in the setup?

Here is my setup:

TV: The Frame 2019 49" (QE49LS03RAU) – 2 months old

Amp: NAD Amp1 (NADAMP1BK) connected via the optical input (D1 for TV use) with a new optical cable (ARGCL1OPT1,0) – both bought 1 week ago

Stereo system 2:1

HDMI 1: Apple TV4 connected with new Premium HDMI cable from Deltaco

I've tried all the different audio settings (Stereo / Dolby Digital, and forcing 16bit) which doesn't change anything

HDMI 2: XBOX One S connected with the in-the-box HDMI cable – 2 weeks old

Tried Stereo Uncompressed and Bitstream, neither changed anything. 

Worth noting is that the TV don't recognize my amp correctly, it instead sets it up as a Denon. 

When it doesn't want to set the amp up and I manually have to say which it is I can choose Nad Amp1, but the remote won't work then and it didn't have any any other affect on the audio.

124 REPLIES 124
gianmanis
First Poster
Options

Ok, I found that there is no problem if the audio signal is streamed by the amazon prime app (at least with my UE55RU8000)... 

So It's an issue with the DVB-T processed audio signal.

0 Likes
Kikimora
Explorer
Options

qe65q95t - the same with hdmi source, hbo go  netflix, plex, youtube (apps in tv). I didnot try dvbt

0 Likes
Frizio85
First Poster
Options

Hi everyone,
I'm italian,
I also have problems with cambridge audio cxa81 and optical output of an oled tv lg (b6v)
everything worked fine with my old hk990 amplifier ..
i'm waiting for answers from cambridge audio

0 Likes
Mike117
Journeyman
Options

Hi,

Anyone with Marantz ND8006 tried the latest firmware update? I did and it looks promising. I no longer can hear the sound cuts and pops as before on optical connection.... I'll test further and update the thread.

0 Likes
clumb
Explorer
Options
Q.e.d.
0 Likes
lwizard
Apprentice
Options

Hi.

Italian Too!

I have CXA81 too with a Samsung TV QLED Q6, and I have stuttering audio through optocal input, too!

Tried an optical output from a sony CD player and from a sony BD player and everything is fine.

Also everything is fine if I connect optical from TV to Cambridge Audio CXNv2 optical input.

Seems to be something in Cambridge new DAC?

Keep me updated if cambridge replies to you.

Bill35
First Poster
Options

Hi, I also have just bought a Samsung tv QE55Q90R and sadly have the same problem with my relatively new CXA81. Just adding so someone realises that a number of people are affected and to track if a solution comes...

0 Likes
Cooltool
First Poster
Options

Hi, there. I have the same problem with Samsung QE49LS03 RAU and my Nuprime IDA-16. The problem exists with IDA-8, but after 5-10 minutes of "burning in" it dissapears and audio becomes listenable(unforthnately not with IDA-16). Obviously the source of the problem is in Samsung optical out signal somehow being incompatible with ESS Technology Sabre chip. Had to sell beautifully designed The Frame at a loss and bought ugly Sony XH9505:( Samsung! Do something! You are losing customers....if you care at all

0 Likes
MikeAUS
Student
Options

Just got the Samsung Q80T TV delivered today. Using Optical out = PCM = to a Matrix Mini-i Pro 2S dac for stereo use to amp/speakers. Well really disappointed. Thought there was issue with the optical cable so swapped but still an issue with slight intermittent click/freeze on the audio 😞  This is only on the Live TV, the various apps Youtube and streaming from phone seem okay. Was working 100% fine with various dacs on my 5 yr old Panasonic TV via Optical.

NOW this Matrix dac has the ESS SABRE chip. By chance, I have another dac coming but that also has a ESS sabre chip - so I assume that it will also not work correctly.

From what I have read, the FIIO D03K dac works (cheap), as does the Cambridge CXN V2 streamer/dac (expensive). FIIO uses WM8805 or CS8416 DAC chip, Cambridge uses Wolfson, so its definently looking like the Sabre DAC chip could be the issue.

Has anyone had any luck with other DAC's specifically AKM chip ?  Thanks!

0 Likes
Mike117
Journeyman
Options

Hello guys, I can confirm the cut outs issues have been resolved by the latest update in Marantz ND-8006. Though waited for about 6 months, it looks like it's resolved and the *****ty optical output in QLED Q85RA goes through way better now with no hiccups.

Yes, the small  FIIO D03K  is what I've used while awaiting for the fix, but it can't compare to higher end DACs in sound quality.