Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

How to connect Q90R for Atmos?

(Topic created on: 10-02-2020 07:36 AM)
willzyx
Student
Options

Hello peeps. 

I'm new to 4k and Dolby Atmos and anything TV related (my previous TV was over 9 years old). I understand that QLED TVs don't support Atmos or Vision, but I'm planning to use the Q90R as a panel only. I will watch most of my stuff with Apple TV 4K, Xbox One X and Chromecast Ultra. I will skip all TV built-in apps. I understand that hardware listed above do actually support Atmos and Vision. I'm planning to get an Atmos capable soundbar. 

Is there anyway to connect all the gear to actually get Dolby Atmos and Vision? Do I have to connect them directly to the soundbar and then route it to OneConnect Box? 

0 Likes
48 REPLIES 48
harutyundr
Student
Options

@acidron wrote:

Just checked - it does support atmos  from usb. I've tried Dolby atmos demo files with eac3 audio. Plex app does it too by the way.

IMG_9771.jpg

I am in the middle of ordering Q80 soundbar for my Q90 TV and found this thread with a lot of people complaining that it is almost impossible to get Atmos, so I am worried if the investment is actually worth it. Can you please confirm which setup you are using exactly? Have you used HDMI to connect the TV and the soundbar? Also, does Plex "direct play" the audio from Atmos files or it does any conversion?

I have seen a lot of other messages regarding DTS-X support, I know the built-in player does not support it for sure, but could not find anywhere if Plex can play DTS/DTS-X via soundbar without transcoding. Have you noticed by chance if you can play DTS/DTS-X audio via Plex and if streams audio directly or converts to usual 5.1?

Thanks!

0 Likes
acidron
Apprentice
Options

Hi! I am newbie in this samsung-vs-atmos battle. I have Samsung Qe75q80r TV  and Samsung hw-q90r Soundbar connected via hdmi-arc as it is supposed in its manual with hdmi-cable from soundbar box. As for conversation, as far as I know atmos lost with any conversations nowadays (except Dolby software that nobody uses), so I believe plex plays original. It is not uncompressed trueHD however. Plex shows it is "eac3 5.1". I've tried Dolby demo files - all 11 channels are playing correctly. And I can't find any movies ripped with such audio.

0 Likes
harutyundr
Student
Options

@acidron wrote:

Hi! I am newbie in this samsung-vs-atmos battle. I have Samsung Qe75q80r TV  and Samsung hw-q90r Soundbar connected via hdmi-arc as it is supposed in its manual with hdmi-cable from soundbar box. As for conversation, as far as I know atmos lost with any conversations nowadays (except Dolby software that nobody uses), so I believe plex plays original. It is not uncompressed trueHD however. Plex shows it is "eac3 5.1". I've tried Dolby demo files - all 11 channels are playing correctly. And I can't find any movies ripped with such audio.

I am planning to connect the same way and will see how it goes with sound. I have an external smart TV (Eon box) that runs Kodi, and found this add-on for Kodi yesterday - https://forums.plex.tv/t/plexkodiconnect-kodi-plex-integration-done-right/137555 It does fantastic job streaming the files from Plex server without any transcoding it seems, very fast and responsive when scrolling the video etc. Just wanted to inform everyone who is stuck with transcoding issues, that this add-on might solve their problems.

0 Likes
niniki
Journeyman
Options

Connecting Xbox to TV, and Atmos/DTS amp you simply get a message saying that DTS is not supported.

Built in Amazon app will not even give Atmos sound as an option, as TV says it's not supported.

Depending on your room setup, if TV will be getting sidelight from window, this is what it will look like. Samsung support say this rainbow scattering is normal and to totally rearrange the room to the TV isn't getting side light (not an option).

I truly wish I'd just bought a cheap TV from ANY other brand!

I've another 3.5 years of paying for this lemon before I can do so unfortunately.
@harutyundr

@harutyundr wrote:

@acidron wrote:

Just checked - it does support atmos  from usb. I've tried Dolby atmos demo files with eac3 audio. Plex app does it too by the way.

IMG_9771.jpg

I am in the middle of ordering Q80 soundbar for my Q90 TV and found this thread with a lot of people complaining that it is almost impossible to get Atmos, so I am worried if the investment is actually worth it. Can you please confirm which setup you are using exactly? Have you used HDMI to connect the TV and the soundbar? Also, does Plex "direct play" the audio from Atmos files or it does any conversion?

I have seen a lot of other messages regarding DTS-X support, I know the built-in player does not support it for sure, but could not find anywhere if Plex can play DTS/DTS-X via soundbar without transcoding. Have you noticed by chance if you can play DTS/DTS-X audio via Plex and if streams audio directly or converts to usual 5.1?

Thanks!

0 Likes
ChrisRudd
Explorer
Options

Is your bluray play also an home cinema 

0 Likes
Tindee
First Poster
Options

I have Samsung Frame TV 2019 and I see the tv has Dolby digital feature. Now I'm planning to buy a soundbar having Dolby Atmos feature so my question to you is it possible if I could use Dolby Atmos (via HDMI arc from Soundbar) to my Frame TV? Or it will only provide me 5.1 sound? I will be using it on TV based Netflix or Prime apps

0 Likes
japasoschulz
First Poster
Options

I have encountered the same disappointing situation. Samsung The Frame 2019 (65") + Q80R soundbar + Apple TV 4K + Xbox One X. The only way to get Atmos working is via input device (ATV or Xbox) => into the Q80R => into the OneConnect box. This is unideal in for many reasons, switching between HDMI inputs on the Q80R requires cycling through all inputs and I am limited to two Atmos sources (ok for now but still quite limited).  I love the look and sound of all of the devices, but had I been aware of this limitation before diving in (and mounting the TV), I'd have looked elsewhere--lg is looking mighty nice right now. 

Danny1125
First Poster
Options

I have had the exact same issues. Have you reached a resolution? The lip sync is so annoying. Samsung blamed my cable company? My cable company is saying it's Samsung. I can't win.

0 Likes
northerner9
Journeyman
Options

Hi,

Apprentice

Have you enabled the option "Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC)" option on the Samsung TV ? If this is disabled, Samsung TV won't see the HDMI ARC connection from my Q90R soundbar. Also, the soundbar needs to be on D.IN connection type, it will change to TV ARC when it TV powers on. I have a 2018 Q70 TV.

0 Likes
northerner9
Journeyman
Options

Hi, I have a 2018 Q70 TV with a 2019 Q90R soundbar. When I connect the Panasonic 420 Blu-Ray to soundbar, the TV lost the HDMI ARC connect and replaced it with Receiver (HDMI). I can't adjust vol on the soundbar with TV remote any more. Even after I turned the blu-ray off, it still does not give me back the HDMI ARC connection on the TV. I have to physically disconnect the Blu-Ray player from the soundbar, then the HDMI ARC connection appears right away on the TV speaker list. WHY ??? Thanks for any idea.

For the soundbar to support all its supported format, I was told to directly connect the blu-ray to the soundbar. If I connect the Blu-Ray to TV and let the 2018 Samsung Q7 TV to pass the the audio to the soundbar via HDMI ARC connecton, it does not support some sound formats. See the photo below.

Supported sound format per connection method.JPG

0 Likes