Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

How can I use Megaloop Pro with Samsung QLED TV simultaneously with other audio output

(Topic created on: 13-11-2019 12:20 PM)
Steve_S
Student
Options

The MegaLoop Pro ™ Induction Loop System has mutiple switchable inputs including 3.5mm Stereo Jack, phono and SPDIF. Obviously SPDIF gives the best sound quality.

The Samsung QE65Q70R (2019) TV has Integrated speakers, Bluetooth, SPDIF and HDMI(ARC) switchable audio outputs. But with the exception of Buetooth (which isn't applicable in this setup and about which I'll post separately), Multi-output Audio is greyed out and you can only select one of these outputs.

So if I  set the TV to SPDIF the loop works for my deaf wife but the rest of us get no sound options!

I have an old STR-DH510 Sony AV Receiver I can use on the ARC and that works superbly as the only audio output but that doesn't have any output other than for speakers. I suppose I could parallel the loop stereo jack input  with the centre speaker which does most of the voices but it's a really poor solution. Besides, my wife expects just to turn on the and listen, not mess with two remote controls. Nor do we want the volume of the amp to affect the loop.

This is superb modern TV and an excellent recently introduced audio loop amp but they can't be used together without SP/DIF or HDMI splitters or buying a passthrough HDMI soundbar with an SPDIF output or a new amp at significant expense. All that is needed is a permanent monitor audio output - our old TV had stereo phono plugs!

I discussed this problem with Hearing Products International Ltd the manufacturer of the Megaloop and they were very helpful but we couldn't find a solution without splitters.

In terms of accessibility it seems as if Samsung haven't considered the needs of deaf viewers at all. Unfortunately I don't think any other manufacturers are much better.

I'm in trouble here: I was allowed my boy's toy 65inch UHD TV on the understanding that it would be simpler to operate with better sound than my 10 year old setup and I have no budget left!

NB I'm copying this post to the TV retailer: John Lewis, Hearing Products International Ltd and to AVForums and the Royal National Institute for Deaf People

Ideas?

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2
Solution
Steve_S
Student
Options

No answer on here, so Samsung and john Lewis were unable to help. I posted on AVForums and was advised to try an Optical splitter.

I bought this 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LiNKFOR-Splitter-Aluminum-Dolby-AC3-Compatible/dp/B07N1DSWC3

Set the TV Audio output to Optical and in Expert settings set Digital Output Format to PCM (NOT Dolby) connected my amplifier and the Megaloop pro via the splitter. Excellent result for deaf and hearing listener alike :thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

0 Likes
Techtive
First Poster
Options

It would be so helpful if Samsung alowed a wireless headphone connection sumultaneously with the wireless surround sound speakers. Then we don't disturb the neighbours when the hard of hearing listen in. (Mrs HoH is often watching TV in the middle  of the night too!)

On a similar theme, I suspect the multiple advertisers have created a huge budget to organise a scheme that stops TV producers from building in some nosie levelling software. advertisers. The hosue almost rocks off it's foundations when the advertscome on, yet it is hard to distinguish the words being uttered durign the tv program. This does need to be addressed.

0 Likes