Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horizontal lines/Scan lines on Q90T

(Topic created on: 13-04-2021 10:43 AM)
Mortalitas
Explorer
Options

Hi,

Have the 55 inch Q90T and I'm having some issues with it. The main one is horizontal lines or waves moving up the screen constantly. This only occurs in game mode using any of the HDMI ports. The only way to remove them from the TV is to activate Game Motion Plus but I don't want to use this as it adds input lag and reduces picture quality even further than Game Mode already does. It's worth noting this doesn't seem to occur when playing games at 120hz either, such as Fortnite or Cold War.

Any suggestions? I'm looking to return the TV but was hoping for a solution before I do. 

35 REPLIES 35
Mortalitas
Explorer
Options

Bump.

Any Samsung affiliated people want to acknowledge this issue and advise when it will be fixed? It seems to be a firmware issue. 

0 Likes
Swagabean
Journeyman
Options

I have the same issue. I have narrowed it down to occurring whenever the TV is outputting in 4k@60hz with game mode ON and game motion OFF. This doesn’t occur when the TV is outputting 4k@120hz.

Mortalitas
Explorer
Options

Yep exactly the same here. GMP fixes the issue but then dulls the colours and overall picture quality greatly, as well as adding some input lag so it's not really a fix.

It's a shame as the TV isn't perfect but I'm otherwise enjoying watching Netflix and Prime content on it. The game mode does affect the image a lot but I can tolerate that if I don't have these waves going up my screen. 

0 Likes
Mortalitas
Explorer
Options

Bump. Had an engineer out. He didn't have a clue what it was, said he hadn't seen the issue before and was shocked how noticeable it was. Surprising he hadn't seen it before as it's been mentioned a fair bit on these forums, YouTube and Reddit. He is going to refer back to Samsung to see if they're aware of any issues and said it's potentially something that needs fixing with a firmware update. So, ball is back in Samsung's court. Can't wait to hear that nothing is wrong with my TV and I have to put up with it... 

Swagabean
Journeyman
Options

Yep same here. I contacted Samsung to do a repair. The technician came buy, was very puzzled as to why it was happening. They replaced the motherboard and the power unit and the issue still persisted. He said he will contact Samsung and see what they say. I’m definitely starting to think it’s a software issue.

Mortalitas
Explorer
Options

Are you using a PS5? Any experiences with other consoles on the TV?

If it isn't the TV firmware it has to be the PS5. I'm thinking potentially an issue with VRR as it isn't implemented yet on PS5. I've seen people having issues on Xbox SX due to VRR being on and it causing these scan lines so perhaps it'll do the reverse on PS5 if you get my drift? Lol. 

0 Likes
Swagabean
Journeyman
Options

I tried both the PS5 and Xbox Series X. The issue persists on both when they are at 4k@60hz and no VRR. Even my Apple TV has this issue when I turn on Game Mode. On the Series X when I turn on 120hz with VRR the line are also there but they move much faster so it’s less noticeable.

Mortalitas
Explorer
Options

Ah I see. All signs point to a TV firmware issue then it would seem. Keep me posted if you hear anything and I'll do likewise. 

geodion
Journeyman
Options

I have the same issue,  scan lines appear only with game motion plus off at 4k@60Hz.

If i enable game motion or run a game at 4k@120Hz the problem is solved.

Luckily for me the game motion plus adds input lag only on games at 60Hz or 30Hz , when you play a competitive fps game like Cod or Rainbow Six at 120Hz , game motion plus is unavailable.