Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HIGH BUZZING SOUND FROM MY TV - maybe a fan problem ?

(Topic created on: 18-01-2023 02:12 PM)
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

I am hoping some of you technically gifted than me in this group could help me figuring out what why my Samsung QLED 75" Q900R (2018) has started having a very high buzzing sound every time I start up my TV. It is a little over 3 years since I bought it, and I have not had any issues with it as both the picture and sound works fine/flawlessly.

The problem I am experiencing is only when I start my TV - not after the buzz have become quiet. At first it was a not-so-loud buzzing sound that lasted for a few minutes, then it is now a light buzzing (higher than normal “blow”-fan sound) which changed to a higher buzzing after a few seconds (like it is gearing up) and then goes back light buzzing sound again till it stopped. Now the high buzzing sound lasts longer before everything goes quiet again. At first this lasted about 9-12-15 minutes - but then it was a rather high buzzing all the way through which lasted about 26 minutes before going silent again. After that the buzz will not start until I turn my TV off and turn on (start) the TV again.

There are no other issues that I am noticing with my TV. The TV picture is flawless, it works fine even in 4K60Hz on the YouTube app on the TV. There are no issues with the sound from the TV itself. Even the download and upload speed works flawlessly with 104.44 download and 10.43 upload - which is the internet speed I have as an internet connection (100Hz download, and 10 upload). The only flaw I have experienced is with the YouTube app and the stream apps (HBO Max, Netflix and TV2 Play), but I suspect it might be an external internet / WiFi-network problem in which it takes some time to get the videos and its preview-thumbnais loaded when I start the YouTube app, and sometimes a movie or TV-show episode stops in HBO Max, Netflix and TV2 Play app - but I suspect it might be internet or/and WiFi network - as I am not using a cable to connect my TV to the internet. So everything else works flawlessly (that I know of…).

I have checked the temperature on the One Connect Box (OCB) and it use to be very hot, but now it is just “normal hot”, and I suspect the buzz sound does not come from the OCB. The screen panel is not hot or cold - which I seem to remember it used to be hot, which, which I think is strange, but I do not mind - though the buzz sound comes fromt he back panel of the screen. I used to have the TV up on the wall, but now I have it with that stand/“legs” on a TV bench, in which the TV has some more space between the wall and the TV.

This buzzing sound has been going on for about two weeks now. I have done a fabric reset, which did not fix the buzz sound problem. I use my TV a lot during the day and evening/night time. Once or twice during these two weeks, it has happened a few hours after starting the TV and the buzz has ended, but usually it is just a low “fan sound”, which I am guessing indicates either the TV screen panel or OCB regulartes the heat on - but again, the TV screen is not hot.

I suspect it is the fan in the back panel of the TV that makes this “buzz”-sound - but I am not a tech expert. The normal “fan-sound” has not bothered me at all as it has only been a low “zumming sound”, but this rather loud buzz sound I have experienced now is both annoying and a bit concerning.

Can anyone tell me what this is, maybe share experience on how to detect and some check list I should prepare before contacting the Samsung customer service, as I am still within the 5 years “lemon law” thing we have over here in Norway in which we are protected by law as long as we have had an electrical thing with normal use - no accidents or rough use. I am also wondering if this can be fixed through the internet by a tech guy hooking up on my TV, or if I need a technician come over to my home and open up the TV.

If there is anything I can do, or any tips let me know.

Here is a sound clip I made today with the high sounding buzzing sound, which I have uploaded on YouTube - so that you can hear how it sounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq6chcw4iDg

38 REPLIES 38
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @PeerNorway   it could be an issue with the fan, lack of ventilation, insecure cable connection for instance.    Some troubleshooting here samsung-tv-makes-buzzing-crackling-or-humming-sound 

You may need to contact Samsung Support for further assistance though,that is a US link the Uk Samsung Support contact details here https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/ 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

Thanks for taking time and tipping me about that troubleshoot page ! It is just what I needed to find to do some checking before contacting the Samsung support - so I am prepared and have done some troubleshooting on my own.

I am also suspecting it might be the fan, as it usually started up like that when I first got my TV, but the sound has changed to a higher volume and different buzzing-/humming sounds which is really annoying and unnatural behaviour. I find it a bit strange that the TV is not as hot as it used to - but I suspect that is because there is more room behind the TV now that I have it on a stand ("legs") and not hang up on the wall. Same thing with the One Connect Box, as it used to be hot, but now it is not.

I will need a friend to lift the TV so I can check the cable from the One Connect Box - to take it out and reconnect it into the back panel of the screen. I will also check for dust while at it. I will also disconnect and re-connect the power cable, when I do this. I do not have anything else connected to my TV other than an old Apple TV - which I rarely use as it is not 4K, as I have been waiting for Apple TV to release an 8K version, which they just have released these days ! I am eager to finally (and hopefully) test out the 8K function..... I am hoping it will solve the lack of AV1 codec, plus I will then also finally be able to find out what kind of a HDMI port 4 is, as this was supposed to be swapped after the TV was released as it did not come with an HDMI 2.1 port, but we were promised a complementary HDMI 2.1 upgrade when it become available. I got a new OCB which was supposed to have a port, which I later found out was a "mystery port" which Samsung could not tell me if it was an HDMI 2.1 or 2.9, but was promised it will accept 8K60Hz. Up until now this 8K Samsung TV has only been a functional 4K60Hz TV...

PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

My TV's latest firmware is "T-KTM2DEUC-1330.5 , BT - S" by the way. I think this is the latest one, but I have noticed "program update", "self-diagnosis" and "Ask for support" in the "customer support" tab is inactive. Not sure if it is supposed to be that, but when the latest 1330.5 firmware update happened, it happened automatically...

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
Yes that is the latest firmware. If you are in an app need to exit out of that and try Self Diagnosis again. However may need to try a Factory Reset to see if that sorts it .

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

Okay, exit out all apps, then check if the Self-Diagnosis is active and run that, if not Factory Reset and then try again. I will do this when my friend is over. Thank you again James for your help.

PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

@JAMES4578 you were correct, the "Self-Diagnosis" got active after I closed all apps as you said. I also got to do a check if I got the latest firmware, and I have it (as you confirmed). About the "Self-Diagnosis", I tested the picture test, sound test and "Smart Hub Connection", and all seemed good. The "Signal Information" was inactive, so I was not able to run that. I have done a factory reset again (the 2nd. one which I did do last week when this buzzing problem had lasted about a week's time).

Tomorrow I will have a friend over,  to check screen back-panel and cables.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@PeerNorway  Thanks for confirming, need to see if the steps provide any solution though.

PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

I hope so.... I let you know. Thank you again for your help @JAMES4578 ! I am not that technical, but I understand when explained and getting some push in the right direction.

PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

@JAMES4578 the strangest thing happened today: When I started my TV twice - once in the morning and once in the evening - on both times there was no buzzing or humming sound in the start up (or after) ! What kind of worries me a little now is that I do not hear the fan, which should automatically start  when the TV starts up. I only hear a very low fan-sound on the left side of the TV... Anyways, the moderator of the Nordic Samsung forum advised me that I have a Samsung technician over to check my TV thoroughly - and hopefully do a full check to find out what has been going on for a little over two weeks now (since 2nd. or 3rd. January). I hope he can bring an EDID equipment to test out the four HDMI ports which are behind my TV as one of them should "accept 8K60Hz" though Samsung will not reveal what kind of port it is (if it is HDMI 2.1 or 2.0).