Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDR+ mode

(Topic created on: 09-06-2020 04:17 PM)
Edgie70
Troubleshooter
Options

Hi all , I've tried the hdr+ setting on my ue49mu6500 TV and when watching sky hd the picture goes dim , is that what it does or does the TV need setting up again but with hdr+ turned on? Thanks 

0 Likes
29 REPLIES 29
Ethan8
Journeyman
Options
Unfortunately the HDR mode overides the other settings
0 Likes
rickatk
Explorer
Options
I found that the HDR mode is there to simulate HDR in standard def views. I turned it off. Fact is I turned off most enhancements and would like to turn of HDR and just have 4K if that is possible. HDR looks artificial.
0 Likes
Ethan8
Journeyman
Options
I would run with movie mode with a warm 2 setting and just let the tv and player do its job of outputting HDR. Also turning off contrast enhancer and setting your baclight mid range, colour and tint mid range and lowering your sharpness to 15 or 20. Adding max shapness causes edge enhancement and ringing around objects. From what ive heard the movie setting without any additional setting turned on produces the most accurate in colours, whites and blacks!
0 Likes
Mike0902
Journeyman
Options

HDR is only active when a true HDR broadcast is being received not when watching normal non HDR channels. I agree, HDR looks horrible especially noticeable on some Amazon Prime broadcasts, but watch 4K HDR videos on YouTube and they look great because they don't activate the TV's HDR mode. The simulated HDR+ is a waste of space, it washes out the colours and just makes the picture look flat and uninteresting. All in all if what I've seen of true HDR broadcasts is the norm I've come to the conclusion I don't like it which flies in the face of what everyone says about HDR. Either I'm not normal or the TV isn't. 

Ethan8
Journeyman
Options

Theres no right or wrong. Its to do with personal preference. I personally dont like movie mode though its meant to be the most accurate way to watch most things and its recommended by experts. I think it looks yellow and dull compared to the more natural setting. But eh.. thats just me

rickatk
Explorer
Options
Agree: There is no right or wrong way. These posts are merely suggestions based on people’s experiences and should only be taken that way. I also agree while HDR+ added to standard broadcasts pale in comparison to real HDR broadcasts, the finished results of HDR broadcast look so perfect they appear surreal and take some getting used to. Aquaman was an absolute piece of visual art!
0 Likes
Mike0902
Journeyman
Options

No it's not just you, I've tried to watch TV using movie mode and it looks bloody horrible. Yes picture takes on a yellow tint and lacking contrast. Those that say turn the sharpness down to zero must like watching SD broadcasts. 50% is about right which is the default setting. I seem to be at odds with everything these so called armchair 'experts' say. 

Ethan8
Journeyman
Options

I call these so called settings gimmick settings. Lol. Took me ages to realise that the gamma settings are not meant to be tanpered with by the casual watcher. It can be a bit of a mind field though i just tend to set some settings mid way and if there's an auto option I would normally run with that in case anything is switched on or off that shouldnt be. Let the tv abd player do some work 😁

0 Likes
rickatk
Explorer
Options

@Ethan8 wrote:

I call these so called settings gimmick settings. Lol. Took me ages to realise that the gamma settings are not meant to be tanpered with by the casual watcher. It can be a bit of a mind field though i just tend to set some settings mid way and if there's an auto option I would normally run with that in case anything is switched on or off that shouldnt be. Let the tv abd player do some work 😁

Indeed. I tend to go with the presets. Less fiddling.

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Personally I like to experiment with settings , I do have some technical knowledge but am not exactly an expert.    Frankly even if you adversely  affect the picture with some tweaks, should be straightforward to change it back again.  of course there is always the default setting, but that may not necessarily give the best result.   of course there  is no one setting suits all, we have different personal preferences.    I think though that Movie or standard mode is generally better, can depend on content. For UHD would tend to go with Standard and my other settings tend to be around the mid range.

A bit about Gamma here : https://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/what-is-gamma 

Some advice about calibration : rtings.com/tv/learn/how-to-calibrate-your-tv 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.