Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDR Game mode Sharpness artifacts

(Topic created on: 19-11-2020 12:48 AM)
ipokampo
First Poster
Options

Hi, I have a 2018 75” Q9FN with PS4/XB1X and with many games that enable 4K HDR, I found an issue with the game mode and the default sharpness setting of 10: it produces a lot of white artifacts on foliage and other “black lines over white backgrounds” like bushes on snow, grass, tree leafs and branches etc... the problem is the sharpness is applied when the game camera stays still, but if you move around the camera (using the R-stick) the sharpness will be briefly removed until the camera stops moving, and then reapplied again...producing something like a flash or flicker effect (due to having white artifacts, then briefly no, and then yes again very fast) .

It is a lot more noticeable in some games than other, examples of games that have this issue: Red Dead Redemption 2 (XB1X), God of war(PS4), Spiderman(PS4), Horizon Zero Dawn...

This never happens in SDR.

Is very distracting and annoying and the only solution I’ve found so far is to lower sharpness in HDR game mode to 4 or bellow (sometimes only at 0 it gets completely solved)

I’ve tried many test patterns for sharpness and all of them present white artifacts with sharpness above 1 or 2, getting really visible at 4-5. This only happens with HDR content. SDR content, sharpness 10 is perfect.

so, question is, for this Tv, is sharpness 10 the actual zero? And sharpness 0 means -10 so then blurry/softened image? I’m so used to have sharpness at 10 that anything below 8 looks blurry to my eyes honestly. 

I can’t notice this issue on HDR film content, when obviously the same sharpness is being applied, and if I look at the same test patterns in non game mode HDR, i can still see a lot of white artifacts with the setting above 0.

SDR present minimum white artifacts with sharpness at 10, only noticeable if you stare at 10cm from the tv.

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8
Gavinh
Helping Hand
Options
try turning off the motion blur on the actual game settings. not sure why people use TV's for gaming you're better off with a monitor 144hz makes a TV look trash.
0 Likes
ipokampo
First Poster
Options

Thanks for the idea, but is not a problem of blur, is the sharpness processor trying to apply sharpness on black thin objects over white backgrounds...whenever the objects moves fast on the screen, the sharpness processor removes the applied white highlights and when the object stops, it applies it again....in fast motion, it looks like parts of the screen go darker and brighter in fractions of seconds, hence the "flashes" or "flickering" effect, its very distracting.

Like I said, no other solution than turn sharpness all the way down to zero.

My question is, for this Tv, is Sharpness 0 the real zero? or is it some kind of -10 smothing sharpness?

0 Likes
pastormtitus
Apprentice
Options

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't sharpness always be set low for the best picture quality? Is there a particular reason you want/need sharpness set at 10 or above? From all research I've done about best picture settings, sharpness should be set low or at 0.

You may want to look in the Game Mode settings as well, there's an option (can't think of it off the top of my head at the moment as I'm not in front of my TV) that is supposed to increase sharpness in games to make it easier to discern enemies. It seems like when you put sharpness above 10 you're adding more noise to the picture that doesn't need to be there and when coupled with that Game Mode part, it's making the picture quality worse for you.

0 Likes
Gavinh
Helping Hand
Options
hi buddy I believe its real 0 I can't be to sure about it but to my knowledge its 0. sounds silly but try switching up the HDMI as that plays a huge part in sharpness etc.
0 Likes
ipokampo
First Poster
Options

That is exactly what i'm trying to figure out. Is Sharpness 10 the actual zero? or is it +10 sharpness?

What is the best fidelity to what the PS4 is sending through the HDMI? Sharpness 0 or 10? Thats the real deal.

0 Likes
pastormtitus
Apprentice
Options

Did you try turning off Game Motion Plus in the Game Mode settings? Or adjusting the Blur and Judder reduction within that setting?

0 Likes
xown
First Poster
Options

Looks like people don't understand the problem.

Small experiment for everyone - in windows open a "display parameters" window, where you can switch HDR on/off. Activate HDR, don't close that window, then start increasing sharpnes on TV.  Scared now? Look at these types, glow effects - it is completelly unreadable. 

Turn off HDR. Increase sharpness now. Everything is perfect even on max level.  

Rephrase the question. What sharpness algoritm does different for HDR that destroys the "same" simple picture completely? 

0 Likes
koftehor
First Poster
Options

I have a samsung mu 7400 and i have the exact same issue with my tv. Especially in horizon and ghost of tsushima when i move the camera the trees is slighly get darker and i see some artifact. When i set sharpness to 0 it gone. But i think image getting blurier if i set it to 0. How did you fix it? (Sorry for my English it is not my native language)

0 Likes