Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDMI ARC works but not for Apps

(Topic created on: 19-12-2018 12:37 AM)
GrahamUK
Apprentice
Options

I have just installed a UE65NU8070 and connected it up to my Onkyo TX-NR709.  The TV is connected using HDMI4 (ARC) to Main TV HDMI on Onkyo.  AnyNet+ enabled, CEC working, receiver recognised by TV etc.

When using the TV's turners I get audio via ARC to the Onkyo, all good, but when I load up an app such as NetFlix, Amazon, Rakuten, iPlayer etc I get no audio via ARC at all!

This TV replaces a Samsung PS51E6500RU which worked perfectly in exactly the same setup (receiver, cables, everything still the same) with all tuners and Apps providing audio to the Onkyo via ARC.

ARC seems to be a particular issue for Samsung TVs at the moment judging by these forums but clearly they can make it work as proved by my old Samsung set.

Come on Samsung, sort this out!   It's not rocket science and is a basic requirement for a TV at this level and price!

8 REPLIES 8
Zakaria_E
Pathfinder
Options

Hello,

In order to have the sound on the applications, you can do this manipulation:
Home> Settings> Sound> Expert Settings> Digital Audio Output Format> PCM

I hope that my answer will be useful to you.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Zakaria_E wrote:

Hello,

In order to have the sound on the applications, you can do this manipulation:
Home> Settings> Sound> Expert Settings> Digital Audio Output Format> PCM

I hope that my answer will be useful to you.

Not sure about that. If you want Dolby digital+ sent through the arc    then it needs to be set to DD+.  I have had a ks 9500, q9f and the q900r and if you have it set to pcm you do not get DD+ pass through. In fact the default did not send anything through and you have to change to bitstream. 

GrahamUK
Apprentice
Options

I have tried both PCM and Bitsream and whilst ARC works for the TV tuner I can not seem to get audio out of Apps using any settings except to the TV's speakers.  At the moment I'm using an optical link from TV to Onkyo which is far from ideal as it upsets the CEC control in some areas.

I will give it another go with PCM when I have more time to see if I can get anything out of Apps via ARC.

Thank you both for your suggestions!

0 Likes
Eveneziale
First Poster
Options

Has anyone figured out how to correct this issue?  I currently have the same issue with my Samsung and Onkyo.

0 Likes
Jottes
First Poster
Options

I Just bought a Q82R. The issue seems still to exist! Switching the Output Formats PCM/Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital + has no effect. 

I just read an article which states that the native Apps automatically use Dolby Digital +. 

In my Setup i use a Marantz SR 6010 which should bei capable to manage all Formats/Codecs. 

Has this Problem not been solved for more then two years???

0 Likes
Chadster19
Apprentice
Options

Bumping this up i have the same issue with my Samsung un43n5300, the sound does not play when using the TV apps, but works for everything else, including youtube casting to the TV. I have a very basic Toshiba 2.1 sound bar connected via HDMI ARC. This should be solved by a simple software update Samsung !

0 Likes
ShihabKH
Student
Options

Same problem in CUE70 2023 tv. Its working for dth receiver and tv toggle sound but not for   tv apps 

0 Likes
Lfyfe
First Poster
Options

Same issue with Samsung series 8 and pioneer vsx-528 receiver.

0 Likes