Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grainy image with the QE85QN900B

(Topic created on: 18-02-2023 08:30 PM)
leila88
Apprentice
Options

I bought the 8K QE85QN900B QLED tv at the end of August. It was delivered and set up a month later.

Everything seemed good at first bit now when I watch stuff on streaming (Disney+)and on 4K player the image is grainy. The occasional film (Avengers: Endgame) looks fantastic. Yet a lot of the stuff I watch has a grainy look to it. 

I've fiddled with the settings. I've changed HDMI cables. I've gone back to factory settings. I've switched off intelligent mode, played with sharpness.

Even with the last Star Wars film (Rise of Skywalker) on 4K its got a grainy picture quality to it. This is on both a 4K player and Disney+ via streaming. It shouldn't look this bad, should it?

It could be this was always there when I got the TV.

Even when I watch animation shows which are HD still look really bad with a grainy quality quite evident in the background. 

Gaming is fine. Normal TV looks fibe but I do not use very much.

Is there something to fix this or is it faulty because its such a high powered TV that it can upgrade stuff and its therefore making things look worse?

Is there a fix for this? 

5 REPLIES 5
leila88
Apprentice
Options
Hi efx,
Thank you for the advice! I will certainly try what you've suggested!
I have also realised that if I sit further away from the tv I don't always see the grain. I didn't calibrate my TV with my smartphone. Is this something I should do?
I'm sure it is something in my settings rather than source quality as everything looked fine on my 4K tv when I had it!
0 Likes
leila88
Apprentice
Options
Hi efx,
I am definitely less then 12ft away. I'm probably only 8ft away. I can't really move back any further without changing my living room, and that isn't really an option.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S20 4k phone so calibrating should be something I can do.

I usually use STD mode. I find movie mode quite green though I can always adjust it! I have turned sharpness down to 0 with STD mode. I will experiment with movie mode though!
Thank you so much for all your advice!
0 Likes
leila88
Apprentice
Options
I just wanted to thank you for all the advice as it appears I've now fixed the issues after playing around with the settings!

Though I am now getting the occasional blurring with very fast moving images and I've got blur reduction and judder reduction up to 10. But because I've been looking for issues, I now notice it! But it's not that disruptive so I could probably live with it... I probably just need to do an adjustment on my settings somewhere to fix that remaining issue!
0 Likes
leila88
Apprentice
Options
Thank you. And I've now fixed the other issue! Had to turn judder reduction down to 0 to fix!
0 Likes
Geepstar
First Poster
Options

You played with sharpness. I found out that when watching 8K on youtube and setting sharpness to 20 and forgetting it to set back to 10 when watching 4K it also gets a grainy look. I must also say that (had that with my previous Samsung TV also) I have trouble finding the right settings that work for all my devices. And since I have routed everything through my Marantz SR8015 I have only 1 input to the TV so, I can't get different settings for all devices. (but now I am going a  bit off topic) 

0 Likes