Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Google Assistant on 2020 Q80t

(Topic created on: 24-10-2020 07:21 AM)
BigSteef
Apprentice
Options

Hi

i got my TV yesterday and given its now Q4, expected my new tv to have the Google Assistant.

As instructed here: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00087603/

i tried to update the firmware over the air - no update available. I have now updated with USB to version: 01402.2020-09-29 (1402.6) and still only Alexa and Bixby.

I see lots of forum posts on the US forums that they have Google Assistant - is this a UK thing?

any assistance is appreciated.

thanks 

35 REPLIES 35
BarryChuckle
Explorer
Options

I got mine today. Quite impressive compared to my old Sony Android TV.

Anyway, I thought the same thing, haven't updated to 1402.6 yet but, I did go to the apps and downloaded "Explore Google assistant" which, when I opened it, it went through the setup of Google assistant. M

My phonerecognised the TV in the setup through Google Home. To use it, I need to push the mic button on the smart remote.

Google home on my phone has it as an icon for the TV but says it can't connect. 

Still playing with it to be honest but it looks like it's there sort of. 

0 Likes
BigSteef
Apprentice
Options
Even after downloading the explore Google assistant app and pressing the activate now link, still only alexa and bixby.

I must be doing something wrong. But what? 20201022_204911_2521.jpg
0 Likes
BarryChuckle
Explorer
Options

After installing explore Google assistant, I can get it to work by pressing and holding the mic button on the remote. 

However, the TV settings for Voice now just go to a blue blank screen for about 10 secs and then it goes to the picture. No option to change to any other Voice. I may uninstall and reinstall Explore Google Assistant again or update to 1402.6 and see what happens. 

0 Likes
Solution
BigSteef
Apprentice
Options

Samsung have confirmed that Google Assistant is not yet available on the device

BigSteef_0-1603823464128.png

BigSteef_1-1603823481361.png

very disappointing from Samsung who state on their website 

"*Google Assistant service not yet available, coming in Q3 2020."

and its now Q4.

0 Likes
BarryChuckle
Explorer
Options

After updating to latest firmware, I can confirm that Google assistant is showing in the settings as the voice assistant in the TV settings. You have to press and hold the mic button on the smart remote to use it. 

0 Likes
BarryChuckle
Explorer
Options

I've got it installed and working on a Q80T. See my reply above. Sorry I didn't see this one before I sent it. 

0 Likes
Yorken
First Poster
Options

I just got my Q80T and there's no google assistant nor alexa. I can only choose bixby even I have updated to the latest firmware 1460. The support in Denmark said google assistant is not yet available for the nordic countries. It's so disappointing. It feels like discrimination!

LMulvey
Student
Options

Same here–we got a Q80T yesterday in Canada. Box says Google Assistant. No Google Assistant to be found. Any updates for markets other than the US?

Nader_K
First Poster
Options

I'm in Canada and Only Bixby & Alexa available.

• First support agent asked me to manually download new firmware 1460.9 on a usb and manually update the tv. I did so and it still only had Bixby & Alexa.

• Second Support agent gets back to me saying that they are still working on enabling google assitant and it's delayed because of covid.

I'm disappointed because my home is entirely kitted out with google assitant and the tv is the only thing that does not follow suit.