Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting The Frame CEC functions working properly with FireStick

(Topic created on: 23-12-2019 02:09 PM)
MattVolatile
First Poster
Options

I have a 55" 2019 Frame and a 4k Amazon FireStick. I'm trying to get the CEC functionality working properly between them so I only need to use one remote and am failing miserably. 

Currently, the FireStick remote works fine to turn up the volume on the TV and to power the TV on and off, but hitting the Home button doesn't switch HDMI inputs as should be expected.

My TV remotes don't control the FireStick when it's on, as should be expected.

I've tried everything -- factory resets, re-pairing the remotes, checked the HDMI-CEC settings, changing the FireStick to a different HDMI port, powering down the TV. Nothing works! Any bright ideas gratefully received as this has really soured my experience of the new TV.

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
MattVolatile
First Poster
Options

OK... I found out what the problem was here, or at least... I've discovered that the problem lies elsewhere.

I disconnected the other HDMI device from my OneConnect box, reinstalled the FireStick, and all now works as expected -- the FS detected as a FireStick, including bringing up the logo for the input, and both the FS remote and the Samsung remotes work correctly. The device I unplugged was a laptop connected into a dock, plugged to the OneConnect with a DVI-HDMI cable.

However: if I reconnect the laptop, the TV  and FS remotes stop working properly, and I'm back to my original issue. 

Clearly, then, the issue is now with how the TV understands CEC when there's a computer plugged in. What should I try next?

0 Likes
MattVolatile
First Poster
Options
A post on the Microsoft forums suggests that using a passive rather than active DVI-HDMI cable can interrupt CEC signals, so I'm off to try a new cable...
0 Likes
sgai71
First Poster
Options

@MattVolatile wrote:

I have a 55" 2019 Frame and a 4k Amazon FireStick. I'm trying to get the CEC functionality working properly between them so I only need to use one remote and am failing miserably. 

Currently, the FireStick remote works fine to turn up the volume on the TV and to power the TV on and off, but hitting the Home button doesn't switch HDMI inputs as should be expected.

My TV remotes don't control the FireStick when it's on, as should be expected.

I've tried everything -- factory resets, re-pairing the remotes, checked the HDMI-CEC settings, changing the FireStick to a different HDMI port, powering down the TV. Nothing works! Any bright ideas gratefully received as this has really soured my experience of the new TV.

There is a chap at work who can jig an Amazon Firestick to receive Sky, BT Sports etc, as it works vie the Internet is it illegal to use, eg could I get rid of my Sky and thus save the monthly subscriptions, or could I one day get a knock on the door ?

0 Likes