Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

gamma issue with Samsung MU6400

(Topic created on: 19-05-2018 12:39 AM)
daneturner
First Poster
Options

Hi.
I have an issue, that I'm trying to speak to Samsung about, but they're not quite understanding.

4K content thats displayed via the TV itself (Netflix/Amazon etc) is great. No issues.

The problem seems to be the stuff I'm feeding it via either Apple TV or my UBD9500 4k UHD Blu-Ray player.

On some 4k sources that i feed the TV (such as Apple TV 4k, and some 4K disks such as Planet earth 2) the TV defaults to BT.1886 and to my eye, that looks fine, with a few tweaks here and there.

However, other 4K disks (Fantastic Beasts, Harry potter, Close Encounters, Blade Runner etc) all force the TV to default to ST.2084 and the gamma looks all wrong. people's faces lose detail and are too bright, and there's no way of changing it (seemingly)

Can anyone suggest what might be happening and if theres a way to change it?

I should add that i bought pretty expensive HDMI2 cables to be sure the data transfer was solid!

Thanks for any help.

10 REPLIES 10
Radamantis_SC
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem when playing videos and images from my ps4pro, also it happens to me that when watching series or movies in hdr from netflix app of the tv, the brightness of the image gets out of adjustment when I stop playing the video and restart it, which curiously is corrected by playing a hdr video on youtube. I think it may be a problem with the gamma and the contrast enhancer, since also in the "standard" image mode when I play a hdr video and change the contrast enhancer from low to high and vice versa, it shows that one step more between these two.

0 Likes
this_apj
First Poster
Options

Hi all,

I too am having a similar issue with a Q6F - 55inch. Everytime I customize the HDR look on my TV and select Gamma: BT 1886, it will hold for 10-15 sec. before switching back to ST. 2084. The change in picture profile is quite severe, going from a lush and evenly lit picture to a dark and desaturated image. This happens using the native streaming apps on the TV and also in Apple TV. I have tried turning off all other automatic picture options in the settings tab, but alas, I am not able to retain the BT. 1886 profile.

I read somewhere on rtings.com that the TV defaults to ST. 2084 by default, but this seems strange. If Samsung is giving us the option to customize the picture profile down to the gamma, then you would think the settings would hold in place and not switch back to some automatic default.

I am thinking this is a bug, unless someone else has a solution.

0 Likes
Solution
Chris7588247
Student
Options

Hello all, I just ran into the same issue and did some searching. When a tv detects different content meta data , it will automatically change the Gamma Option to the correct value . For SDR content the Gamma Value is BT1886. For HDR content the Gamma Value is ST2084, which explains why our settings  change from BT1886 to ST2084 (going from an SDR to HDR content).  If running Netflix from an external source (xbox, blu ray player etc) I believe it is the same concept .

If your picture quality doesn't look good under ST2084 and the content is HDR, I would suggest calibrating your settings via the TV's menu. I have added a link to a video which walks you step by step for  calibration. At the 9:45 mark is where the Gamma section of the video starts . 

Lastly, if for some reason you still want to use BT1886 for HDR content (even though you shouldn't), I found if you select HDR+ mode , it will allow you to manually change back to BT1886 from ST2084

Solution
Chris7588247
Student
Options
Phrosda1
First Poster
Options

I have this issue too and is REALLY annoying. Looking for a solution.

0 Likes
Phrosda1
First Poster
Options

I just unplugged my apple tv 4k from the stupid one connect thing. Then i did a reset on the tv. Plugged in the apple box and went through set up again. Seems to be working and hasn't switched back. (For now)

0 Likes
Ethan8
Journeyman
Options

I have this debate when using the HDR+mode. It displays 4k discs in the ST gamma and Standard HD discs in BT as mentioned. My resolve was to turn down the gamma on ST setting for UHD to (-2) this stops faces looking smooth and DNR'd to hell. The image may appear to put a shadow over the faces ar first but when in playback it looks pretty natural. 

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Certainly it is necessary at times to experiment with settings.   Have an MU6400  and do not seem to have much of an issue with the  Gamma on 4k discs.   Thanks for sharing your experience @Ethan8 .

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Ethan8
Journeyman
Options
Thanks. I have a Samsung UE65MU6120 possibly from 2016. Not the greatest but deffo far from the worst, it was a great affordable 65 inch UHD tv though not Dolby Vision compatable and a LED screen. I was thinking of either going in for a Samsung OLED or QLED but choosing a tv nowadays is like walking through a minefield and within a year or so something else boasts something better. Lol. Any recommendations? Without spending thousands?