Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GameMode not working with HDMI 2.1 (RTX 3090),Samsung 2020 QLED [1402] Update !!!!!!

(Topic created on: 30-09-2020 10:23 PM)
RouDeR
Pathfinder
Options

Background:
TV is 75 inch Q800T (EU version), but I assume this will affect all of the 2020 Samsung TVs
Software is version 1402.6 (updated Octomber 8th)
HDMI Cable 2.1 certified full 48gbps
The same HDMI cable works just fine with HDMI 2.0 GPUs like my old GTX 1080Ti (Game Mode works flawlessly there)
Current GPU:  RTX 3090 with latest Nvidia drivers

What is working as intended when using the HDMI 2.1 port and RTX 3090 as a source::
* Outside of game mode I don't have any problems, I can run at 4k@120hz RGB 10 bit or 8k@60hz 4:2:0 10 bit without any problems.

What does NOT work when using the HDMI 2.1 port and RTX 3090 as a source:
* If you turn on Game Mode, the TV picture goes BLACK and it looses signal
This happens disregarding on what resolution and refreshrate you are playing, I`ve tried the following:
- 1440p@60hz Input Signal Plus ON
- 1440p@60hz Input Signal Plus OFF
- 1440p@120hz Input Signal Plus ON
- 4k@60hz Input Signal Plus ON
- 4k@60hz Input Signal Plus OFF
- 4k@120hz Input Signal Plus ON

- 8k@60hz Input Signal Plus ON
NONE of them was able to switch to Game Mode !!!

However
If the RTX 3090 is connected to one of the HDMI 2.0 ports of the TV, Game Mode is perfectly functional, but then you are restricted to 4k60hz and 8k@30hz

SUMMARY:

Spoiler
Game Mode does not work AT ALL on the HDMI 2.1 port when HDMI 2.1 source is Attached.

60 REPLIES 60
Chast
Explorer
Options

finally someone has tested hdmi 2.1! embarrassing results lol

however, gsync hdmi-vrr requires an hdmi 2.1 port, needless to test it on 2.0 ports

0 Likes
daparky
Pathfinder
Options

I've also found out that VRR is restricted to 60hz at 4k.

0 Likes
RouDeR
Pathfinder
Options

Q800T and Q900T are G-sync capable on the HDMI 2.0 ports with RTX 20 and 30 series 
This is according to rtings.com review
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q800t-qled

@Chast wrote:

finally someone has tested hdmi 2.1! embarrassing results lol

however, gsync hdmi-vrr requires an hdmi 2.1 port, needless to test it on 2.0 ports

Note that I was testing with 1440p and 4k @Anonymous User hz , in all of them the G-sync was not working (was causing huge flickers or just  black screen)

0 Likes
jdk2087
Pioneer
Options

My dude......you’re on the old firmware. There’s a new firmware update that addresses this and fixed the game mode dimming bug while making a lot of other improvements. While I thank you for testing this, I’d be curious to see what it’s like on the new firmware that dropped yesterday. 

RouDeR
Pathfinder
Options

The Game Mode bug is not fixed in the firmware from yesterday,  what was fixed was the dimming in Game Mode.

This thead is about the Entire Game Mode not working with HDMI 2.1 sources.

0 Likes
jdk2087
Pioneer
Options

There is a thread at the top of this page with 100k+ views and almost 100 pages of comments about the dimming bug. You’re still on update 1304 which means you don’t have the new firmware and your testing was pointless. 

LCDeez
Navigator
Options

For one, pretty sure QLEDs only support Freesync not Gsync like OLEDs. Correct me if I’m wrong here.

0 Likes
jdk2087
Pioneer
Options

Correct. Q series supports premium freesync. 

0 Likes
LCDeez
Navigator
Options

Solid point, haven’t heard of testing done with the latest firmware. 

0 Likes