Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Game mode off/on black screen PS5

(Topic created on: 08-12-2020 07:00 PM)
Rogeey
Journeyman
Options

Purchased a Samsung Q90T 75” specifically for gaming. At random intervals the tv randomly flickers black and turns game mode off then on. I’ve tried a whole host of setting changes to see if I can work around the issue but no luck so far. HDMI 2.1 cable is brand new so this is not to blame. This appears to be a software fault dating back to 2019 so why is it not fixed? Any help appreciated. Technician is booked to try ‘repair’ this fault, but failing that il be returning for a refund and jump ship to the LG CX

93 REPLIES 93
Jambomakaveli
First Poster
Options

Is it definitely it switching game mode on and off that causes the black screen? I get no message at all or no label etc....

so how is it known that it’s switching from gaming mode and back?

and then, if that is the case, and the problem is exactly known.... why haven’t they addressed it?

0 Likes
Rogeey
Journeyman
Options

For me the issue was definitely the tv having an issue detecting the console so turns off game mode then detects it and puts game mode back on. I did testing with on/off game mode. Game mode ‘off’ fixed issue, but game mode ‘on’ created black screen with no label as you’re having. Main reason I wanted the tv was for game mode so turning it off is stupid hence me returning the tv 

0 Likes
Jambomakaveli
First Poster
Options

With regards to what you just said.....

I went for my last try of hdmi ports and moved to number 4....

my game was really sluggish, felt horrible. 

checked the tv menu.... game mode was off. 

it’s then I realised playing g with it off isn’t an option. 

so far after around 2 hours play on hdmi4, I’ve had no black screen or sound drops. 

0 Likes
Ajmarti82
Apprentice
Options

That sounds like a coin flip fix. Does Samsung even comment on these posts?

0 Likes
Jambomakaveli
First Poster
Options

I don’t hold out much hope.... I’ve had the problem on hdmi 1,2 and 3, so can’t see what would be so special about 4.

it blows my mind that this could very well most likely be an issue they either don’t acknowledge, or don’t fix. 

so I’ve paid £1000 for their tv, and now I can’t play my £400 Ps5 on it. Great!

0 Likes
Rogeey
Journeyman
Options

HDMI 4 may well be your best bet as HDMI 4 is the game port on slightly more recent TVs so potentially they are geared up for it even without officially naming it game port?

0 Likes
Jambomakaveli
First Poster
Options

Didn’t realise that!

ive had 2 hours on warzone and just had an hour on Cold War, and it hasn’t  happened. 

why would it do it so frequently on the ps5, yet it never once done it in 3 years of the PS4 pro?

0 Likes
Ajmarti82
Apprentice
Options

My 7 only has 2 hdmi where I have my setup as well so it's not one hdmi on a series 7 since tested both

0 Likes
Jambomakaveli
First Poster
Options

Just a bit of an update....

changing to hdmi 4, I thought had done the job. Didn’t get the issue for a whole day. 

then today it came back with a vengeance!

playing warzone was impossible. Literally driving, then black screen for 3 seconds, or see an enemy, just about to shoot him, black screen for 3 seconds, comes back on... dead!

I then thought right.... ok, so it’s game mode that’s the problem, I can’t play with it off, but let’s just make sure that’s the issue...

turned game mode off expecting it to be fine... and literally a few seconds after turning it off I had it 3 times. 

so game mode is definitely not what my problem is. 

my next attempt at a fix was.... unplugging both ends of my connect box cable.... and changing ends, then plugging it back in, and also removing my sky q hdmi cable from the connect box. So the only thing plugged into it is my ps5 in hdmi port 4.

I have also in the last 10 minutes emailed John Lewis. I purchased the tv from them online in December 2016. I have detailed everything and will see what they say. 

it seems their TVs come with a 5 year guarantee, so I’m hopeful they can sort something because there’s absolutely no way this is something you can get past or live with. 

What I can say with great certainty is that I will never buy another Samsung product ever again. 

0 Likes
Ajmarti82
Apprentice
Options

Yes as stated this is not a port, HDMI or any issue other than the TV itself. Works just fine no issues on my other 3 tv's. 2 samsungs nothing but issues. Unless Samsung is going to not only refund me but install my tv's again. This is beyond ridiculous that they haven't even responded to my direct messages regarding this. I'm sure they will give me the old IT handbook or blame Sony but been in this business for too long to fall for that. 

0 Likes