Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeview Play

(Topic created on: 15-02-2023 05:28 PM)
Kiwiem
First Poster
Options

Hi, I recently ditched Sky and also bought a new Samsung TV. I specifically asked the person in the shop (Curry's) about the Freeview play app and was assured that I would be able access it. Now, when I finally have my aerial sorted, I find out it's not supported.

I have terrestrial TV but want the capability to record, pause, rewind etc. How do I do this? Do I now have to buy a Freeview recorder box and would that even work? And if so, can someone please recommend one?

Thanks.

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Hi @Kiwiem 

To enable us to look into this for you, could we take the full model code and current software version of your TV please? Go to Home > Settings > Support > About This TV.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

HI @Kiwiem  That is unfortunately the case at the moment,a far as I am aware  currently Samsung do not support Freeview Play natively on any set.   However a set Top Box would work.https://robotpoweredhome.com/freeview-on-samsung-tv/ 

I could not recommend a particular one (do not use Freeview a great deal myself) but the available Freeview Play Boxes are detailed on this link .  tps://www.freeview.co.uk/get-freeview/products 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

ShaneMarkson
First Poster
Options

It's understandable that you're frustrated with the situation you're in. Freeview Play is a great app that offers a wide range of features such as recording, pausing, and rewinding live TV. Unfortunately, not all smart TVs support the app, which can be disappointing if you were led to believe otherwise.

But don't worry, there are still options available to you if you want to enjoy these features. One option is to purchase a separate Freeview recorder box. This device will connect to your TV and allow you to access Freeview channels, as well as record and pause live TV. However, it's important to make sure that the box you choose is compatible with your TV.

When selecting a Freeview recorder box, there are a few things to consider. First, you'll want to make sure that the box is compatible with your TV and the aerial you're using. You can usually find this information in the product specifications or by contacting the manufacturer.

Second, you'll want to consider the storage capacity of the box. If you plan to record a lot of shows, you'll need a box with a large enough hard drive to store them all. Some boxes also offer the option to expand the storage with an external hard drive.

Third, you may want to look for a box that offers additional features, such as access to streaming apps or the ability to connect to the internet for on-demand content.

When it comes to specific recommendations, there are several Freeview recorder boxes available on the market. Here are a few options to consider:

1. Humax FVP-5000T 500GB Freeview Play Recorder: This box offers 500GB of storage and the ability to record up to four shows at once. It also offers access to streaming apps like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.

2. Manhattan T3-R 1TB Freeview Play Recorder: This box offers 1TB of storage and the ability to record up to four shows at once. It also has a built-in Wi-Fi connection for easy access to on-demand content.

3. Panasonic DMR-HWT250EB Freeview Play Recorder: This box offers 1TB of storage and the ability to record up to two shows at once. It also offers access to streaming apps and has a built-in Wi-Fi connection.

Ultimately, the Freeview recorder box you choose will depend on your specific needs and budget. But with the right device, you should be able to enjoy all the features you were hoping for with Freeview Play.