Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Frame TV displaying Apple/Fire TV boxes in black and white

(Topic created on: 16-02-2023 03:28 PM)
Stacey83
Apprentice
Options

I’ve had the 2021 Frame TV for just over a year and have a really frustrating issue that I hope someone can help with.

Whenever I press my Apple TV remote to start up the Apple box, after a few seconds the Samsung screen will turn blue with the message that it’s scanning for devices. If I don’t hit the back button on the Samsung remote quickly enough, it will take me to Apple TV but will start displaying it in black and white.
The Samsung tv itself and all of the tv apps it hosts will continue to display in colour as normal, but for Apple TV I need to swap around the hdmi cables connected to it. This then brings up the “scanning for devices” message again and gives me time to press the back button on the remote, which returns  Apple TV to displaying in colour as normal. Really frustrating but I’ve lived with this for a year now.

Before I discovered the trick of swapping hdmi cables around,  I thought the issue was with the Apple box, but Apple kindly replaced it for me and nothing changed. I’ve since tried using many different hdmi cables, tried every possible Samsung display/accessibility setting (even though the tv itself doesn’t have the issue), and nothing works. I haven’t been able to find this specific issue on any forum either. 

Today, I connected a new 4k Firestick to the tv and the same thing happened but even pressing the back button on the remote doesn’t help. It will only display the fire tv in black and white. I don’t want to use the built in tv apps so I really need to figure this out. 

I’m starting to suspect there might be something faulty in the Samsung tv box. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Thanks

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Hi @Stacey83 

That seems very strange! Could we take the full model code and current software version of your TV please? Go to Home > Settings > Support > About This TV.

0 Likes
Stacey83
Apprentice
Options

Hi Chris, 

Model Code: QE50LS03AAUXXU

Software Version: T-NKM2DEUC-2111.1, BT-S 

0 Likes
KholaI
Options

Cheers for that! I've found the user manual and it's got a few tricks and tips regarding this issue. Within the Troubleshooting guide (page 183 onwards), it mentions the following:

If the colour on your TV screen is not correct or the black and white colours are off, run Picture Test by heading into > Settings > Support > Device Care > Self Diagnosis > Picture Test. If the test results indicate that the problem is not caused by the TV, do the following:

When using the One Connect Box, confirm that its video input connectors are connected to the correct external device video output connectors. When using the component cable, confirm that the green (Y), blue (Pb) and red (Pr) jacks are plugged into their proper connectors. For more information about how to connect an external device, run Connection Guide by heading onto the Home screen > Source > Connection Guide.

The Troubleshooting guide also mentions the following on page 185: If you’re using a Component connection, make sure that the Component cables are connected to the correct jacks. Incorrect or loose connections may cause colour problems or a blank screen.

If you would like to view the manual, please click on the following link: https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/202109/20210910124253866/OSNDVBEUA-7.2.0_EM_OSCAR_EU_E...

0 Likes
Solution
Stacey83
Apprentice
Options

Hi Kholal, I've just found a fix! I've had to switch Game Mode on (Settings > General > External Device Manager > Game Mode Settings > Game Mode = On) but for some reason that has worked and now Apple TV and Firestick are both displaying in colour.

Thank you for the other suggestions though, I did try them first :smiling-face:

KholaI
Options

Woo! I'm glad to hear that! 💃