Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware 1221 problems

(Topic created on: 17-08-2018 10:54 PM)
Jon6005
Apprentice
Options

I wonder if anybody else has encountered compatibility problems after the latest automatic firmware update?

I have a QE55Q7FAM connected to a surround receiver from Maranz, model SR5008. It worked perfectly until few days ago when suddenly the receiver disspeared from the list of available devices for sound output.

I am now unable to use surround sound.

I contacted customer services and they reset different things but the problem remained unsolved.

I just ended up loosing my picture settings which were optimised for us - am not happy at all!

Any ways to go back to an earlier version of firmware, one that works with my set up?

Thanks!

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Jon6005 wrote:

I wonder if anybody else has encountered compatibility problems after the latest automatic firmware update?

I have a QE55Q7FAM connected to a surround receiver from Maranz, model SR5008. It worked perfectly until few days ago when suddenly the receiver disspeared from the list of available devices for sound output.

I contacted customer services and they reset different things but the problem remained unsolved.

I just ended up loosing my picture settings which were optimised for us - am not happy at all!

Any ways to go back to an earlier version of firmware, one that works with my set up?

Thanks!

@Jon6005 wrote:

Thanks!

@Jon6005 wrote:

Thanks!

Sounds just like Samsung.  Thing is they do not seem to care about their customers, it is more about making as much money as possible, selling inferior products.

Paul

0 Likes
Jon6005
Apprentice
Options

Thanks.

However, this is not helpful....

Wayne10
Pioneer
Options
Can you not connect via optical from tv, or by pass the tv and connect direct from source to amp?
0 Likes
Jon6005
Apprentice
Options

Hi, probably will be the only way.

When I got time, perhaps at the next weekend, I shall connect a optical cable as an output from the TV to the surround receiver.

Meaning, from now on, I will have to use 2 remotes and fiddle around just to get the functionality I had when I purchased  the TV in December 2017.

Until the firmware update, I just had to turn on the TV with the TV remote and all used to start and function perfectly.

Functionallity removed without my consent by Samsung automatically!!!

I have been informed by customer care that they are unable to roll back the update.

This is unbeleivable incompetence shown by a company of this size and reputation. I can not beleive this is the approach of Samsung. Did they beleive the update is perfect???

Is this the arrogance of a company which beleives is too strong to need to care about customers???

I have several Samsung products including over the years a series of several Samsung flatscreen TV's.

This event has really put me off ever considering a Samsung product again.

Now I am stuck with something that I don't want as it has been changed significantly to the worse without my permission (I did not consent to a removal of any feature) and is not what I purchased!

0 Likes
Leg2ion
Pathfinder
Options

Just noticed a new firmware is available from the website - posted today:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/QE55Q7FAMTXXU/

Is it worth giving that a go?

0 Likes
Jon6005
Apprentice
Options

thank you but nothing changed.

Will try unplugging all and restarting all in a sequence suggested by customer care when I have the time to do it.

If successsfull, will disable auto update and never run an update again!

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

It may be the case that updates can cause problems for some  consumers, however does not mean that generally it is not a valuable experience even if some issues can be frustrating.  up to each user but new firmware can fix bugs and improve functionality.  Not updating has its own risks.  Many are updating via USB, personally prefer to switch off Auto Update.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Jon6005
Apprentice
Options

May I confirm that you would have been happy, if same would have occured to yourself?

"It may be the case that updates can cause problems for some  consumers, however does not mean that generally it is not a valuable experience..." 

It is not a valuable experience for me and updates did nothing good for me.

The TV worked fine when I got it and did not feel the need for any improvement.

The update significantly limited functionality from the state the TV was when I bought it.

I did not buy the TV as it is now, it was in a significantly better, more functional state.

What, if after an update from the garage, yor car can use only 3 gears? Would you be happy????

What, if the garage says "improves fuel consumption by 5% for most" and "can not be undone". Is this acceptable for the few, where it does cause problems, like using only 3 gears?

In general, the update is a valuable experience for many, but for few, they have to put up with loss of functionality????

Is it a matter of "don't care about few if most are fine"?

To not be able to roll back a firmware update IS the issue, it is absolutely unacceptable.

It is important to reiterate that THIS IS the real issue!

This is a fundamentally flawed approach taken by Samsung!!!!

If unable to obtain functionality of the TV as purchased, will involve whoever can support me with my consumer rights.

0 Likes
Jon6005
Apprentice
Options

Just a quick update.

Downloaded and installed firmware 1260.6 from https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/QE55Q7FAMTXXU/

All working again fine after unplugging all devices, restarting them and re running the setup.

Turned auto update off and will stick with this version for as long as having the Marantz SR 5008 for surround sound.

0 Likes