Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fire TV Cube detected as Sky or unknown device

(Topic created on: 28-10-2022 04:40 PM)
Doddy30
Student
Options

Hi there,

I bought an Amazon Fire TV Cube (3rd gen) to replace my old firestick and upon setting it up my Samsung TV (UE50NU7400) keeps either detecting it as Sky or an Unknown device in the sources section. So instead of showing the fire tv icon like my old firestick did, it shows me a Sky icon or the standard USB icon for unknown devices. The universal remote controls the fire tv cube no problem, it's just my TV having problems recognising what the device is that is the issue here. I know it's only a minor visual bug but it is an irritating one.

I've searched the forum and tried many of the suggested fixes (rebooting devices, different HDMI cables, different HDMI ports, factory resetting the TV) and nothing has managed to resolve the problem. The 3rd gen cube was only released today so could it be something to do with how new it is? Wouldn't have thought so but did cross my mind.

Any help and suggestions will be appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
leicesterMan
Troubleshooter
Options
Maybe it could be a firmware issue, as you you've had a fire stick before you'll know how many times a week it has software/firmware updates
leicesterMan
Troubleshooter
Options
Have you tried the fire cube in another TV to see if you have the same issue
0 Likes
Doddy30
Student
Options

I have done just now on another Samsung TV. It recognises the device as an Amazon Fire TV Cube but doesn’t present the icon. Instead the standard OTT box icon. Bizarre!

0 Likes
leicesterMan
Troubleshooter
Options
On my Samsung TV it never shows the icons , looks like this20221028_171913_1000005075_1666973969.jpg51ZSG3TqyAS._AC_SX355__1000005076_1666974089.jpg
FedericoV
First Poster
Options

Same problem on QN85QN800B and the new Fire Cube. In the OTT list , there are Apple, Roku and many other names, but not the very common Amazon Fire. SAMSUNG PLEASE FIX THIS

Shafted
First Poster
Options
Same here, obviously it works but just a bit puzzling why there is no Amazon Fire TV Cube icon. TV stick did the same but found it as a new device when hdmi was reconnected.
0 Likes
Faffodils
Student
Options

Yep same for me too. OLED QE5590 CAT.

used to work fine detecting Amazon  but now picks firestick up as Sky and If you refuse that setup it defaults to generic HDMI port. Incredibly annoyingly seems to drop out to Samsung tv every half hour or so! AAAARRRGHHH! 

0 Likes