Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to start timeshift. No information for timeshift

(Topic created on: 05-10-2022 08:42 PM)
Sofastealer
Student
Options

I bought a new Samsung TV (Model No: QE50QN90) a couple of months ago and attached a 2TB HDD so that I could utilise Timeshift function and record TV programmes. Recently the Timeshift function has failed to start and will not record, although I can still play already recorded TV. If I press the pause button on the remote I get following message: 'Failed to start timeshift. No information for timeshift' When I Schedule recordings, they fail to be recorded.

I have restarted TV, have disconnected HDD and reconnected, checked TV software is up to date and factory reset the TV. All to no avail. The only thing I can think of is to reformat the HDD in the hope that this restores functionality, but this would lose all my current recordings and I really dont want to do that. I have connected the HDD to my home computer and it can read the files on it so I am assuming the disk is ok!

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated

7 REPLIES 7
Rachel Gomez
Journeyman
Options

Please try pressing the holding the Power button on your remote until the TV restarts to see if this helps. Alternatively, try powering off the TV, unplugging it at the wall for 30 seconds, then plugging it back in and powering on using the remote.

Greeting,

Rachel Gomez

0 Likes
Sofastealer
Student
Options

Sorry Rachel, this did not work. I had tried all these options but nothing worked. I believe there is a software issue with timeshift which led so some corruption on the disk (even though I could see all the files on my computer!). Only remaining option was to reformat the disk. This worked and timeshift now works but at the loss of all my recordings, which is obviously not ideal nor acceptable as a regular solution. I think Samsung should look to identify the cause of this issue and issue a fix as it is clearly is a result of using timeshift on the tv.

0 Likes
benrws
First Poster
Options
I have exactly the same issue and will probably also need to reformat. Not the first annoying and time consuming issue with my Samsung Frame - naively thought a premium product like this wouldn't suffer such issues!
0 Likes
Members_mJhuH3J
First Poster
Options

I have exactly the same issue!

I bought a new Samsung TV (Model No: QE65Q7BAT) a couple of months ago and attached a 2TB HDD so that I could utilise Timeshift function and record TV programmes. Recently the Timeshift function has failed to start and will not record, although I can still play already recorded TV. If I press the pause button on the remote I get following message: 'Failed to start timeshift. No information for timeshift' When I Schedule recordings, they fail to be recorded.

I have restarted TV, have disconnected HDD and reconnected, checked TV software is up to date and factory reset the TV. All to no avail. The only thing I can think of is to reformat the HDD in the hope that this restores functionality, but this would lose all my current recordings and I really dont want to do that. I have connected the HDD to my home computer and it can read the files on it so I am assuming the disk is ok!

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated

0 Likes
Country Lad
First Poster
Options

Hi, I don’t know if you have solved your problem as yet, but I had the same and I found I had to get a smaller USB 200 Gb anything larger wouldn’t work. I hope this helps.

0 Likes
david scott
First Poster
Options

Me too Just bought a QE55Q60SAUXXU, I am seriously disappointed, I had LG tv's for the last 5 years, thought I would try Samsung again. BIG MISTAKE. Like everyone else the timeshift is near useless, If I change from TV to PC input and back again, the time shift will have stopped, so cannot rewind. I also had a situation where no matter what I did regarding timeshift it just said "NOT AVAILABLE", I ended up doing a factory reset to get the timeshift to work again.   Also samsung has removed the possibility to re-order the terrestrial channels, can now only be done in favorites. And it is a pain in the backside to change from terrestrial to satellite input.  And I find my model does not give the option to pixel refresh, so eventually screen burn will make the TV useless. All in all it is absolutely NOT user friendly.   Please samsung put a rocket up the ass of your software people and give us an update to sort this rubbish out, or I am going straight back to LG.

0 Likes
Tuffers
First Poster
Options

I Had this problem

I saved all data from the Thumb drive I use in the TV.

Reformatted it on my laptop.

Put it back in the TV

The TV then ask to format the thumb drive 

Transferred the data back to the thumb drive on my laptop

When I put it back in the TV all my programs played and the time shift worked again.

0 Likes