Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

External Hard Drive compatibility

(Topic created on: 09-11-2020 11:12 AM)
AH56
First Poster
Options

I have a new Samsung Smart TV Model number QE50Q60TAUXXC. What specification of external hard drive do I need and what do I need to do to correctly format the disc. I want to store movies for playback over the TV and potentially record from the TV to the hard drive.

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
Solution
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
format shouldn't matter, but you'll only be able to record channels that are probably freeview not movie channels that are encrypted .basic channels, your manual will tell you what format your hard drive needs to be, NTFS for large files and FAT32 will give you less agita, as long as your file sizes are smaller than 4GB.
0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
what you can do with these tv's , is if you download films put them on a memory stick ntfs format and play them on your TV that includes mp3 files, flac, mp4, vod files, like the old divx players used to do
0 Likes
AH56
First Poster
Options

Many thanks. Up and running now.

0 Likes
NevisBen
First Poster
Options

Hi,

I'm looking into buying in Q60T model TV and I would like the feature to record.  As far as I can see from the user manual which I read online, all I need to do to be able to record is plug in a USB hard disk.  I was thinking of a 1TB WD portable style drive - something that is powered from the USB that I can fix to the back of the TV, permanently out of sight.

If you have yours up and running can you advise that it's all working okay and can you record a program while watching another (like a dual tuner recorder)? 

Thanks

0 Likes
AH56
First Poster
Options

I have not tried to record from the TV. What I have done is transferred movies & tv programmes that I have downloaded onto my Mac to a USB powered hard drive. These play perfectly on the TV. I will try to record something from the tv onto the hard drive later today and let you know the results.

0 Likes
NevisBen
First Poster
Options

Excellent, thanks for this.  It would be good to know if it records while the tv is in standby ( I would assume so, otherwise what's the point?) and if you are able to watch something else while a program is being recorded in the background.  

I'm thinking towards buying it as it looks like a really nice unit.

Ta.

0 Likes
AH56
First Poster
Options

Apologies but I am not able to confirm recording at this point. I have a hard drive attached that plays mp4 video files formatted as per a message in this thread. When I have gone to record it is coming up with a message to format the drive before it can record. I don’t want to lose what is already on the disc so don’t want to reformat at this stage. However, the fact that it detects the drive for recording is positive and it will clearly do the recording. Wether it can record in standby mode I can’t answer that. Sorry I can’t be more helpful. Maybe others can?

0 Likes