Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dolby Atmos on Disney Plus

(Topic created on: 08-07-2020 08:30 AM)
prawnmadras
Journeyman
Options

Hi, I don't get Atmos support (the icon doesn't even appear in the film preview screen, all you get is 5.1) on any of the content on internal Disney+ app running on my QE49Q70R.

I know they've reopened Atmos because the same movies on the Disney+ app running on my Nvidia shield 2019 has the Atmos logo.

Does anyone else have this problem with the Disney+ app on their Samsung?  I've deleted and reinstalled the app already. Currently running Tizen 1356

95 REPLIES 95
prawnmadras
Journeyman
Options
Roku works for me and so should Apple 4K according to the Disney+ support list.
Is yours at the latest version of tv OS...?
My tv is QE49Q70R
0 Likes
Lyness
Apprentice
Options
Yes, everything is at latest OS but only Netflix TV app works. The Apple TV doesn't give me the immersive sound option so maybe my tv can't do pass through? Idk I really wanted to watch Hamilton with Atmos
0 Likes
prawnmadras
Journeyman
Options

@Lyness wrote:
Yes, everything is at latest OS but only Netflix TV app works. The Apple TV doesn't give me the immersive sound option so maybe my tv can't do pass through? Idk I really wanted to watch Hamilton with Atmos

I don't have an apple 4k tv otherwise I could test out for you. Depending on how desparate you are, a roku, at £50 is the cheapest way to get Atmos on the list of devices that Disney+ support. And if it doesn't work for you, you could return it I suppose.

0 Likes
CMeyer2001
First Poster
Options

It is my understanding that AppleTV 4K does not passthrough Atmos unless the TV is eArc compatible.  Apple's support site states,  "Apple TV 4K uses a high bandwidth form of Dobly Atmos that doesn't work over ARC connections."  Patiently awaiting the eArc update for 2019 Q900 here.

0 Likes
Whaler8
First Poster
Options

I have the exact same setup.  2019 frame TV, Apple TV 4K, and Sonos Arc.  The issue with the Apple TV 4K is that it uses high bandwidth Audio or Dolby TrueHD only.  This requires an eARC connection from the TV to the soundbar.  Unfortunately the 2019 frame TV does not support eARC only ARC.  It seems that Samsung has promised for some time to upgrade the ARC connect to eARC thru a firmware update but it has yet to come to fruition.  

So far I've found the VUDU app and Netflix App on the Samsung TV both support Dolby Atmos.  

Additionally my research tells me that a Roku 4K should allow you to get the lower end version of Dolby Atmos (Dolby Digital+) as this can be transmitted over the ARC connection on the 2019 Samsung Frame.

@Lyness wrote:

Omg same. I just got the Sonos Arc and the only thing that works is Netflix. Disney plus and prime video aren't working in my Samsung tv. So I guess it doesn't support it. I have a Samsung frame 2019 and bought an Apple TV 4K and it's not working either. Even the Netflix app on Apple tv doesn't have atmos there. What a disappointment.

prawnmadras
Journeyman
Options

@Whaler8 wrote:

I have the exact same setup.  2019 frame TV, Apple TV 4K, and Sonos Arc.  The issue with the Apple TV 4K is that it uses high bandwidth Audio or Dolby TrueHD only.  This requires an eARC connection from the TV to the soundbar.  Unfortunately the 2019 frame TV does not support eARC only ARC.  It seems that Samsung has promised for some time to upgrade the ARC connect to eARC thru a firmware update but it has yet to come to fruition.  

So far I've found the VUDU app and Netflix App on the Samsung TV both support Dolby Atmos.  

Additionally my research tells me that a Roku 4K should allow you to get the lower end version of Dolby Atmos (Dolby Digital+) as this can be transmitted over the ARC connection on the 2019 Samsung Frame.

@Lyness wrote:

Omg same. I just got the Sonos Arc and the only thing that works is Netflix. Disney plus and prime video aren't working in my Samsung tv. So I guess it doesn't support it. I have a Samsung frame 2019 and bought an Apple TV 4K and it's not working either. Even the Netflix app on Apple tv doesn't have atmos there. What a disappointment.

Yup. That pretty much sums it up.

In addition, for those who don't want to shell out for a new TV with eArc could work around this problem by getting one of these https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

I've pre-ordered one of these.  It's not cheap but cheaper than getting a new TV.

0 Likes
Aquarius17
Student
Options

I am using a Q70R and bought a DOLBY ATMOS receiver just to find out, that Disney+ does not support ATMOS. 

Of course my disappointment is very big 😔 Being minimalist I don't want to use any extra device to get ATMOS.

Could a moderator please tell us if we can expect a software upgrade? 

Would it be helpful to also contact Disney+ about the issue? 

Thank you in advance for any moderator comment 👍🏼

prawnmadras
Journeyman
Options

I had no luck, you may well do but I wouldn't hold your breath.

0 Likes
JHru
Apprentice
Options

Using my Samsung TV apps I get Dolby Atmos through Amazon Prime but not Disney plus  -  COME ON SAMSUNG - PLEASE GIVE US  DOLBY ATMOS for the DISNEY + APP. 

AKasper1
First Poster
Options

I have just arrived at the same disappointment. Just setup the new Samsung Q70T, enabled Atmos (Settings > Sound > Expert Settings > Enable Dolby Atmos Compatibility), started Disney Plus app selecting a movie that I know has Atmos (which I confirmed on my LG CX TV), but all i get is 5.1. Why!?!

I have the TV connected via eARC to atmos capable receiver.

I believe it is DisneyPlus that is not recognizing this, is that correct??

Whats the point of a "smart" tv if we have to keep buying various media players just to match the right combination!?!?

Any suggestions?