Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dolby Atmos Compatibility

(Topic created on: 21-06-2020 11:52 AM)
Atmos
Student
Options

Hi guys

I have a Q9FN TV and planning on getting the Q90R soundbar. I have some questions regarding it. Would appreciate some input

1) according to a Samsung Customer Care dude, Samsung TVs are not Dolby Atmos compatible. Meaning, if connected to a soundbar (eg. Q90R soundbar), the TV apps won't transmit Atmos to the soundbar. True?

If not true, then my next question is:

2) Dolby Atmos and DTS-X require eARC and HDMI 2.1 to function. (This is according online techies) True? If so, how do the current TVs (Q900r excluded) transmit these formats?

3) if the above questions are true, what's the best way to get the best out of my TV and Soundbar?

Thanks guys

Ps. My name is not Atmos, I mistakenly typed in the topic in my username slot and can't undo it.

32 REPLIES 32
Persojet
Journeyman
Options

Is this still the case or have Samsung updated Q9FN to support atmos passthrough? I mean other manufacturers have done it with below HDMI 2.0, so why couldn't Samsung. 

RobinDaems
Apprentice
Options

Hi Bond, did you find a solution to your problem? I have the same tv (49" though), just ordered the hw-q90 soundbar so I'll have the same issue as you. 

Kratos82
Apprentice
Options

The funny things is tht Samsung is now producing soundbar supporting Dolby Atmos while the TV's are not.

How can be a customer satisfied about Samsung?

It's absolutely a bad joke!!!

Very disappointing

Kratos82
Apprentice
Options

It is pointless to spend a lot of money and then not to be able to enjoy the sound. 

So far Q70, Q80 2019 does not support Atmos and DTS. 

No eARC HDMI which make impossible to benefit of the codec above.

Persojet
Journeyman
Options

@Kratos82 wrote:

The funny things is tht Samsung is now producing soundbar supporting Dolby Atmos while the TV's are not.

How can be a customer satisfied about Samsung?

It's absolutely a bad joke!!!

Very disappointing

Exactly my thoughts. I can't understand how the same series TV doesn't even handle it. 

atmos13167985
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

About the 65" Q90r tv.

Can I get Dolby atmos while wathing Netflix, using only the TV speakers?

(With the latest firmware update).

Thank!

0 Likes
Persojet
Journeyman
Options

@atmos13167985 wrote:

Hi,

About the 65" Q90r tv.

Can I get Dolby atmos while wathing Netflix, using only the TV speakers?

(With the latest firmware update).

Thank!

That's a no, with any update. Software can't upgrade hardware. 

0 Likes
atmos13167985
Apprentice
Options

So if the Qled Q90r can't play Dolby Atmos via internal app and TV speakers,

What are my option to get Dolby Atmos while using Netlix that opened by the TV apps?

Persojet
Journeyman
Options

@atmos13167985 wrote:

So if the Qled Q90r can't play Dolby Atmos via internal app and TV speakers,

What are my option to get Dolby Atmos while using Netlix that opened by the TV apps?

Get a TV from other manufacturer and Dolby atmos soundbar. Samsung doesn't support atmos with HDMI arc. 

atmos13167985
Apprentice
Options

Please have a look at this TV review, at "Audio Passthrough":

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q90-q90r-qled

"Sadly, this TV doesn't support DTS or eARC. It likely does support lossy Atmos passthrough from Dolby Digital Plus sources, including the native Netflix app."

So, the TV does support Atmos????

0 Likes