Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the 2018 model Q9FN (55" & higher) support HDMI 2.1?

(Topic created on: 01-12-2020 02:29 PM)
ATZ80
Journeyman
Options

Hello Samsung & Community,

I would like to clarify the following questions with this thread once and for all:

Does the 2018 model Q9FN (55" & higher) support HDMI 2.1?

And is the answer "No":
Will there be an update for the flagship from 2018 (new "One Connect Box") ?

I've already read a lot of different answers here in the forum, once a Samsung admin says that the Q9FN already supports HDMI 2.1, then it says again that Samsung currently can't give any updates for the future.

I think I am not alone with this question here and we have spent a lot of money on this TV. And regarding the new generation of consoles, it would be nice if Samsung could tell us slowly if an update is planned, if the device from 2018 supports HDMI 2.1 or if we are forced to buy new devices.

Please finally give us a clear answer.

Thank you & best regards,

ATZ

16 REPLIES 16
Nobell
Student
Options

I Agree, bought the TV on the premise that I would be able to change the one connect box and upgrade it later on but no upgrade yet.. So now I have a atmos system that I can not use with the built in apps in the TV. Won't buy a new Samsung next time if they do not offer to sell an updated one connect box. 

ZeroOverride
Student
Options

I'm on the same boat. I will certainly not buy a new TV until 2023-2024. And it certainly won't be a Samsung TV if they don't keep their word on this. If almost feels like fraud.

Adambamp
First Poster
Options

3000k I spent on the 2018 Q9 it must be able to support HDMI 2.1 

I will definitely not buy another Samsung if they don’t upgrade the box. 

Krashing
Navigator
Options

Has anybody anywhere tried to change the one connect box with a new one from a newer model? Like a 2019 model 950r

Humorsopa
Pathfinder
Options

Yes, tried it just for convincing people. Also tested all other existing ocb:s existing for Samsung tvs. And no, once and for all, it does not work. All ocb:s are explicitly hardware adapted for every model they are made for. They do NOT work with any other Samsung model.

Sorry to say, but the Q9FN will never get HDMI 2.1. That's just how it is, unfortunately. 

Krashing
Navigator
Options

I just think Samsung is mocking up with their costumers, in a lot of interviews about the release of the q9f models they explicitly said that they would upgrade the one connect box with new tecnologies once they where available.

we ended up with a a 2 year old tv that does support 4K 120hz (reason why I bought the tv) and no way to send the signal to the tv due to poor decision. Not to talk about Dolby vision and Atmos support or pass through. Dolby digital plus is the only thing that could have been a good choice, unfortunately there is no streaming service or content that is available anywhere (at least in Italy)

im really regretting not getting an oled or sony full array.

JH013915
Student
Options

They wont be supporting this, no 2018 Samsung TV's support HDMI 2.1. 

Not even the Q900R 8K supports 4K@120.

Sorry to disappoint 

Humorsopa
Pathfinder
Options

Well, yes, the 2019 Q900RB/Q950R does support HDMI 2.1. It has been proven so many times now. I just wish people stopped spreading false information before having done extensive research. I am in the business so I should know. Even 2018 Q900RA with switched OCB will handle 2.1 even if there are some problems at the moment. The fuzz is mostly caused by the fact that people don't understand that HDMI 2.1 actually allows down to 40GBit/s and doesn't have to be 48... Most 2.1 tvs with HDMI 2.1 "only" handles 40GBit/s which causes misunderstandings... I really haven't got the time at the moment but here is a list, sorry for the lame copy but you will get the message. 

FB_IMG_1607689262343.jpg

KrunalPatel9988
First Poster
Options

@samsung will you be able to answer the question here!? Will we get the HDMI 2.1 upgrade after spending more the £3k