Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Samsung ever intend to update the firmware for eARC?

(Topic created on: 25-02-2021 11:06 PM)
Micheal_Knight
Navigator
Options

Good morning all, I hope that someone from Samsung reads this but I have been chasing a problem with eARC for roughly 12 weeks now with no resolution or case updates in sight.

I speak with Samsung support every two or three days but absolutely nothing.

I don't know why I spent so much money on the Q950ts when its basically not doing what it says.

Someone...anyone...help!

Thanks.

MK

215 REPLIES 215
Micheal_Knight
Navigator
Options

It can only be the one connect box surely so the very minimum they should do is change this out to rule out anything else. 

Weirdly I still think it’s a specific software issue on the TV as I feed a PS5 through eARC without a single issue! 

0 Likes
Galaxy_Echo
Explorer
Options

EXfSdfOX0AE4zgH.jpeg

Thank @firehouse12 for sharing experience, but eARC passthrough capability of the Samsung's 2020 TV is limited in 2 channels for LPCM according to EDID.

It means that no matter how you adjust TV and soundbar, you won't get 5.1 / 7.1 LPCM passthrough via eARC if Samsung still doesn't fix it.

Dolby format is fully supported by Samsung TV's eARC (only by external devices), so that's not what we complaint about.

Micheal_Knight
Navigator
Options

@Galaxy_Echo @How did you get that diagnostic please? 

thanks

0 Likes
Davidgregg
First Poster
Options

Excuse my ignorance here.. but is the same problem whereby the arc connection isn’t passing through 5.1 sound for any audio coming in from a different HDMI port?  So in my case I can’t get D5.1 through ARC for Audio from a SkyQ box connected on HDMI3..

0 Likes
Galaxy_Echo
Explorer
Options

It was tested by Vincent Teoh of HDTVTEST , but now I can't find the original post.

The only picture of EDID information I can find is the result from HDMI 4 (HDMI 2.1) not HDMI 3 (eARC), so Dolby ATMOS is described as not support.

Galaxy_Echo
Explorer
Options

I doubt if the sound effect of your soundbar (Samsung HW-Q70T) is not set to Standard. Using any sound effect except Standard will force soundbar to simulate 2ch to 5.1 or 7.1ch, this process may let you think you get full multichannel LPCM via eARC.

My set is Q95T (TV) and HW-Q90R (soundbar). I choose 7.1 LPCM in PS5, soundbar will play 7.1ch via eARC, but this is post processed by soundbar from original 2ch. If you choose Standard on soundbar, it shows the original unprocessed channel is only 2.

The only method to get correct 5.1/7.1 LPCM is to hook PS5 to soundbar instead of using eARC. But this way sacrifices HDMI 2.1 advantage since HW-Q90R only has HDMI 2.0. Why do I have to spend money on buying a HDMI 2.1 soundbar for TV's faultiness since Samsung advertise their TV support eARC ?

0 Likes
Galaxy_Echo
Explorer
Options

I can confirm the HDMI 3 (eARC) can passthrough 5 1ch in DD/DD+/ATMOS via DD+ from external devices such as Google TV with Chromecast.

I can't test ATMOS via TrueHD, but it's capable according to Rtings.

Samsung's issue is about DTS and LPCM, all Dolby formats seem to work correctly.

Micheal_Knight
Navigator
Options

Thanks for this information @Galaxy_Echo 

I think we should at least keep this thread going to make some noise about firmware updates.

0 Likes
Galaxy_Echo
Explorer
Options

The brightness auto-dim issue thread has 1900 posts and reports, but Samsung still keep silence and doesn't fix it. I doubt if Samsung will fix eARC issue even if we keep this thread going on.

PawelMerlin
Pioneer
Options

When they release new TVs they gonna have tons of new bugs to fix so no much hope for this one.