Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCI-P3 / Auto Color Space. Is it supposed to look like this?

(Topic created on: 12-10-2020 07:48 PM)
FrankieSomeone
Pioneer
Options

The DCI-P3 Color Space looks really nice and vibrant, except that it makes pure white darker than other colors. Is this a quirk of this color space or a bug? Either way, coud it theoretically be fixed?
It looks very good in movies until a bright light source, like a flashlight or an explosion, shows up looking grey ...
I'm using a Q90R if that matters.
IMG_20200411_003248.jpg

0 Likes
22 REPLIES 22
FrankieSomeone
Pioneer
Options

I've watched a lot of movies in the meantime and I definitely prefer DCI-P3 over Native, plus if I understand correctly, it's the "correct" option, which presents the colors most accurately (at least for movies)
I'd still like to see this weird issue corrected but most of the time it's not noticeable/doesn't happen when watching things.

0 Likes
jayh89
Helping Hand
Options

Is dci-p3 the same as auto? My tv only has native and auto (and custom). 

0 Likes
FrankieSomeone
Pioneer
Options

Yep they're both DCI-P3.
I use it on Custom with red bumped up a little bit because I find it a bit orangeish on Auto

FrankieSomeone
Pioneer
Options

Update: with the latest firmware, the colors look a bit better. Not 100% perfect but better. I might make a comparison video later.

FrankieSomeone
Pioneer
Options

Never mind, it's still there and pretty noticeable. 
Pics from The Christmas Chronicles played via the Netflix appIMG_20201218_014357.jpg
Even with the curve blasted at +3, pure white is still darker than colored areas.
I really don't understand why this is.

0 Likes
kwangomango
Explorer
Options

PXL_20210910_095629734.jpg

It's really bad in this scene from Bumblebee.

Have Samsung ever acknowledged this issue? I don't suppose there is any hope of a fix at this stage...

0 Likes
FrankieSomeone
Pioneer
Options

I've been considering keeping Contrast at 25 for HDR. It avoids over-saturating colors and therefore also avoids the white crush situation, mostly.

0 Likes
FrankieSomeone
Pioneer
Options

I think the DCI-P3 is increasing the brightness based on color. Meaning that any pixels that have a >0 saturation get brighter, any anything with 0 saturation stays the same brightness.
I think that's just a wrong approach, since it results in scenes like the explosion posted above.

0 Likes
kwangomango
Explorer
Options

@AsadM Is there any chance this problem could get fixed?

kwangomango
Explorer
Options

@FrankieSomeone It looks like this issue doesn't effect all sets, which is very peculiar. We were discussing it over at AVForums and a number of people don't see the grey whites in any of my samples, nor your Bladerunner sample.

It would appear some sets are faulty...

0 Likes