Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Dark scenes so dark they're unwatchable in HDR mode on UE43TU7000KXXU

(Topic created on: 06-08-2020 10:51 AM)
scchipli
Explorer
Options

It is worst on the in-built Disney+ app (the Star Wars movies + The Mandalorian scenes are so dark you almost cannot see anything, as well as Marvel's Black Panther!). It is also noticable on Amazon Prime for shows such as Hunters in 4K mode. When you select the non-4K version of Hunters the picture is lovely and bright!. Also occurs on the Apple TV app, again very dark for 4K HDR films but lovely and bright for the ones only available in HD. Luckily my Netflix subscription is only HD so that picture is not affected and is great. All these issues are with the in-built apps as I bought this TV so I wouldn't require an external streaming box.

In the absence of it actually working correctly, is there a simple menu option to disable HDR?

47 REPLIES 47
Solution
scchipli
Explorer
Options

A704159F-52EF-44E1-B83D-5C007C9858D4.jpeg

Upgraded to firmware 1302 and it’s certainly improved the 4K HDR picture from Disney+ (see above). Had to update via USB as it wasn’t available directly from the TV.

0 Likes
Variantfrog
Apprentice
Options

Is there any information from Samsung about the update 1302.5?

0 Likes
scchipli
Explorer
Options

Couldn’t find any obvious Release Notes with it. The menu system seems a bit faster also.

0 Likes
ijuk999
First Poster
Options

@scchipli - I'm afraid this is an ongoing issue with Samsung TVs (although other brands are also affected). have a look at this thread from the US https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/4k-8k-and-Other-TVs/TURN-HDR-OFF/td-p/1232488

I've read that there might be a firmware update coming in europe to address this, although Samsung are staying pretty quiet on the topic. 

To date there is no option to manually turn HDR off. Just hope that Samsung start to actually use feedback from these forums. Far better source of troubleshooting info than their R&D team

scchipli
Explorer
Options

ijuk999 Firmware update available in the UK and fixed the issue for me. 4K HDR content is now fine from the inbuilt TV apps for Disney+, Prime and Apple TV.

0 Likes
Dunk27
First Poster
Options

I have a Samsung ue65ru8000uxxu with the 1361 software that was released in July 2020 and was experiencing the same HDR issues - very dark with very muted colours but only noticeable when watching Ozark on Netflix and Greyhound on the AppleTV app. 

Anyway, after playing with the settings (after watching parts on my Roku 4k stick in non-HDR mode on the same TV which showed how good it could look) I changed the picture to Dynamic from Natural, the Contrast enhancement to high, set the backlight to the max 50, and increased the brightness. That has made a massive difference and make those 2 watchable - changing to Dynamic made the biggest impact. Most HDR on Netflix was fine before, so must be some different type of HDR in Ozark that made it so dark.

I wish Samsung will add the option to turn off HDR support as I much prefer the picture from the Roku in non-HDR 4K, but one of the reasons to get the TV was so that everything was in one place and I could have 1 remote control for everything!

Evertonskidog
First Poster
Options

My tv shows 1302 but is still VERY dark on hdr. 
Is 1302.5 different to 1302 that’s on the tv? Not sure if the tv just doesn’t show the decimal point

0 Likes
Hydrad
First Poster
Options

It is not Samsung.  I have noticed this for a LOT of 4K reissues of existing films. I have purchased quite a few 4k disks for movies that I really like and already own Blu ray versions.  About 90% of the time, the movie looks much better in 1080p than in 4k.  The scenes are way too dark and you loose a lot of detail.  There are also color problems that are most apparent when you compare flesh tones in the 4K vs the Blu Ray.  I see this on three different TV's from different manufacturers and on my computer monitor using Leawo to play the disk.  You can get it to look close to the Blu Ray version by adjusting the brightness, contrast, and gamma, but each movie will require different settings, so you are going to have to go through this procedure for each and every movie you watch.  Newer movies, ie within the last three years, do not seem to have this problem.  And some older movies that were transferred to 4K correctly, don't seem to have this problem either.  Its a problem in the transfer to 4K, not a TV problem.  I've stopped buying 4K versions of older movies.  Its just a waste of money. .  Buy the Blu ray 1080p versions, you will have a much better movie experience.

Dbertie58
Explorer
Options

Please can you post the link to the 1302 firmware.

0 Likes
MissGiGi777
Student
Options

All I did was change the 'Contrast Enhancer' setting to High & this fixed the darkness issue for me.