Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dark line across bottom edge - NU8000 TV

(Topic created on: 27-02-2019 03:10 PM)
AJames
Journeyman
Options

I wanted to see if anyone else has observed a slightly darkened edge along the bottom of the screen.

I have the 55" NU8000 (not sure if it's unique to this model, or exists in other). Additionally, the bottom corners are slightly darker too. The line is about 1/4" or so... Pretty slim, but when watching TV I notice a distinctly faded edge along the bottom, though the line isn't distinct when watching from couch-distance. (some photos are below, although the line didn't come through very well in the photos)

Samsung was kind enough to replace the panel (which I'm very thankful for). Unfortunately, it turned out that even the replacement panel had the same problem! The service technician said since they both have the same problem, then there's nothing he can do about it, as it must be a manufacturing problem that is persistant in the panels throughout the product line... So, I'm wondering if other people see this line present, and if it's worth requesting another replacement for a potential solution.

The defect seems somewhat minor, but when I spend this much on a TV I hope to keep around for 5-10 years, I had hoped for a better picture. I've seen cheaper TVs (both Samsung TVs and other brands) that have a better edge-to-edge uniformity. Besides this line across the bottom and the barely faded corners, this is an excellent TV - I love the picture otherwise, the aesthetic design, and the UI/operating system... Just wish this issue could be resolved.

bottom-right detailbottom-right detailbottom-left detailbottom-left detail

full screenfull screen

31 REPLIES 31
StephenS
Journeyman
Options

So, an update to my posts. Hope it helps you feel better about sticing with this TV - I actually returned to Best Buy and cancelled my swap for the LG after getting hope and spending the whole night doing research and comparison. I decided to stick with the NU8000 because it was the best choice overall from a sea of mediocre options. I figured that this will last me until I'm ready to buy one of the higher-end LG OLEDs.

As I'm writing this, though, I'm feeling doubt and irritation. My PC is close to my TV. After turning it off, that intermittent ticking sound starts to occur. I can only assume it's heating and cooling - expansion and contraction but it is enough to drive me crazy. It has replaced the stress over the dark line issue we noticed. By the way, with the dark line, if you crouch and look up at the line, it tends to fade, making me think we may be seeing the gap inside the panel, almost like the lower bezel, so to speak, is visible. Just a theory. I'm now more concerned about the tick, which happens even after unplugging the TV which makes me think it has to be heating/cooling noises. Ugh, no idea. I just know I've decided to deal with it and hope that I remain satisfied with this TV until I'm ready to drop the cash on the TV that supposedly can't be outdone and whose ratings are through the roof.

Let me ask, did you drop the extra cash on Geek Squad? That's my next decision to make, given these concerns. Deal with it and hope for the best or spend another 200 bucks.

0 Likes
AJames
Journeyman
Options

Yea, I agree - it's a great TV overall... If only for this flaw, I'd be in love with it.

Actually, I didn't get it from Best Buy, although I considered it. When I was thinking about Best Buy, I had determined that the Geek Squad ultimately wasn't worth it. Actually, the additional cost of their protection plan is mainly what I decided against. I actually ended up buying it through Costco, which had an amazing deal on a 4 yr protection plan. I'm still not sure if the plan is worth it, but it was a whole lot cheaper than Best Buy and offers some peace of mind. Sure, Best Buy has a lot more services they take care of, but for anything I'd really want to take it in for get covered by other plans anyway.

It's a bummer to hear about your clicking issue! Mine does not do that, and I hope you find a resolution. If it's particularly bothersome, I'd contact Samsung about it (or Best Buy if you got Geek Squad protection).

0 Likes
fight4theuser
First Poster
Options

Hey man, I am really glad you posted this "issue" with the line and darker corners. I just moved and I was closely inspecting my NU800D (Costco model of same panel) and noticed the same thing. I thought it had gotten damaged in transit. Looks like thats just how it is... I'll try and put it out of my mind knowing its from the lighting technique but wish they had added the tinest border or something to cover it up. Otherwise the TVs great but it will take a bit to "forget"about it. 

0 Likes
StephenS
Journeyman
Options

Ha, yeah. I ended up returning mine entirely. Not only because of that issue but also because of a ticking/snapping noise coming from the rear as the TV would warm up after turning on and cool off after turning off. That was the real issue. It ruined it completely for me. Hope that doesn't cause you problems but you can look up that widespread issue too. Just wasn't worth the risk for me anymore. If I get a TV again soon, it will be high-end and highly rated. So many issues pop up with mid-range. Hope this helps and good luck to you.

0 Likes
fight4theuser
First Poster
Options
Thank you for the reply. I too have noticed the crackling on occasion - real inconsistent when it happens. Happy and sad its not just me. Reading this I may talk with Costco and see what they are willing to do about it considering. Thanks again - happy hunting for your next model!
0 Likes
Napoliguy
First Poster
Options

Hi guys, 

You described exactly what happens with my new 55" Q7FN (qled): dark bottom line with shaded/darker bottom corners.

Any news on this?

Have Samsung ever talked to you guys about it? 

Thanks in advance.

Att,

Diego Napolitano.

0 Likes
AJames
Journeyman
Options

Samsung sent a tech out and replaced the panel of my NU8000 again. The line and slightly shaded corners are still visible on the new panel in very bright images... BUT, it is a bit better than the last panel, so I accepted the solution. I barely notice it most of the time, but I do wish it was completely resolved. They said it must just be the way the whole line of panels was manufactured.

I'm surprised to hear the same problem with the qled series, as I would have expected that to be a completely different type of panel... But this makes me wonder if it's from the see manufacturing line.

0 Likes
Napoliguy
First Poster
Options

Hi AJames,

I think the problem is worst when seeing it from above.

Is your TV hanging on the wall?

Take a look at this picture from rtings.com: https://i.rtings.com/images/reviews/tv/samsung/q7fn/q7fn-design-large.jpg

If you zoom in, you can see very clearly what happens with my same qled.

But there are no observations in that rating site about it.

I assume thats exactly the same "problem" you have, right?

Maybe when i put this on the wall, it will be less noticeable... I hope so.

Att,

Diego Napolitano.

0 Likes
AJames
Journeyman
Options

Yep, what I see in that picture is the same as my TV. I do have it hung on the wall. I don't really notice the problem when sitting on my couch (my eye level is probably near the bottom of the screen). Also, the distance (probably around 8-10 feet away, is enough to not notice. I mostly notice it when I stand up, and take a few steps forward. 

It still bothers me, but I like enough other aspects of the TV over the equivalent LG and Sony models that I chose to keep it regardless.

0 Likes
Napoliguy
First Poster
Options

Have you tried LG OLED B8?

Im thinking on returning the q7fn and getting that LG B8.

0 Likes