Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Control Sony Soundbar Volume Connected via Optical Cable With TV Remote?

(Topic created on: 24-01-2022 02:58 PM)
triumphboy1
Journeyman
Options

Hi all

Is it possible to control the volume of a Sony soundbar with the Samsung TV remote when connected to the TV via optical cable?

I can control the Sony soundbar volume with the Samsung remote when connected by Bluetooth by default, but not by Optical cable. Is there a setting that needs enabling maybe?

I read in the manual this is possible when using a Samsung soundbar, but unsure whether possible with a Sony soundbar?

Thanks in advance for any assistance 🙂

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi,
This page maybe helpful

What to do if connecting with a digital optical cable

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00049279/
0 Likes
triumphboy1
Journeyman
Options

Thanks. Unfortunately it doesn't say whether third party soundbars like my Sony are compatible.

0 Likes
xSteveuk
Mastermind
Options
Hi
I did find this info
That maybe helpful to you

What soundbar is compatible with Samsung Smart TV?

• Samsung HW-Q950T – Best Samsung Soundbar.

• Samsung HW-Q70T.

• Samsung 2.1 HW-R450 Channel Soundbar.

• Samsung Channel Soundbar HW-J450 2.1.

• Smart TV Sonos Beam – Soundbar with Built-in Amazon Alexa.

Televisions will have a labeled HDMI port if it is compatible, and of course, you can always look at the specification information of the device. You also will want to make sure your soundbar also has this capability, as well as the HDMI cable you are using between the two
0 Likes
Solution
triumphboy1
Journeyman
Options

The solution to this is you need to connect via HDMI cable, not optical. Then the soundbar volume can then be controlled by the TV remote with compatible soundbars, which includes my Sony device. All working now 🙂

0 Likes
ocsurfer411
First Poster
Options

Not really a solution if your soundbar doesn't have HDMI. I updated my Samsung Q TV from a 2017 model which controlled my sound bar volume through optical just fine, to the 2022 Samsung Q TV version, and now I can't control volume on the soundbar with optical.

0 Likes