Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection problems with Sky Q box

(Topic created on: 10-01-2023 11:12 AM)
Jack1954
Apprentice
Options

I bought a QE75Q80B 4 weeks ago and experienced the same problem. When the tv's turned off and you switch on again later, the only way to re-establish the Sky broadcast is to switch the Sky box off and on and go through the reboot process on the Sky box. I've tried every fathomable solution but none of them have solved the issue. These include a visit from a Sky engineer, changing the Sky box, remote access by the Samsung tech team who said they tweaked various things, factory resets on tv and Sky box, new HDMI cables and power leads, changing the HDMI port etc etc etc .....!!! My previous Samsung, also a 75", worked perfectly with Sky although the screen went after 18 months - and I only had a 1 year guarantee. No one at Samsung has been able to give me any assurances about this issue. So I'm awaiting delivery from Amazon of a very large box in order to return the tv and I've already decided I've no alternative than to buy an LG or a Sony. Heading down to Richer Sounds today to check these out. Seems to be very widespread with newer Samsung TV's.

10 REPLIES 10
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @Jack1954  Sorry to hear of the problems with Sky on this Samsung model and that engineer apparently unable to sort out.  is this SkyQ or the older Sky HD?

Anyway for those having issues ,there appear to  be connectivity issues between Skyq and some Tv's (including Samsung).

In some cases  people do need to reboot Q Box  periodically and also possibly Tv  or change HDMI cable.   Obviously  some have more problems than others and appreciate the frustrations.    From my understanding there have been more problems with the older Boxes and those with External power supply work better.   However this will not be universal.    Some customers have found that issues happen  less often if they change the ECO setting to None but would still need to put the Box into standby manually. Changing HDMI control option has had an effect for some customers too.

However there was information earlier that there is an compatibility problem with the One Connect Box   and whilst they do work ok together the tuning of the distribution of the One Connect Box (q part of it) needs resetting at times.  Sky software engineers  were said to be working on it earlier.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Jack1954
Apprentice
Options

Hi James. Thanks a lot for the comments and advice. It’s certainly a frustrating problem which hopefully Sky and The tv companies can sort out. To date I haven’t heard of any issues with LG tv’s so I plan to switch brands and hope for the best. Thanks again - Jack.

Jack1954
Apprentice
Options

Should’ve said - it’s SkyQ.

MacSpurs
Student
Options

I had the same problem, turning off input signal plus on the Sky Q hdmi port seems to have fixed it.

0 Likes
Mike W1
First Poster
Options

Yep same problem here. A grand on a new TV and every time I turn on the tv I have to turn off input signal plus turn it on again and check the Sky Q box is still outputting UHD 10 bit. There’s a genuine handshake issue that needs sorting.

0 Likes
humps
First Poster
Options

while this problem appears to affect mostly new-ish Samsung TV with SkyQ, it is ultimately issue with SkyQ. No matter how weird Samsung TV sends a command to SkyQ, it shouldn't freeze/crash. There is an active thread on sky forum https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Turn-on-Samsung-TV-and-HDMI-CEC-Anynet-crashes-SkyQ/td-p/4199621

0 Likes
FlyUK
Student
Options

Same issue, Samsung QN90A. I can select 10bit on the sky box, with input signal plus turned off, all works ok (not HDR though). 
As soon as I turn on input signal plus, with 10bit on the sky box, the tv will sometimes turn on, sometimes not. Totally random. Issue resolved by turning signal plus off and the picture appears. Can't work out if it's a Sky software isssue or Samsung firmware issue.

0 Likes
Pavlos1
First Poster
Options

I had exactly this issue. I looked at lots of online forums, too.

I finally solved it. When you use the Sky Q remote to turn off the TV, always do a second press to make sure the Sky Q box is ‘off’ - showing the orange light. Turning on is the same - switch on TV, then press the On a second time so the light goes green, and the Q box opens on the TV. Be patient for a few seconds as, initially, the Samsung will only show Sky in a ‘window’, but will jump to full picture in around 5-10 seconds.

Follow  that each time and no problem. 

D3P
Student
Options

Recently bought a S90C and have this same problem. Every morning when I turn on Sky Q box (and TV) I get the "check device power" message. This issue appears to be caused when the TV has Input Signal Plus enabled on the HDMI port where the Sky Q box is connected. Only way to resolve is to turn off input signal plus every evening and turn it back on in the morning. 

The other issue is the picture is very dark on UHD channels using HLG HDR (10-bit). 

Seems like a Samsung TV issue to me. My previous LG OLED connected to the same Sky Q box had none of these issues (HDMI-CEC and Sky Q HLG HDR worked perfectly).

Is Samsung aware of this, there are numerous threads on other forums with the same issues?