Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compatibility between Samsung TV and SKY Q Box

(Topic created on: 21-08-2020 12:15 PM)
bez1
Journeyman
Options

I have a 2020 Samsung QE49Q80T TV and Samsung Q800T Soundbar. 

I believe there is a software issue between the Sky Q box and the Samsung TV. The sound drops out regularly on programmes watched through the Sky Box.

The Sky Q box has been replaced 3 times and the TV once but drop outs are still there.

Watched a Netflix programme on Sky Q and the sound dropped out 12 times. Then watched Netflix on terrestrial and there were no sound drop outs.

Sky + HD Box had no problems.

There is clearly a software glitch on Sky Q that conflicts with Samsung TV’s.

There are 31 pages on the Sky Community website on sound dropping out on Sky Q s and several of these mention compatibility with Samsung TV’s.

The Sky engineer cannot correct a software issue which he believes is the problem and needs a discussion between both technical departments.

Anyone else with the same problem?

Also the sound bar sits under the TV and projects sound upwards. I an getting a slight ghosting on the TV which I believe comes from the magnets on the sound bar. Again, anyone with the same issue?

Regards

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12
maurice28
Journeyman
Options

I have the same thing with Sky Q and my 2015 Samsung UE40J5100. It worked fine with Sky+ for five years, but ever since Q was installed a couple of months ago there are intermittent sound drops with recorded content as well as that through Netflix and Disney+ apps. There's no issue with any other inputs so it can't just be the TV.

My next step is probably going to be to see if the box can be swapped (I've tried all fixes I've seen online) but if that doesn't work, I might just need to accept it's a fundamental issue between Sky Q and some Samsung TVs.

bez1
Journeyman
Options

Maurice, Thanks for your comment. Sky are coming back next week but I don't think they can solve you problem, so it will then be a case of keeping with the problem until they may be able to fix the software or change to BT.

Regards

maurice28
Journeyman
Options

Just to update you Bez, I now have a new, replacement Sky Q box (v3) and the sound drop outs remain. It seems like a fundamental issue between Sky Q in general and my set up.

bez1
Journeyman
Options

Sky called me on Saturday to say it was a compatibility issue between Sky Q and the latest Samsung TV's.  They said it was up to Samsung to sort and gave me a number 03330000333 to call them on as they had referred several Sky Q Users to Samsung with the same problem. Will be calling Samsung today. Not sure why Sky does not try to sort this between themselves and Samsung. Regards

maurice28
Journeyman
Options

I know on the Sky forums one post from a Sky representative seemed to say that Samsung had issued a firmware update for some TVs which may fix the issue. I think for your TV the latest update (v1304) was released on 10th August. Is that the version on your TV? If not, it might be worth updating to see if it helps?

0 Likes
bez1
Journeyman
Options

Thanks, I have v1304 already on the TV. Regards

0 Likes
bez1
Journeyman
Options

Have spent an hour on to the Samsung technical support centre which is overseas somewhere. They do not understand what a Sky Q box is and are trying to call me back later today with a person who may assist.Regards

maurice28
Journeyman
Options

Hope you get it sorted! My new box is definitely the same as the old one, time to learn to live with it I guess!  

0 Likes
bez1
Journeyman
Options

No promised call back from Samsung so I rate their Customer Service 0 out of 10.

0 Likes