Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Codec AV1 Youtube 8K

(Topic created on: 23-06-2020 10:17 AM)
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

Hi all! Is there any chance to get the codec AV1 to play youtube 8K videos on the Q900R,Q950R,Q900RB? Like new Samsung models Q950T  presented at CES 2020 will be able to play 8K videos on YT, what about us owners of 2018 model? Thanks

156 REPLIES 156
Ataulf
Journeyman
Options

Maybe we should remind the CEO what Samsung promised during their Unpacked 2020 event earlier this year?

For footage recorded in 8K on one of their Galaxy S20 phones uploaded to YouTube would be viewable in 8K on Samsung 8K QLED tvs (from 2019 and 2020):

https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/events/unpacked/

This is still not possible; I already tried!

So if Samsung cannot live up to that promise, we as customers will be able to claim our money back, and be able to return our equipment.

2020-03-05_14-28-40.png2020-03-05_14-27-15.png

NCudmore
Explorer
Options

Just have another example of Samsungs Customer service/support....

Thought about changing my Note 10 plus 5g phone for an S20, so I might actually get to see some 8k footage on the TV.  They have a trade-in offer, so I thought I'd check, and they won't trade-in the phone I have as it is too new, so their on-line assistant suggested I sold it through www.samsungrecycle.co.uk, and the price it came up with, was less the trade-in price for the basic Note 10 which is older and lower spec.  Way to go Samsung.....

0 Likes
thutch
Navigator
Options
They'll never retro fit the AV1 codec, it's hardware based and requires a new TV, not a One Connect box. Samsung will never design a TV which gives you future updates like this, as it means you keep you older TV for longer. What they forget is that ultimately the consumer decides the fate of their TV's... and this consumer won't be buying Samsung again when I refresh my TV's.
0 Likes
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

@thutch wrote:
They'll never retro fit the AV1 codec, it's hardware based and requires a new TV, not a One Connect box. Samsung will never design a TV which gives you future updates like this, as it means you keep you older TV for longer. What they forget is that ultimately the consumer decides the fate of their TV's... and this consumer won't be buying Samsung again when I refresh my TV's.

Thank you for letting us know. This was one of my big worries, that the AV1 codec problem was in the TV itself and not in the One Connect Box. Do you have a reference to where you found this information ?

0 Likes
thutch
Navigator
Options
I was told this by the team who support the “email the CEO”. Let me dig it out and I’ll post up the reply.
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

@thutch wrote:
I was told this by the team who support the “email the CEO”. Let me dig it out and I’ll post up the reply.

Thanks mate. If possible then please post as a screen shot. I will post this information on the closed Samsung QLED TV Owners Facebook group, to spread this info.

0 Likes
thutch
Navigator
Options

4FD140B5-8783-4ABE-A084-27ED250C9174.png

Here you go... "regrettably there is no hardware related to the AV1 suppprt within the box" 

Hope that helps! 

PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

Thank you for sharing @thutch 

I do not know what has been said, discussed or asked, but is it possible to interpret her answer a little differently that "as of right now" the hardware in current (before 2020 models) One Connect Boxes will not support the AV1 codec ? Plus I am not able to see anything about the AV1 codec hardware problem is located in the TV-screen unit ?

By the way mate, sorry if I confuse this matter more for you and others, or/and if I somehow don't get something that should be clear... Sometimes I find Samsung's answers a bit vague, like the long battle we have had about the HDMI 2.1 issue, which we at first thought was solved with the new OCB replacements, and then it turns out these do not have the HDMI 2.1 port (in port 4) but a  "special, unique HDMI 2.0 port that does accept 8K 60p"...

0 Likes
thutch
Navigator
Options

I didn't read it like that. In most of the emails I had, there was an underlying theme - we won't be doing anything for free or putting themselves out for their existing customers... I'm still surprised they are retro fitting eARC support to be honest!  But we still don't have that 🙂

0 Likes
Hazzard
Apprentice
Options

Hi!

I haven't unpacked my Q950R yet, it's waiting for me in the hallway at home while I'm on holiday. I got a good deal on it at around 3500$. I was looking forward to watching YouTube 8K videos but sadly I found out on this forum today that this is not possible. 

But! As I see it there is no other 75" TV on the market today with the same specs and picture abilities as this model at this price point. So, should I return the TV and get a full refund or should I keep it and just enjoy the picture quality as it is, although there's no chance of playing back 8k content via any streaming service integrated in the TV.

Are you guys happy with the TV besides the stupendous YouTube mess?