Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Codec AV1 Youtube 8K

(Topic created on: 04-06-2020 06:51 PM)
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

Hi all! Is there any chance to get the codec AV1 to play youtube 8K videos on the Q900R,Q950R,Q900RB? Like new Samsung models Q950T  presented at CES 2020 will be able to play 8K videos on YT, what about us owners of 2018 model? Thanks

156 REPLIES 156
CG777
Journeyman
Options

Hello,
1. eARC should be implemented - and is only an optional part of HDMI 2.1 - that the newest OCB for 2019 already have (I bought it the TV in November 2019 and already have one HDMI (port4) at 2.1 level - and the eARC is a must if you have a Sound bar that have eArc, but only two HDMI inputs in it and you have more than 2 appliances that go to the TV
2. AV1 (and other features for 8K) - can or cannot be part of the Hardware part, but with a little desire from their part, they can do it - as promised by the Samsung representative in the BestBuy shop when I bought the TV - but isn't a written statement, so is between me and the Samsung agent... also for the eARC part)
3. When you buy a flagship 8K TV you expect to have some of 8K capabilities from it - not only from 3rd parties, isn't it ? - they have to think also for the future of business
4. Even if we ignore all the points above, finally you have a screen and an OCB that can be in theory upgraded infinitely - but how they will sell the next models 2020, 2021... and so on ? So they do cosmetics things to the screens and they will give them new OCB that normally they can give you also for your existent TV in most of the cases where there is an external box - but it seems they won't do this, simply because the business and marketing perspective.
So your 2019 TV is obsolete even before 2020...that's why they sent a second OCB, because the situation was ridiculous (the Q900RA and Q900RB models in North America).

Now, if you want more, Samsung practically tell you that you have to change your TV each year, even if you paid 4000$ or more.

It's not about the technology, it is about the business. So the honest way should be to build every 3-4 years a new TV and also with a possibility to pay a difference for a new OCB for your existing screen. But the false competition prevails. At least Sony do this at 2 years, instead of 1 year.

So, in the near future, maybe you will see little companies that will be able to adapt an 2022 OCB to your 2019 screen...

CG777
Journeyman
Options

The new LG has anything you want for ...maybe for one year ?

0 Likes
CG777
Journeyman
Options

1. eARC should be implemented - and is only an optional part of HDMI 2.1 - that the newest OCB for 2019 already have (I bought it the TV in November 2019 and already have one HDMI (port4) at 2.1 level - and the eARC is a must if you have a Sound bar that have eArc, but only two HDMI inputs in it and you have more than 2 appliances that go to the TV
2. AV1 (and other features for 8K) - can or cannot be part of the Hardware part, but with a little desire from their part, they can do it - as promised by the Samsung representative in the BestBuy shop when I bought the TV - but isn't a written statement, so is between me and the Samsung agent... also for the eARC part)
3. When you buy a flagship 8K TV you expect to have some of 8K capabilities from it - not only from 3rd parties, isn't it ? - they have to think also for the future of business

4. Even if we ignore all the points above, finally you have a screen and an OCB that can be in theory upgraded infinitely - but how they will sell te next models 2020, 2021... and so on ? So they do cosmetics things to the screens and they will give them new OCB that normally they can give you also for your existent TV - but it seems they won't do this, simply because the business and marketing perspective.

So your 2019 TV is obsolete even before 2020...that's why they sent a second OCB, because the situation was ridiculous.

Now, if you want more, Samsung practically tell you that you have to change your TV each year, even if you paid 4000$ or more. It's not about the technology, is about the business. So the honest way should be to build every 3-4 years a new TV and also with a possibility to pay a difference for a new OCB for your existing screen. But the false competition prevails. At least Sony do this at 2 years, instead of 1 year.

So, in the near future, maybe you will see little companies that will be able to adapt an 2022 OCB to your 2019 screen...

0 Likes
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

@CG777 wrote:

4. Even if we ignore all the points above, finally you have a screen and an OCB that can be in theory upgraded infinitely - but how they will sell te next models 2020, 2021... and so on ? So they do cosmetics things to the screens and they will give them new OCB that normally they can give you also for your existent TV - but it seems they won't do this, simply because the business and marketing perspective.

So your 2019 TV is obsolete even before 2020...that's why they sent a second OCB, because the situation was ridiculous.

Now, if you want more, Samsung practically tell you that you have to change your TV each year, even if you paid 4000$ or more. It's not about the technology, is about the business. So the honest way should be to build every 3-4 years a new TV and also with a possibility to pay a difference for a new OCB for your existing screen. But the false competition prevails. At least Sony do this at 2 years, instead of 1 year.

I'm not gonna buy a new tv AT ALL, i'm not really bothered because of Youtube (wich i rarely use) , i'm just worried about the future with other streaming services, if they adopt 8K via AV1, but if a PS5 can solve this, then i'll be ok, buying a 2020 model is the same as a 2018 model at the moment, technology is always been like that, not really future proof, but if they plan to really upgrade our tvs when AV1 will be an old plus then i'll be happy, eARC is not something i need by the way, but LG website give more infos, if you see the website of 2020 Samsung models they don't even mention HDMI 2.1 or av1

NCudmore
Explorer
Options
I did notice that in Hong Kong on the Samsung Apps for the TV they have a Vimeo app https://support-hk.samsung.com/tvapps/hk_en/TVApp/Details/vimeo . Given Vimeo host a large number of 8K videos it would be 'interesting' if we could a) get the same app over in the UK, and b) see if they use the same codec so we could actually see 8k video.... I couldn't see any way of loading the app to test, perhaps someone knows a way round this? Perhaps, VPN to HK and then gateway to the TV... I might try over the weekend if I'm bored enough.
thutch
Navigator
Options

Have you tried it via the Samsung browser?  Checking the Vimeo website, they don't use AV1 for their 8K compression, but HVEC instead: https://vimeo.com/help/compression

0 Likes
thutch
Navigator
Options
In fact, I checked and it didn’t work via the browser... I checked their requirements and although the use HVEC, TV browsers aren’t supported.
https://vimeo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115015918627-Watching-videos-above-4K-5K-6K-7K-8K-
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

@thutch wrote:

Have you tried it via the Samsung browser?  Checking the Vimeo website, they don't use AV1 for their 8K compression, but HVEC instead: https://vimeo.com/help/compression

I am trying to watch the video "Enchanting France | 8K" in 8K - as I can see through the picture setting on the video on my MacBook internet browser (Safari), "8K" comes up as an alternative (many of the other "8K" videos I have checked on Vimeo are not).

Skjermbilde 2020-06-05 kl. 13.46.15.png

But how do I change the quality setting when watching the video in the Vimeo app I have on my TV ? The settings option does not come up...

0 Likes
thutch
Navigator
Options
Also found this... lols Vimeo app is only support on Samsung TV’s from 2015-2018

Samsung

We support Samsung devices manufactured from 2015-2018 that are running the Tizen operating system. To download and use the Vimeo app on a Samsung device, visit the Samsung App Store on your device.

https://vimeo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/234998668-TV-apps

I’m on fire today! Think i deserved the an 8k codec and eARC upgrade now Samsung!
0 Likes
NCudmore
Explorer
Options

New response from Samsung..

I am in receipt of your further escalation to the CEO, my apologies for any delay in response. I hope that I can provide additional clarification.

On the day that your escalation was received, I had received contact regarding similar concerns from another customer. As the response had been provided by our AV department, I had included all information in case this was required, and recognise that this included responses to questions that you had not asked. I apologise for any confusion this caused.

With regard to CODECs supported on the television, these are supplied on the eManual within your television menu, if you require any assistance with locating this information please let me know.

So, it would appear the basic answer is "you'll find out what CODECs the TV supports once you have purchased the TV, set it up and then read the emanual"!

No mention of the fact they advertise YouTube and 8K on the same page yet these sets won't actually run YouTube in 8K, nor will just about anything else....

I now think Douglas Adams could well of been describing Samsung's customer support when he was refering to the fictional "Marketing Division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation" when he wrote that they were "a bunch of mindless jerks who'll be the first against the wall when the revolution comes"

0 Likes