Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Codec AV1 Youtube 8K

(Topic created on: 04-06-2020 04:51 PM)
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

Hi all! Is there any chance to get the codec AV1 to play youtube 8K videos on the Q900R,Q950R,Q900RB? Like new Samsung models Q950T  presented at CES 2020 will be able to play 8K videos on YT, what about us owners of 2018 model? Thanks

156 REPLIES 156
AntS
Options

No worries @PeerNorway

I asked my TV colleagues your queries.

HDMI 2.1 or HDMI 2.0?: There appears to be some kind of weird wrangling behind the scenes as to the exact terms we can say – hence why you were advised that way by Support. I can’t give any more detail on that, but I can confirm that the upgraded OCB added the ability to accept 8K at 60p.

eARC: No news on this for your model as of yet.

AV1 codec: The hardware restriction is on the Main Board, rather than the OCB.

Related to that, and the 2018 release of AV1 you mentioned, one of the aspects that understandably gets overlooked by most folks is the time difference between when something is designed and when it goes on sale. For example, any Main Boards sold in 2018 will have been designed in 2016/17 – and so wouldn’t have been designed to handle a codec finalised in 2018. If support for something can be added at a later date then it might be, but if it can't... well frustratingly (for the developers as well as you guys) it just can't. AV1 appears to be one of those latter frustrating instances.

Jccrawfo
Explorer
Options

Hi AntS, appreciate the reply!  As for the AV1 codec, it's unfortunate that we won't be able to upgrade anything to get support but the solution of using an 8K streaming device (when any are released) via the upgraded OCB seems like a suitable solution.  Many thanks again

0 Likes
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

@AntS wrote:

No worries @PeerNorway

I asked my TV colleagues your queries.

HDMI 2.1 or HDMI 2.0?: There appears to be some kind of weird wrangling behind the scenes as to the exact terms we can say – hence why you were advised that way by Support. I can’t give any more detail on that, but I can confirm that the upgraded OCB added the ability to accept 8K at 60p.

eARC: No news on this for your model as of yet.

AV1 codec: The hardware restriction is on the Main Board, rather than the OCB.

Related to that, and the 2018 release of AV1 you mentioned, one of the aspects that understandably gets overlooked by most folks is the time difference between when something is designed and when it goes on sale. For example, any Main Boards sold in 2018 will have been designed in 2016/17 – and so wouldn’t have been designed to handle a codec finalised in 2018. If support for something can be added at a later date then it might be, but if it can't... well frustratingly (for the developers as well as you guys) it just can't. AV1 appears to be one of those latter frustrating instances.

Hi, do you know if the AV1 issue can be solved via external device like a future PS5 or XBOX?

Lord_Sirius_a
Explorer
Options
👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎
0 Likes
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

Thank you @AntS for taking time replying to my questions. I really appreciate it !

Sorry if I am a bit hars now, but it is a disappointment that Samsung did not care to address this prior to me asking for the new One Connect Box, when I clearly ONLY asked for HDMI 2.1 port(s) upgrades. They seemed to totally ignore it. On top of it, I inquired about this with Samsung directly (for the first time) in January 2020, and got my newly produced One Connect Box in mid-May 2020 - and by then all these issues should have been very well known for Samsung, and they should have corrected this - or even offered an upgrade for a small fee ! At least made an honest effort to come clean with this ! I bought my TV back in October 2019, and they did not even have the TV in stock and had to be ordered from Samsung ! So many opportunities to fix this...

My hope is that there is a possibility to get a fix on this with a separate device, especially this AV1 issue. Again, I assume the TV screen itself is 8K, and the AV1 or any other issue - would be in the One Connect Box. Or is this Main Board in the TV itself (not inside the OCB) ? 

I also question if only Port 4 has this 8K 60p. special HDMI port, or if all four have it, as it seems a bit pointless to only have this on one port - to an 8K TV.

What type of HDMI cables should I use on the port(s) if it is not really HDMI 2.1 ? My plans are to maybe wait till Apple releases their 8K Apple TV, upgrade my Blu-ray player, get either Xbox or Playstation - and then you have the TV modem and either an amplifier or a sound plank.

By the way, I have the One Connect Box model: SOC2003RS 

0 Likes
thutch
Navigator
Options

Thanks for those replies @AntS 

I assume your answers are for both the 2018 and 2019 models - my original post was regarding the Q950R (UK/EU 2019 model) which I brought last week.  I am disappointed to have very limited 8K content, so frustrated that we can't watch 8K YouTube video's.  I'm hoping that AV1 doesn't become the default 8K video codec and HVEC is born again!

eARC for 2019 models, I've been hopeful that we can be able to use our Samsung soundbars (which just got an eARC update) on my new TV?  I hope we get a similar up on the 950.

As another message implied, a Xbox or streaming device will probably be the only route we can take for 8K content moving forward... I would of liked my 8K TV to of had more about it that just being an 8K display, with native apps supporting the correct codecs.  Appreciate it's not H264 hardware acceleration

0 Likes
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

The new LG is everything we wanted

6B68F98E-7B71-4570-A035-8457EC2E4F5F.png

CAC0C236-EAA0-498E-9CB0-810D97B1F464.png

thutch
Navigator
Options
to be fair, I think that's the same as the 2020 Samsung models... but yes, agreed - would preferred it if another TV brand came out and said it was retro fitting eARC and 8K codecs hahaha
0 Likes
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

Lg website is clear, and all ports are hdmi 2.1, 2020 just 1 like us

thutch
Navigator
Options
If native apps provide 8K content then actually how many 2.1 ports does one need - unless you want XBX, PS5....
0 Likes