Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Codec AV1 Youtube 8K

(Topic created on: 03-06-2020 10:11 AM)
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

Hi all! Is there any chance to get the codec AV1 to play youtube 8K videos on the Q900R,Q950R,Q900RB? Like new Samsung models Q950T  presented at CES 2020 will be able to play 8K videos on YT, what about us owners of 2018 model? Thanks

156 REPLIES 156
CG777
Journeyman
Options

Why this fake news? It already was for such many HW already and this TV in private can do it without any problem 

0 Likes
CG777
Journeyman
Options

Thisis because they are Level 1 support - you have to escalade to 2 or 3...but will take ages - the sistem is built like this...not for humans

0 Likes
CG777
Journeyman
Options

Good points...but 2091! I need for at least 2020!

0 Likes
CG777
Journeyman
Options

Is is simply a lie from their part. As you can see (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AV1) is since 2018 and Samsung is one of the founders...

Is only neglicence, greed and laziness.

They should be taken in justice, because it is not normal what is happeneing at all. Many times the "suggest" feature will come directly or through suppliers (eg. Samsung Agents Bestbuy, etc) as a marketing machine.

I thing soon a class action will rise for 2019 8K. If not I will write everywhere in the near future. 

0 Likes
CG777
Journeyman
Options

Nowhere ... it is only lies and lazziness ...and dishonest marketing

PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

@CG777 wrote:

Is is simply a lie from their part. As you can see (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AV1) is since 2018 and Samsung is one of the founders...

Is only neglicence, greed and laziness.

They should be taken in justice, because it is not normal what is happeneing at all. Many times the "suggest" feature will come directly or through suppliers (eg. Samsung Agents Bestbuy, etc) as a marketing machine.

I thing soon a class action will rise for 2019 8K. If not I will write everywhere in the near future. 

This is very interesting !

I recently got a new One Connect Box replacement (on 14th. May 2020) to fix the HDMI 2.1 problem on my Q900R TV, and I wonder if they also fixed the eARC and AV1 (which some claimed in a closed QLED forum on Facebook, since my replacement was so recently). Is there a way to find out in the settings on the TV ? I have already sent them a message about these other issues (including the heat problem that some are mentioning).

0 Likes
NCudmore
Explorer
Options
Easy way to check if the AV-1 issue is fixed is to find the 8K channel on YouTube and see if they actually play in 8K, just check the resolution and if you can only select Auto or 4K and below then I guess it's not fixed.
0 Likes
thutch
Navigator
Options

@NCudmore wrote:
Easy way to check if the AV-1 issue is fixed is to find the 8K channel on YouTube and see if they actually play in 8K, just check the resolution and if you can only select Auto or 4K and below then I guess it's not fixed.

Absolutely.  go to Youtube and browser to a "8K movie" and check your settings... given what I've been told, there is zero chance that you'll have a OCB which has AV1 support.  The last message I had from "Kirsty" was that the fix for AV1 support couldn't be done via the OCB, so you'd assume the hardware acceleration is done on the 2020 models themselves.

0 Likes
thutch
Navigator
Options

The recommended approach from Samsung is wait for a 3rd party 8K device (like a games console) and hope it has the codec support to run 8K movies in it's own native streaming apps - to then pass this onto the 8K display via your single 2.1 HDMI port.

0 Likes
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

@AntS wrote:

Cheers JAMES4758! 👍

I can confirm you're correct: the 2018 and 2019 range 8K TVs can't support the AV1 codec due to hardware restrictions.

Hello @AntS 

First of all, thank you so much for clarifying that none of the 2018 and 2019 8K TV has the AV1, and that it is a hardware (not Software) restriction. 

When I contacted Samsung today to ask if the new One Connect Box (OCB) I got replaced for my Q900R, I got totally confused about what the Samsung representative was trying to tell me. First, she claimed that the new OCB did not have the HDMI 2.1 upgrade, but some sort of "special and unique" HDMI 2.0, which should give me 8K - this really pissed me off, especially if she miss-informs me or IF in fact Samsung has not upgraded the HDMI 2.1 port... The way I understand, no model, version or type of HDMI 2.0 will be able to give real 8K, and I do not want to get into this again, so please confirm if newly produced and sent out OCB (the replacements) the port 4 has the HDMI 2.1.

Now turning to the AV1 codec and eARC. It is my understanding that eARC does not have anything to do with watching 8K on YouTube. It is the AV1 codec. I do not understand why the Swedish Samsung representative had to talk about the eARC... I am not technical, but eARC has to do with the sound, and in short, if it can go both ways, through port 3 ("ARC"). The Port 3 on my new One Connect Box (SOC2003RC) says "ARC", not "eARC", so I assume - even though I got my new One Connect Box on 14th. May 2020 (and I was told these were newly produced, from this year/2020) - is there a way to check if mine still has the missing eARC and AV1 codec ? As mentioned by others, it is a bit strange that they would not upgrade those two issues, when you produce and send out in May 2020 - especially since the AV1 is not a very new codec, but was released back in March 2018 by the Alliance for Open Media, in which Samsung is a governing member of. I would also like to know if there is a possibility that my One Connect Box would get it solved through an external device like a future Apple TV (with 8K) - but it can only work if it goes through the Port 4, which goes back to if it, in fact, has the HDMI 2.1 upgrade !

0 Likes