Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Codec AV1 Youtube 8K

(Topic created on: 02-06-2020 03:41 PM)
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

Hi all! Is there any chance to get the codec AV1 to play youtube 8K videos on the Q900R,Q950R,Q900RB? Like new Samsung models Q950T  presented at CES 2020 will be able to play 8K videos on YT, what about us owners of 2018 model? Thanks

156 REPLIES 156
thutch
Navigator
Options
No idea what that means then - possibly different countries have different codes. Never mind
0 Likes
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

Wow well they know pretty well the issues, let'see if  they will really work on it to sort it out

0 Likes
thutch
Navigator
Options

I had another reply... this one seems pretty definitive in their position on AV1 support for their 2019 sets

Thank you for your email. Our AV head technician has responded to the points you have raised, and I hope these provide further clarification.

With regard to your concerns over the compatibility, your television was designed and released in 2018/2019 before AV 1 was available to markets and as such it would not be possible for our designers to pre-empt the required technology to make this compatible. We ensure that we design products to be compatible with technology and as such now that AV 1 is readily available, this is included as part of the 2020 television setup. As this is a hardware arrangement it would not be possible to adjust your television through software updates.

For gaming, your television supports 8K input by HDMI and through having an 8K ready display capable of showing this content, rather than just gaming.

Our technicians have confirmed that they will not be looking to support future CODEC releases on 2019 televisions, and I am sorry if this response is not what you were hoping for. I acknowledge that your purchase was only a short time ago and while we of course hope that the features and enjoyment of your set will encourage you to consider retention.

Thank you once again for raising this with us.

I have replied again asking it One Connect box upgrades would be an option to get compatibility for future codecs.

At this point, the only other option to consider is using a 8K ready stream device (future gaming consoles, like PS5, XBX, or Roxu's) to access the YT.com content that way, instead of using the native apps in the Samsung OS.  

I think this will be an interesting topic to watch anyway... I've already read that AV1 still doesn't offer the best 8K video very well (no loseless) so AV2 is already under consideration, how would this impact 2020 TV's?  There are also other codecs coming in the future which again might be a more reliable and stable, the successor to HVEC.   What ever happens, if we got Samsung to retro fit compatibility to AV1, it would only be another codec next year and the year after.  One Connect upgrades (at a cost) would be a good option for the consumer, but otherwise, use 3rd party devices to get a more modern approach to streaming 8K content and don't rely on your TV... it's just an 8K screen, nothing more.

Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

@thutch wrote:

I had another reply... this one seems pretty definitive in their position on AV1 support for their 2019 sets

Thank you for your email. Our AV head technician has responded to the points you have raised, and I hope these provide further clarification.

With regard to your concerns over the compatibility, your television was designed and released in 2018/2019 before AV 1 was available to markets and as such it would not be possible for our designers to pre-empt the required technology to make this compatible. We ensure that we design products to be compatible with technology and as such now that AV 1 is readily available, this is included as part of the 2020 television setup. As this is a hardware arrangement it would not be possible to adjust your television through software updates.

For gaming, your television supports 8K input by HDMI and through having an 8K ready display capable of showing this content, rather than just gaming.

Our technicians have confirmed that they will not be looking to support future CODEC releases on 2019 televisions, and I am sorry if this response is not what you were hoping for. I acknowledge that your purchase was only a short time ago and while we of course hope that the features and enjoyment of your set will encourage you to consider retention.

I have replied again asking it One Connect box upgrades would be an option to get compatibility for future codecs.

At this point, the only other option to consider is using a 8K ready stream device (future gaming consoles, like PS5, XBX, or Roxu's) to access the YT.com content that way, instead of using the native apps in the Samsung OS.  

I think this will be an interesting topic to watch anyway... I've already read that AV1 still doesn't offer the best 8K video very well (no loseless) so AV2 is already under consideration, how would this impact 2020 TV's?  There are also other codecs coming in the future which again might be a more reliable and stable, the predecessor to HVEC.   What every happens, if we got Samsung to retro fit compatibility to AV1, it would only be another codec next year and the year after.  One Connect upgrades (at a cost) would be a good option for the consumer, but otherwise, use 3rd party devices to get a more modern approach to streaming 8K content and don't rely on your TV... it's just an 8K screen, nothing more.

Great thanks for your infos

Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

@thutch wrote:

I think this will be an interesting topic to watch anyway... I've already read that AV1 still doesn't offer the best 8K video very well (no loseless) so AV2 is already under consideration, how would this impact 2020 TV's?  There are also other codecs coming in the future which again might be a more reliable and stable, the predecessor to HVEC.   What every happens, if we got Samsung to retro fit compatibility to AV1, it would only be another codec next year and the year after.  One Connect upgrades (at a cost) would be a good option for the consumer, but otherwise, use 3rd party devices to get a more modern approach to streaming 8K content and don't rely on your TV... it's just an 8K screen, nothing more.

If through a ps5 i will solve the problem that's fine to me, and maybe an upgraded OCB can be a solution

thutch
Navigator
Options

A PS5 or XBX, if they have the hardware acceleration to support AV1, then absolutely agree... makes the whole Smart App portal a bit redundant which is a shame.  Mind you, with my old ES8000 that happened after a few years (Youtube app became out of support)

Focus now on eARC - unless Samsung reverse on this

0 Likes
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

@thutch wrote:

A PS5 or XBX, if they have the hardware acceleration to support AV1, then absolutely agree... makes the whole Smart App portal a bit redundant which is a shame.  Mind you, with my old ES8000 that happened after a few years (Youtube app became out of support)

Focus now on eARC - unless Samsung reverse on this

For eARC it's better open another topic :smiling-face:

thutch
Navigator
Options
No that surprising that there are already a few open threads on this.. I've added a few replies to those 🙂
NCudmore
Explorer
Options

Waiting for the latest response as to why they sent the answer to a question I didn't ask...

However, in the meantime I did notice that their emails are in breach of the Companies Act 2006, which states that 

all of your business emails (and your letterhead and order forms) to include the following details in legible characters:

• Your company's registered name (e.g. XYZ Ltd)
  • Your company registration number;
  • Your place of registration (e.g. Scotland or England & Wales); and
  • Your registered office address

It is not enough to provide a link to this information from an email footer. The Regulations provide that any ‘display’ or disclosure of information required by the Regulations must be "in characters that can be read with the naked eye

Failure to comply with these requirements puts a company at risk of a fine of £1,000 per breach if they fail to correct this!

So, just wondering if the responses we are etting are all coming from some underpaid intern....

thutch
Navigator
Options

:face-with-tears-of-joy:

0 Likes