Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Codec AV1 Youtube 8K

(Topic created on: 01-06-2020 07:40 PM)
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

Hi all! Is there any chance to get the codec AV1 to play youtube 8K videos on the Q900R,Q950R,Q900RB? Like new Samsung models Q950T  presented at CES 2020 will be able to play 8K videos on YT, what about us owners of 2018 model? Thanks

156 REPLIES 156
Jccrawfo
Explorer
Options

Yeah I just received exactly the same response. 

0 Likes
thutch
Navigator
Options
I've replied again... I don't feel they answered any of my questions.
0 Likes
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options
Does anyone know where the eARC and AV1 codecs problems we have are located ? Is it in the separate One Connect Box only, and not the TV screen itself ? Do we need a new port replaced (or all), or is this a small chip problem ?
0 Likes
thutch
Navigator
Options
I'd assume it was in the one connect box, that is at least where they'd need to update the HDMI port for eARC support... would assume the same is for the AV1 codec. Does Samsung ever offer up One Connect box upgrades?
0 Likes
NCudmore
Explorer
Options

Et tu, Brute?

I also got a response back from Kirsty Caswell 

Thank you for your recent email to the CEO of Samsung UK. I am sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction with the capabilities of your Samsung television.

While our department is not technically trained, following receipt of your escalation I have contacted our AV department to discuss. They have explained that while they acknowledge your view that this would have compatibility for future hardware, due to a hardware limitation this cannot support AV1 CODEC and was not advertised as such.

Further to this, as this is in regard to future CODECs used by app providers to deliver 8K content – where it has not been confirmed by said app or streaming service providers as to which CODECs will be used for 8K content (AV1 or otherwise) – and as AV1 did not exist when the majority of the models in the range were being designed or finalised, it would not be possible for this to be known or accurately commented upon.

We acknowledge your comments with regard to eARC release and while we do not have any information on a timescale for release, your request been provided to the relevant teams for their review and to show that our customers are awaiting this release.

With regard to the language used, this television range is 8K ready in that the screen has the capability to display 8K content, which is included in the user manual provided.

I hope this provides some clarification and we appreciate you taking the time to raise this with us. Should you remain dissatisfied with the capabilities of your television, I understand that you are still within your rights to return to your retailer, although we of course hope that the enjoyment of the television as a whole will encourage you to retain.

I think the point here is totally missed as that YouTube was testing with AV-1 codec back in 2018 for content, as it was initially released back as a standard March 28, 2018, so to say codecs such as AV1 did not exist when the models were being designed or finalised means that they had no plans to support it from the get-go, since they are basically saying "there wasn't a standard to follow, so we did this and haven't built in any flexibility for it to do anything else.".  No mention of the issue of lack of support for the older DV Video (dvsd codec), yet she goes on about the eARC which I didn't ask about.  This would suggest a sort of 'head in the sand' mentality that manufacturers showed in the past with the likes of consumer versions of Betamax and then HD-DVD.

Any sensible approach would have been to design the system to have software codecs and not just a hardware based solution.  Saying it didn't exist when we produced our product is a bit like saying, we've built this fantastic new car that runs does 500 miles to a gallon, but not on petrol but on our secret formula X, and you can't buy formula X, it also won't work on petrol since that's what other people use.

As thutch says, we've yet to see 8K content from Amazon Prime, Netflix and Apple TV, but if you're going to 'promote' on the products web page YouTube as being supported, it's not unreasonable to expect that it would actually work.   That said I wouldn't put it past Apple to come up with their own 'standard' so in future you have to use Apple hardware for Apple TV.....

PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

@thutch wrote:
I'd assume it was in the one connect box, that is at least where they'd need to update the HDMI port for eARC support... would assume the same is for the AV1 codec. Does Samsung ever offer up One Connect box upgrades?

Yes, they did send me a new One Connect Box replacement in which they at least upgraded the Port 4 to an HDMI 2.1, which my (Q900R) box did not have, but with these newly discovered problems, I do not know. I inquired about this (HDMI 2.1 problem) in late January (2020), and got my OCB replacement delivered on 14th. May 2020 - they have had problems with delivering these new OCB replacements fast enough because of the big demand and the current world situation, but I was very happy and relieved when I got mine. of course, there is no way to test this Port 4 HDMI 2.1 yet (as far as I know) for the 8K...

By the way, some guy on Facebook claimed my new OCB will have all the necessary upgrades, so I don't have to get a replacement for the 2nd. time (if they do this), and another guy said the eARC was in the Port 4 HDMI 2.1 - but I have not yet gotten these two claims confirmed yet... I have however sent Samsung an inquiry about this (which I will of course update you guys with when I have an answer/reply).

0 Likes
thutch
Navigator
Options

@NCudmore wrote:

Et tu, Brute?

I also got a response back from Kirsty Caswell 

Thank you for your recent email to the CEO of Samsung UK. I am sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction with the capabilities of your Samsung television.

While our department is not technically trained, following receipt of your escalation I have contacted our AV department to discuss. They have explained that while they acknowledge your view that this would have compatibility for future hardware, due to a hardware limitation this cannot support AV1 CODEC and was not advertised as such.

Further to this, as this is in regard to future CODECs used by app providers to deliver 8K content – where it has not been confirmed by said app or streaming service providers as to which CODECs will be used for 8K content (AV1 or otherwise) – and as AV1 did not exist when the majority of the models in the range were being designed or finalised, it would not be possible for this to be known or accurately commented upon.

We acknowledge your comments with regard to eARC release and while we do not have any information on a timescale for release, your request been provided to the relevant teams for their review and to show that our customers are awaiting this release.

With regard to the language used, this television range is 8K ready in that the screen has the capability to display 8K content, which is included in the user manual provided.

I hope this provides some clarification and we appreciate you taking the time to raise this with us. Should you remain dissatisfied with the capabilities of your television, I understand that you are still within your rights to return to your retailer, although we of course hope that the enjoyment of the television as a whole will encourage you to retain.

I think the point here is totally missed as that YouTube was testing with AV-1 codec back in 2018 for content, as it was initially released back as a standard March 28, 2018, so to say codecs such as AV1 did not exist when the models were being designed or finalised means that they had no plans to support it from the get-go, since they are basically saying "there wasn't a standard to follow, so we did this and haven't built in any flexibility for it to do anything else.".  No mention of the issue of lack of support for the older DV Video (dvsd codec), yet she goes on about the eARC which I didn't ask about.  This would suggest a sort of 'head in the sand' mentality that manufacturers showed in the past with the likes of consumer versions of Betamax and then HD-DVD.

Any sensible approach would have been to design the system to have software codecs and not just a hardware based solution.  Saying it didn't exist when we produced our product is a bit like saying, we've built this fantastic new car that runs does 500 miles to a gallon, but not on petrol but on our secret formula X, and you can't buy formula X, it also won't work on petrol since that's what other people use.

As thutch says, we've yet to see 8K content from Amazon Prime, Netflix and Apple TV, but if you're going to 'promote' on the products web page YouTube as being supported, it's not unreasonable to expect that it would actually work.   That said I wouldn't put it past Apple to come up with their own 'standard' so in future you have to use Apple hardware for Apple TV.....

Will you reply to her and ask why she referred to eARC?  I get the impression she sent a blanket reply to all the emails on this subject today!

0 Likes
thutch
Navigator
Options
What's the model number of your OBC then PeerNorway? Mine is SOC1006R - cross reference that to yours and see if it's higher or the same
0 Likes
Jccrawfo
Explorer
Options

@PeerNorway wrote:

@thutch wrote:

Yes, they did send me a new One Connect Box replacement in which they at least upgraded the Port 4 to an HDMI 2.1, which my (Q900R) box did not have, but with these newly discovered problems, I do not know. I inquired about this (HDMI 2.1 problem) in late January (2020), and got my OCB replacement delivered on 14th. May 2020 - they have had problems with delivering these new OCB replacements fast enough because of the big demand and the current world situation, but I was very happy and relieved when I got mine. of course, there is no way to test this Port 4 HDMI 2.1 yet (as far as I know) for the 8K...

Yes I've requested the upgraded OneConnect box but right at the beginning of the lockdown so they're telling me nobody can come to my house and install it, which is fair.  Hopefully happens soon!

I can't imagine that the new codec would require a hardware upgrade but surely it's in the OneConnect box as well so you'd think they could provide another upgrade.  With the HDMI 2.1 they promised this upgrade from the beginning so I wouldn' expect this to be free but I'd be willing to pay a certain amount for it (considering the astronimical price of the TV itself)

0 Likes
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

@thutch wrote:
What's the model number of your OBC then PeerNorway? Mine is SOC1006R - cross reference that to yours and see if it's higher or the same

My new OCB replacement is  SOC2003RS (the one I had before, that came with the TV had SOC2002R).

0 Likes