Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Codec AV1 Youtube 8K

(Topic created on: 01-06-2020 12:03 AM)
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

Hi all! Is there any chance to get the codec AV1 to play youtube 8K videos on the Q900R,Q950R,Q900RB? Like new Samsung models Q950T  presented at CES 2020 will be able to play 8K videos on YT, what about us owners of 2018 model? Thanks

156 REPLIES 156
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

@thutch wrote:

Will do thanks!  From what I've been told (brother in law has a 950R too) HDMI 2.1 is available in port 4

Not heard about the over heating issue, so will keep an eye on that one, thank you.

Actually I think you are correct, but make sure you double-check. There is a few 8K videos you can download to a USB stick and see if the correct resolution comes up when you click info on the file.  One of the videos is a drone shot over New York which I hear is beautiful and amazing to watch.

@thutch wrote:

From what I read on another forum, eARC would be another software update... not heard that from Samsung yet mind, perhaps it will be a new OCB?  

From what I have been told, eARC is a hardware problem, and cannot be fixed with software.

thutch
Navigator
Options
Oh ok, so that would require a new One Connect box to shipped then?
0 Likes
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

@thutch wrote:
Oh ok, so that would require a new One Connect box to shipped then?

All you need to do is contact Samsung directly - either by phone, e-mail or chat function. I got a new OCB replacement shipped for free because of the HDMI 2.1 issues I had with my old OCB, which is now fixed (and I can finally watch 8K videos). They will require you to return the old OCB, but that is also free of charge. However the eARC and AV1 codec problem must be properly solved first (they have acknowledged AV1 codec issue.

By the way, someone claimed on a closed QLED forum that the eARC would be the (Port 4) HDMI 2.1 (and some other dude who worked in Samsung claimed that the eARC issue would also be fixed in the newest replacement OCB), but I am sceptical about that as my new OCB replacement still had the text "ARC" (not eARC) written next to the Port 3.

There is a really great video about eARC which you learn a lot from it. I asked the guy who made the video and he was not sure about the eARC fix in the HDMI 2.1, so he needed to look more into it and get back to me (see comment section). I will of course let you know in here when and if he finds out and replies. 

Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

Yes this forum is just for "normal" people, we're not technical, each of these issues should be solved via Samsung Support and then the news posted here, when i was about to swap my old OCB for the HDMI 2.1 one, the italian support told me it wasn't available but after 4 months i called them and it was possibile to switch, even for the AV1 codec i was in touch with them during the past few months and untill 2 weeks ago their response was  "we don't know, it's early etc.." , as i told you i didn't ask for eARC because i have a Sonos System that use optical input, eARC is a new thing as the AV1 codec that's why it wasn't implemented with our TVS but Samsung usually updates their TV charging or for free, the only way is calling or texting the local support,also it's Covid time And they're more slow, if you hear any update about AV1 and eARC your post will be very appreciated:)

thutch
Navigator
Options

So eARC would have to be updated on port 4... which will mean some annoying switching of cables when I want to play some 8K gaming in the future... although I could plug the sound bar into the Xbox perhaps?  Not sure.

0 Likes
PeerNorway
Voyager
Options

@thutch wrote:

So eARC would have to be updated on port 4... which will mean some annoying switching of cables when I want to play some 8K gaming in the future... although I could plug the sound bar into the Xbox perhaps?  Not sure.

Take that info with a grain of salt... This claim was made by a person in the shut Facebook group. I am not a technical guy, but to me it seems to be best if this eARC would be in port 3 (which has the specific text "ARC" in), so time will tell how this will be solved. 

By the way, I assume the HDMI 2.1 was fixed in a replacement of the port 4 (I have been told it is not possible to see the difference between these ports with the naked eye), but will those two other issues only be solved with a more complicated chip on the motherboard or something ? I also wonder if Samsung might solve these new issues with a separate device/box that we would be able to attach through the HDMI or USB ports - that is if it is possible ? Oh well, there I go speculating - so better leave this to the expert replies we get (however Samsung, if you are reading this and I came up with a genius groundbreaking doable solution then I want my 25% ! Haha...)

thutch
Navigator
Options
Yeah because I’d assume you need HDMI 2.1 for eARC so you’d need port 4... then you’d lose your 8k feed (in the future) like a games console or disc player. So they’d have to give us an extra port... I think the new models might have the same issue with single HDMI 2.1 port. Will have another look.
0 Likes
NCudmore
Explorer
Options

Hi,

I just got my q950r set Friday, and after setting it up and checking the software was on the latest version then spent ages looking via the YouTube app for 8k content, only to find everything playing in 4K.  Only via this forum have I discovered that the set hasn't got the support for the required codec.  I thought at first it was a limitation of the app.

I then found even worse is that 1/2 my existing 4K content that I shot/edited and the saved as AVI files won't even play, while my older 5 1/2 year old Sony will play anything 4K and below.  The only thing I was expecting it not to play was 3D footage and the odd 3D Blu-ray disks I have, this is crazy in this day and age that a 5 year old plus TV is more capable than a brand new 'higher spec.' TV.  So far while I admit the Picture is better than the Sony, it's only  'plus' is the Apple TV app, there's far more capability on my Sony which I relegated to the bedroom.

So, I'm also thinking this is a case for `Trading Standards', thus if you want another name, for the complaint count me in.

Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

@NCudmore wrote:

Hi,

I just got my q950r set Friday, and after setting it up and checking the software was on the latest version then spent ages looking via the YouTube app for 8k content, only to find everything playing in 4K.  Only via this forum have I discovered that the set hasn't got the support for the required codec.  I thought at first it was a limitation of the app.

I then found even worse is that 1/2 my existing 4K content that I shot/edited and the saved as AVI files won't even play, while my older 5 1/2 year old Sony will play anything 4K and below.  The only thing I was expecting it not to play was 3D footage and the odd 3D Blu-ray disks I have, this is crazy in this day and age that a 5 year old plus TV is more capable than a brand new 'higher spec.' TV.  So far while I admit the Picture is better than the Sony, it's only  'plus' is the Apple TV app, there's far more capability on my Sony which I relegated to the bedroom.

So, I'm also thinking this is a case for `Trading Standards', thus if you want another name, for the complaint count me in.

Hi, get in touch with the support and ask when they will plan to add this AV1 codec and let us know

thutch
Navigator
Options

@NCudmore wrote:

Hi,

You make some really good points here and you're right, these flagship TVs do have a few short comings, which I hope Samsung address soon... certainly because other older devices (like your Sony) are better equipped.  

I found the other day that my One Connect box also only has a 100M network adapter, so streaming 4K movies from my Plex server runs better on my 5 year old Xbox One than direct through the Plex app on my new TV - I'm really surprised they are gigabit NIC's by standard.

1.  Lack of AV1 support

2. No gigabit NIC

3. Lack of eArc support

Please Samsung, this could all be supported by an update to the One Connect box...