Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Codec AV1 Youtube 8K

(Topic created on: 12-02-2020 07:47 AM)
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

Hi all! Is there any chance to get the codec AV1 to play youtube 8K videos on the Q900R,Q950R,Q900RB? Like new Samsung models Q950T  presented at CES 2020 will be able to play 8K videos on YT, what about us owners of 2018 model? Thanks

156 REPLIES 156
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

@Lord_Sirius_a wrote:
Hola sabemos algo nuevo de samsung respecto a este tema?
Llevo toda la vida comprando tvs de samsung pero como esto siga asi me parece que lg sera mi siguiente tv. Esto es una verguenza, comprarte hace un mes una tv que no podra reproducir videos streaming en 8k. Verguenza.

Write in english please :smiling-face: i'm not that good in spanish, you can see 8K videos, just youtube need AV1 at the moment and still no good news 😞

0 Likes
Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

0 Likes
hrking2001
Journeyman
Options

Can we please have an update on this Samsung Support? 

Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

@hrking2001 wrote:

Can we please have an update on this Samsung Support? 

0 Likes
Jccrawfo
Explorer
Options

Any updates on this yet? 

0 Likes
Jonomarra
First Poster
Options

No all you can do is put tv in shop mode an watch the animals 

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

As far as I can ascertain pre 2020   8K TV processors  are  incapable of decoding YouTube 8K streaming videos, only demo content can  be displayed.

Whilst this article is 10 months old suggests  hardware limitations https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news/8k 

A bit about the 2020 8k QLED https://www.whathifi.com/advice/samsung-2020-tv-lineup-everything-you-need-to-know 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Translation:

"Hello , do we know something new from samsung regarding this topic.  I have been buying Samsung Tvs all my life but if this continues it seems to me that LG will be my next TV. This is a shame buying a month ago  a Tv that could not play streaming video in 8k. Shame".

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

AntS
Options

Cheers JAMES4758! 👍

I can confirm you're correct: the 2018 and 2019 range 8K TVs can't support the AV1 codec due to hardware restrictions.

Noirdog
Pathfinder
Options

@AntS wrote:

Cheers JAMES4758! 👍

I can confirm you're correct: the 2018 and 2019 range 8K TVs can't support the AV1 codec due to hardware restrictions.

So we basically own a 4K tv, that's delusional!! Can we just swap the One Connect Box to solve this issue? I'm asking because they made the One Connect box for this kind of purpose, am i wrong?