Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Channel 4000

(Topic created on: 29-11-2019 09:29 PM)
Louise83
First Poster
Options

My mum's TV was turning onto Channel 4000 / Rakuten TV, I managed to delete the channel from the list and removed the app, but every now and then when we turn the TV on it comes up on channel 4000 again! My mum has dementia and all she wants to do is watch BBC1, I've tried explaining to her how to change it back to channel 1 but with her condition it doesn't sink in. Is there any other way of preventing it turning onto 4000?

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Hi @Louise83 

Here are the full instructions for removing channels 4000 to 4003 (TV Plus):

Step 1 – Remove TV Plus Tile from Home Bar

Press the “Home” Key and highlight the TV Plus Tile

Press “Curser Down” to open the sub Menu

Click on “Remove” then Confirm the choice

TV Plus Tile is now removed from Home Bar

Step 2 – Deleting the TV Plus Channels from the TV Memory.

Open the “Channel List” by using the Quick launch from the Home Bar

Simple Remote – Press “CH List”

Smart Remote – Press & Hold the “Guide” key (Push the “CH” Key in)

Navigate to “Edit Channels”

Navigate to & select “Channel Filter”

Select “TV Plus”

Select “TV PLUS (0/4)

Navigate to & select “Delete”

Confirm the deletion

TV will now default to Channel 1

Navigate to & select “Exit”

You have successfully removed the TV Plus Tile & TV Plus Channels

• “Universal Guide” may still display content from TVPlus. If any of this content is selected from the “Universal Guide” it will immediately restore the “TVPlus” channels. This is normal & correct behaviour which cannot be changed. Hope this helps!

0 Likes
Louise83
First Poster
Options

Thanks, but as per my first post I already removed the app and deleted the channel, but every now and then the TV still starts on channel 4000.

0 Likes
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Could there be a possibility that the TV Plus content still showing on the guide, is being selected in error, @Louise83?

0 Likes
VJ4
Student
Options

I am young-ish and work in digital tech and I still can't work out how to stop Samsung TV to stop defaulting to channel 4000. Hearing that your mom with dementia wants to watch BBC1 but has to go through the pain of channel 4000 broke my heart. 

It's an incredibly cruel design decision by Samsung. TV is the only companion for a lot of older people, vulnerable people, house-bound people, people with mobility restrictions and therefore potentially struggling with every single key press. 

How could Samsung force this on its users? 

0 Likes
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Have you followed the steps in my previous post, @VJ4?

0 Likes
VJ4
Student
Options

I have thank you. I'm not sure if it worked yet. As other have on here have said, these channels act like spyware and reset themselves. I'm not holding my breadth. 

As I've said in another thread, TV is the only companion for some of the most vulnerable people - lonely, home bound, with mobility issues, with other disabilities. 

Does Samsung expect all these users to follow a complicated series of steps just to watch TV? 

I'm assuming, the answer is no - that wouldn't be ethical and likely to be demonstrably in breach of accessibility guidelines. 

If that's the case, why Samsung still hasn't changed this design? 

Apart from the support overhead, the other costs is reputation damage - to Samsung and Rakuten. Sadly, I've just recommended a Samsung TV to someone - I won't be doing this again. 

For 2 years now I've been pressing "page up" million times just to get back to the start of my channel list. 

I'm very angry that Samsung has invaded my home and wasted my time. 

Saying that, I do appreciate your response. 

Louise83
First Poster
Options

I found a simple way around it for my mum, I set up the timer so it turns onto BBC 1 at a certain time each day.

0 Likes
Alison146
First Poster
Options

I have tried to follow these instructions. But the options listed don't come up for me. I have a UE43KU6500U. I have deleted one TV+ tile but there are two. I have deleted the channels. The system tells me manual tuning isn't available to me and auto tuning reinstalls the TV+ channels. I can usually manage these things. Can anyone help me. I don't normally use it to watch TV channels but the other day the virgin box signal went out and I couldn't get it play normal TV channels. 

0 Likes
Jonnieo
Apprentice
Options

@Alison146 wrote:

I have tried to follow these instructions. But the options listed don't come up for me. I have a UE43KU6500U. I have deleted one TV+ tile but there are two. I have deleted the channels. The system tells me manual tuning isn't available to me and auto tuning reinstalls the TV+ channels. I can usually manage these things. Can anyone help me. I don't normally use it to watch TV channels but the other day the virgin box signal went out and I couldn't get it play normal TV channels. 

I use a freeview recorder and those channels dont appears on that at all.

0 Likes