Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cast to TV not available only screen mirroring

(Topic created on: 01-02-2019 03:17 PM)
cparker347
Student
Options

Hello,

Ive recently purchased a UE65SK8000 TV and on other TVs I've owned apps like Disney Life, BT Sport and YouTube have had the cast to button in the top right and pressing it cast that content to the TV while letting me use my phone (e.g. browse the web) without that interrupting or being cast.

Since switching to this TV the cast buttons are greyed out (on Samsung S8) and the only way I can cast to TV is by using the screen mirror function which is far worse quality than casting.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening or how to resolve? The tv has YouTube and Disney apps installed on it but sometimes it's easier to find on phone.  Software on phone and tv is all up to date. 

Many thanks 

Chris

0 Likes
29 REPLIES 29
Roeldevries
First Poster
Options

I don't think it is a phone problem, I can cast to the TV with a tablet neither and I can cast with my phone to Chromecast or other TVs, seems to be a TV limitation... 

0 Likes
Big_daddy786
Apprentice
Options

I was cast a video to the tv other day, since update its not showing, samsung have email back saying they no longer support casting, only mirror.   mirror is now limited now on older tv lg tv 2015 not showing no more but lg 2017 mirror option. if i use a third party app it work well with all the features 

0 Likes
Oxyd
First Poster
Options

Connect to TV via mirroring and just right click on the file on your PC and select cast to device.

0 Likes
CynAmonAI
Student
Options

Screen mirroring is NOT casting. Whatever you call these things, they're not the same. Screen mirroring is that sluggish "feature" that nobody really needs, which is projecting a smartphone screen onto a TV. It's cumbersome, slow, prone to projection (as in display geometry) erros, etc. It's a presentation thing for a projector, not a thing you'd use to show off your Google Photos on a TV.

Casting (as in Google Chromecast) on the other hand is sort of letting the app on a phone forward it's linked contents to the receiving app on the TV and as soon as the app picks up the "stream", it "takes over", "freeing" your phone (which can still control the stream, as in "play", "forward", "reverse", etc.) The most obvious difference is that as soon as the stream is passed to the device (a TV), the TV is rendering the stream, NOT the phone, which in case of the screen mirroring, would be the renderer and the TV would only receive frames to show on screen.

"Casting" is the way to go if you want to pass that YT stream from the phone to the TV, or HBO or whatever app there is which supports it. It's also the fastest way to show off your Google photos and videos on a big screen.

"Mirroring" is useful when you want to make a presentation of your phone screen and whatever things you do on your phone. It's NOT the way to show photos or videos on a TV screen.

That being said, Samsung TVs don't have a clue about casting. All they know is mirroring. Unless you AirPlay with iPhone. That means the only way to make (new) Samsung screens let you CAST is to get Google Chromecast or switch to Apple. Why "new" you ask. Older (2017) Sammy TV sets supported Samsung Smart View app which let you cast. Newer TV sets do not support it, handing over to Samsung Smart Things "thing". This app, however, does not support casting, for whatever reason. The "logic" behind this is surely disfunctional, but hey, it's how things work.

mitju
Student
Options

So true and I remember only about a month ago being able to "cast" to my Samsung and in that time they must have updated the firmware removing this feature!! So upset, I only spent $3000 on a tv that I still need to add a chrome cast to!!! Pretty upset!

Koenst
First Poster
Options

I've had the same problem but i managed to fix it. Just instal the samsung smartthings app on your device and log in with your samsung account. Than connect the app to your tv. Also make sure you log in on the tv with your samsung account. 

Now when you turn on your tv it will automatical log in with the samsung account and also connect to your phone and that enables you to cast from app like youtube and netflix to your tv.

Hope this works for you guys aswell

mitju
Student
Options

Mate you are a champion!! I have no idea how this happened except my wife changed the tv's pictures from her iPhone otherwise my phone was always linked with the tv! Any way you solved my problem and it also explains why my wife can't connect to the tv with her phone which sucks!

Thanks again!

0 Likes
CynAmonAI
Student
Options

Hey!

Did you manage to cast from Google Photos this way?

I can cast from Gallery, but somehow photos are always out of proportion, stretched or squeezed, and in full screen it's even worse.

0 Likes
Eslam22
First Poster
Options

happened to me  UA55RU7100

i reinstalled youtube app 

on tv 

and it  worked fine 

however . Samsung need to fix this annoying problem 

0 Likes
Alphonsusjude
Student
Options

No luck here, I've done the following

-Unplugged my tv and left it 2-3 minutes 

-Restarted my router by unplugging leaving for 2-3 minutes

-reinstalled the YouTube app on my tv updated everything on my phone. 

Can't cast from YouTube, Netflix, Tubi, plex, or literally anything video related.

-I can cast from Spotify on my phone.

- I cant hook my tv up to my google home app.

- I am logged into smart things on my phone and logged in on my tv.

What the hell is Samsungs problem? Why cant they just play nice? And keep supporting casting They're turning into Apple. And that's not a good thing. Too much priority software apps, and bull*****. This makes me so annoyed i want to get rid of my tv. 

0 Likes