Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get teletext on new UHD TV

(Topic created on: 09-04-2020 06:25 PM)
StPauli
Explorer
Options

Hi everyone,

New to this forum and hope someone can give me a bit of help.

I have setup my new 65" UHD TV and after checking everything was correct in settings etc I have found that I cannot access the teletext service when pressing the TTX/MIX key on the remote, a box opens stating "Not Available", as I used the teletext service quite a lot on my last TV (Sony Bravia UHD) I find this a big loss, the red button does not access the service Im looking for either.

Any help getting teletext to work would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Stephan.

56 REPLIES 56
AndrewL
Options
@StPauli: Can you confirm the full model number of your TV, located on the sticker on the back of the device? I believe that if you tune in to a BBC radio channel, you can access the classic teletext pages from here using the Text button on the remote.
0 Likes
GarryR
First Poster
Options

I also have recently purchased a new Smart TV model QE43Q60RATXXU 43 inch and have the same problem as StPauli.  I have tried tuning to a BBC radio channel but I still got the " Not Available" message.  However on 2 separate occasions I have managed to get the Teletext on whilst watching BBC 1, I do the same thing a few minutes later and it doesn't works.      

0 Likes
Chris_M
First Poster
Options

Hi Guys,

Is there an update to this as we have a similar issue with two TV's

Number 1.
MN : QE50Q65TAUXXU
PD : 05/21/2020

Number 2.
MN : QE43Q60RATXXU
PD : 02/04/2020

cheers

0 Likes
FBA2804
First Poster
Options

Hi,

I have recently purchased a new samsung 43" tv (model type UE43TU7000KXXU) and am havign the same issue

0 Likes
ashyt16
Navigator
Options

It's usually disabled in the service menu, It was in mine and if you check out the service menu videos on you tube you will see its disabled on most.

I think teletext is an old analogue service which is probably its disabled.

Digital TV uses the red button. Try that if you have it. Also try the HD channels not the standard channels.

P. S. I don't advocate entering the service menu. It will void your warranty. 

0 Likes
mickh001
Student
Options

I don't know if this thread is still live but I have the same problem with a new SAMSUNG - UE55TU8507UXXU. Worked fine on my old UE55H6400AK (pre lightening strike) bought in 2014 and still ok on a 27" Samsung of a similar vintage. I do remember that the text service seemed more responsive with the ethernet cable disconnected from the TV. Teletext (Ceefax) and the red button services are still active subject to a review by the BBC after complaints about its' rumoured withdrawal. If it has been disabled (or removed) I think it's a bit premature on the part of Samsung (And the specs still state TTEXT). Very disappointed at the moment as that's the part of the TV I use most several times a day. I don't want to have to wade through acres of media on a website to get the headlines. Teletext = All I need to know in just 5 minutes. :smiling-face: Fortunately I can still get it via my DVD player (Panasonic) but it's another inconvenience having to power that up and fiddle with two remotes.

0 Likes
suke
Journeyman
Options

I went into this quite deep with both Samsung and the BBC.  Cutting a long story short this is the reply from the BBC.

Thanks for getting in touch with BBC Reception advice.

Your old TV was accessing something called broadcast red button, which offered a text based service. This service is not available on new connected TV's the only service that should be available is connected red button which is a different offering to the old broadcast red button. Connected red button service gives you access to even more content that traditional Red Button. It will give you access to BBC iPlayer and the BBC Sport, BBC News and BBC Weather apps.

As previously explained at present you will not be able to access the connected red button service until your set has been certified.

So it seems that the BBC has already given up on the text based service.  I too like the text based service and is the first thing i look at with my morning cuppa.  Luckily i have a Samsung tv that still receives this service.

What the BBC means by having a set that has been certified i am not sure but it seems neither LG or the BBC are interested in the text based service

0 Likes
mickh001
Student
Options

Thanks for the information. Looks like I'm just going to have to put up with 'progress'. 😀

0 Likes
JB149
First Poster
Options

Glad you said about connection through player  I too have a Panasonic DVD and recorder and text works through it Thanks

0 Likes