Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Change Picture Size Setting UE50RU7405

(Topic created on: 19-01-2020 03:36 PM)
dsg
Apprentice
Options

I bought a new UE50RU7405. I am using the standard apps like Amazon prime. But when I use it for watching movies there is a black band which comes at the top and bottom. I tried to change the Picture Size Setting but it show "This function is not available". Is this normal, Picture Size Setting is always greyed out. Can you please explain.

Thanks

15 REPLIES 15
AndrewL
Options
@dsg: HD channels will have black bars on either side of the screen when displaying upscaled SD (4:3) content. Black bars will also appear at the top and bottom of the screen when you watch movies that have aspect ratios different from your TV (typically, this is truer of older movies). Sadly there's not a lot that can be done about this, as the image ends up warped and stretched. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause you.
0 Likes
dsg
Apprentice
Options

@AndrewL wrote:
@dsg: HD channels will have black bars on either side of the screen when displaying upscaled SD (4:3) content. Black bars will also appear at the top and bottom of the screen when you watch movies that have aspect ratios different from your TV (typically, this is truer of older movies). Sadly there's not a lot that can be done about this, as the image ends up warped and stretched. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause you.

@AndrewL : Thats ok but what is bothering me is that the Picture Size Setting option is always greyed out. When does it get enabled ? Should I not be able to change the Picture Size Setting on my television to what I want when watching content from applications.

AndrewL
Options
@dsg: If the option isn't available on the TV to change the Picture Size Settings, and you have an external device connected such as a cable or satellite box, then you could try checking the external device settings to see if the aspect can be adjusted. If not, are you able to confirm if the problem is present for all content, old and new?
0 Likes
dsg
Apprentice
Options

@AndrewL wrote:
@dsg: If the option isn't available on the TV to change the Picture Size Settings, and you have an external device connected such as a cable or satellite box, then you could try checking the external device settings to see if the aspect can be adjusted. If not, are you able to confirm if the problem is present for all content, old and new?

@AndrewL: I do not have any external device connected to my TV. I am connect via Wifi on the TV to view the app content. So I see the Picture Size Setting option always greyed out.  Is this normal when no external device is connected, that this option is greyed out ?

When I watch YouTube the content comes full screen and even on Prime when I watch series like "Big Bang Theory" it shows full screen. But for some contents the black bars comes in top and bottom.

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
@dsg: If you're mainly viewing content via applications then I recommend checking the app settings themselves for aspect options. You should find that if you tune the TV to freeview/terrestrial channels, or connect an external device, the Picture Size Settings will be available to you, however as standard you will find that older media has horizontal or vertical black bars on all platforms.
0 Likes
dsg
Apprentice
Options

@AndrewL wrote:
@dsg: If you're mainly viewing content via applications then I recommend checking the app settings themselves for aspect options. You should find that if you tune the TV to freeview/terrestrial channels, or connect an external device, the Picture Size Settings will be available to you, however as standard you will find that older media has horizontal or vertical black bars on all platforms.

First thanks for replying quickly to this thread.

Does that mean because I have no external device connected, the TV setting would always be 16:9 and non chanagable. Is that the reason its greyed out ? 

In other words, the Picture Size Setting is applicable only when external device connected ?

https://www.samsung.com/sg/support/tv-audio-video/how-to-modify-the-picture-size-for-samsung-smart-t... article does not seem to suggest anything like that

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
@dsg: It does appear to be that way. I had a look on one of our TV's in the office that's in demo mode, and the Picture Size Settings were greyed out. In the picture size settings in the user manual it states "Adjust the picture size options on your external device or set the TV to full screen," which seems to suggest that the option is only applicable via certain sources. Apps will automatically set the aspect ratio based on the format of the content being viewed, so the TV won't allow you to manually adjust it via the internal settings.
dsg
Apprentice
Options

@AndrewL wrote:
@dsg: It does appear to be that way. I had a look on one of our TV's in the office that's in demo mode, and the Picture Size Settings were greyed out. In the picture size settings in the user manual it states "Adjust the picture size options on your external device or set the TV to full screen," which seems to suggest that the option is only applicable via certain sources. Apps will automatically set the aspect ratio based on the format of the content being viewed, so the TV won't allow you to manually adjust it via the internal settings.

Ok thanks for your feedback. I am going to try connect it with exernal source and test this. 

0 Likes
RKShukla
Pioneer
Options

You cannot adjust picture size settings with all input signals.

Here's an explanation: https://technastic.com/samsung-tv-picture-size-settings-not-available/

0 Likes