Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't turn on my new TV after power cut

(Topic created on: 29-03-2018 11:50 PM)
Maggie55
First Poster
Options

We can't seem to turn on our new TV after having a short power cut. This is the TV we have: http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE49MU6400UXXU but we can't seem to find a power button on the TV anywhere,or even know if it has one because we have felt all around the TV and can't find a power button. EDIT: We have now found the power button behind where the red light usually comes on, we have pressed the button and pressed and held it but it still doesn't come on. We have also checked that all wires are plugged in. The red light on the TV is off completely. Usually the red light is on and we turn on the TV using the remote control. We have tried both the normal and Smart TV control to turn it on, and plugged in the TV power cable to another outlet because we thought maybe the plug socket wasn't working. But still nothing seems to turn our TV on. Can anyone advise us what to do?

Thank you, it is very much appreciated as we are all clueless and very old people who do not understand new TV's!

From Margaret.

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13
JimmyTech
First Poster
Options

I realize this is an older post but in case other people find this I wanted to post my insight on the problem. This has happened to me twice in short time I've own my Samsung TV (1yr) so it definitely seems like a common problem. This will happen even if the TV is turned off during the power surge/outage so it isn't some kind of corrupted data like others hand mentioned. Unplugging the TV and letting it sit overnight should solve the problem and let me explain why this most likely works:

Why does this work?

It seems Samsung is using some type of resetable fuse (IE: multifuse, polyfuse or polyswitch etc). Instead of burning out and needing replacement like traditional fuses, when these fuses overheat, they loose conductivity and protect the device. Once removed from power they can take hrs/days to regain their original structure, return to a low resistance state, and allow power to flow again. This is a great thing because it protects the device and you don't have to open up the case to replace fuses. However, this can be a really bad thing for consumers that have no idea what is going on and think the device is trashed.

If unplugging the TV for 24hrs doesn't fix it, then it is probably a bad power supply (Most likely a failed cap) and that would be a valid reason for repairs or replacement.

Good luck with your fix!

Note to SAMSUNG: If any Samsung reps read this, I highly recommend you put a note about this in the setup guide explaining this because this is very common (Happened to me twice in 1 year now) and a lot of people might think the TV was dead or faulty. If they end up replacing the TV, I bet they wont be buying another Samsung either.

Pete69
First Poster
Options

I think you were a little over on the overnight i just lost power for the second time with this TV and it seems if i unplug my surge stripe for 5/10 minutes and plug back in fixes it. I also am not a expert or tech but this worked every time.

John109
Student
Options
This has just happened to me and my wife I have unplugged everything on the TV fingers crossed
0 Likes
John109
Student
Options
I have spoken to Samsung they have passed the buck to richer sounds where we bought the TV 2 years ago saying they only guarantee for 1 year the lady on the phone said nothing about device saving internal fuses just hope it works will save a lot of arguments and aggro best regards John
0 Likes