Did you mean: 

Can't make video file on usb fill the screen

(Topic created on: 14-08-2020 04:08 PM)
QuantumEraser
First Poster
Options

Hi,
And thanks in advance for any help.

I have a QE49Q60RATXXU Samsung qled tv. I also have some video files given to me by a pal. These files will play ok from a usb stick in the tv but I am unable to make them fill the screen - they show with a black bar at either side of the video which I find annoying.

The files are mkv format and ffmpeg gives the file information as:

Metadata:
encoder : libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.0
creation_time : 2007-09-28T05:27:20.000000Z
Duration: 00:41:57.01, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1143 kb/s
Stream #0:0: Video: h264 (Main), yuv420p(progressive), 720x576, SAR 64:45 DAR 16:9, 25 fps, 25 tbr, 1k tbn, 50 tbc (default)
Stream #0:1: Audio: vorbis, 48000 Hz, stereo, fltp (default)
Stream #0:2(eng): Subtitle: dvd_subtitle, 720x576 (default)

This shows the DAR as 16:9 and yet with the tv set at 16:9:Standard in "Picture Size Settings" I still get black bars at either side.

I can use the "Custom" settings to expand the width to "sort-of" fill the screen, (its close but not exact) but that is a faff and I'd like to get to the bottom of this.

I tried the Samsung help, spoke with a couple of helpful people - the upshot of which is I have to use an external program to alter the files. Here is an excerpt of the chat:

--------------------------------chat excerpt-------------------
>>Samsung UK Support
That's okay. I forgot to mention that "fit to screen" is only for live TV but not to be used for external devices. The other option for you to watch all downloaded movies from the internet that you've save in the USB stick is to use an online application to format the aspect ratio to full screen

>>me
OK - no problem. I'm a programmer and familiar with that sort of thing. I normally use Handbrake. What settings should I use

>>Samsung UK Support
For Force Aspect Ratio enter a value like: 33:20For Force Aspect Ratio enter a value like: 33:20

>>me
So there is no way to adjust the tv to show a full screen image from a video file with a different aspect ratio?

>>Samsung UK Support
No there isn't an option for full screen through external programmes.
--------------------------------chat excerpt-------------------

(Please note - my files are not "downloaded movies from the internet" - I don't know where she got that from!)

I then tried setting the aspect ratio of the file as instructed using ffmpeg from a command line (linux), like this:

ffmpeg -i <INPUT_FILE> -aspect 33:20 -c copy [OUTPUT_FILE]

but I get the same result.

So I'm a bit stuck. The file shows the "Display Aspect Ratio" of 16:9, the tv is set for 16:9, every other device I try this on (my computer, my ipad, etc) it fills the screen no problem and yet the Samsung tv insists it should have black bars down either side.

Any help would be very welcome, thank you: (I use linux for choice but could switch to windows via virtualbox if necessary).
cheers
Gary

0 Likes
0 REPLIES 0