Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get closed captions to display on new Samsung TV

(Topic created on: 22-11-2018 09:23 PM)
JaggedOne
First Poster
Options

Just bought a new Samsung 40" UHDTV (UN40MU6290F) from Walmart. Got it up and running, and it's beautiful. But I've hit a snag. I'm ashamed to say that I can't figure out how to turn Closed Captions on. I found "Caption Settings" under Settings-->General-->Accessibility, and set it to ON, and Caption Mode under it to "Default" (I tried all the other settings as well). But no captions. I don't know what else to do. I am 67 and my hearing is not what it used to be. I used CC regularly on my old TV. This TV is visually lovely, but will not be of much use to me w/o CC. I must be missing something, or doing something wrong...I cannot imagine that a top-of-the-line 2017 UHD TV doesn't support CC.

21 REPLIES 21
Hamilton-Vargus
First Poster
Options

I can’t get closed captions on my  2016 Samsung SmarTV

AntS
Options

Hi @Hamilton-Vargus. Which model TV do you have?

(The thread OP's was a US model. The guide for Closed Captions for their model is here, but unsure exactly the reason as to why it wasn't working in their case - or if they resolved it.)

Esther8
Student
Options

I have bought the 7100 series Samsung Smart TV, which is a 2018 or 2017.  I cant get the captions onto the streaming videos either.  Which is the reason I bought a SMart TV in the first place.  I didnt get any on the first movie I tried to watch from Amazon Prime, so I quit it and tried another movie.  This one had very tiny captions I could barely read so I ended up watching it on my big Apple Imac desktop computer instead where the captions were much bigger than on the TV screen.   Since Best Buy was the one that did all the settings for me maybe I should call them.  They only put the apps on and the CC for the main TV, but we did not try to see how streaming video looked like.

JimD65
First Poster
Options

Bought a Samsung (UN43NU7100F)  and are not able to turn off the close caption. We have gone into menu and accessability and  turned it off but when we go back to our TV program it is still there. What are we doing wrong?

0 Likes
Esther8
Student
Options
I had the same problem but Best Buy set up my tv for me so the main cable was ok. But i couldnt turn on the Amazon Prime videos CC till over a week later. Then I couldnt turn on Hallmark Movies Now streaming video captions till i emailed that co and they told me to reboot. To unplug power cords at wall. Or if cords on a surge strip u can turn it off. Then wait 5 mins and turn on. It worked!! Get someone to help you or call Best Buy.
0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

i cannot figure out how to  get closed captions on my Samsung Series 5200 and 6200 Smart TV

0 Likes
Bubba1
First Poster
Options

Hit the source button on the remote, upper right, if you are trying to watch a streaming service or non cable box show, set source to TV, not HDMI  ETC.  Press the CC button, make sure first you have set up CC using the samsung remote.  I could not get CC when I was set to HDMI.  

KatrinaC
First Poster
Options

@Bubba1 wrote:

Hit the source button on the remote, upper right, if you are trying to watch a streaming service or non cable box show, set source to TV, not HDMI  ETC.  Press the CC button, make sure first you have set up CC using the samsung remote.  I could not get CC when I was set to HDMI.  

Hi Bubba!! 

I was thrilled to find your instructions. However they did not work for me. 

I am set to TV as source. Watching the TV+ that came with this fancy smancy thingamajig. 

Still, no captions on any channel. 

Thoughts?

Thank you, 

Katrina 

Eugene5
First Poster
Options

Accorting to YouTubeTV Support they do NOT support CC on Samsung SMART TV's.  

0 Likes