Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get closed captions to display on new Samsung TV

(Topic created on: 22-03-2020 08:32 PM)
JaggedOne
First Poster
Options

Just bought a new Samsung 40" UHDTV (UN40MU6290F) from Walmart. Got it up and running, and it's beautiful. But I've hit a snag. I'm ashamed to say that I can't figure out how to turn Closed Captions on. I found "Caption Settings" under Settings-->General-->Accessibility, and set it to ON, and Caption Mode under it to "Default" (I tried all the other settings as well). But no captions. I don't know what else to do. I am 67 and my hearing is not what it used to be. I used CC regularly on my old TV. This TV is visually lovely, but will not be of much use to me w/o CC. I must be missing something, or doing something wrong...I cannot imagine that a top-of-the-line 2017 UHD TV doesn't support CC.

21 REPLIES 21
gypsysnail
First Poster
Options
Hi JaggedOne, I solved the problem by selecting "Hearing Impaired" for subtitles. I know it is weird but I found that was the only thing that worked.
0 Likes
bigguyjohn2154
First Poster
Options
Hoe do I get the spanish cc to change to english on my samsung 58" r7100 tv ?
0 Likes
ski725
First Poster
Options

Have Samsung 55 in tv model#un55j6201. Can't get the closed cation to work. Setting say on but nothing on screen. 

Ski725

0 Likes
MimiSylv
Student
Options

I finally figured it out! *yeah* Just press the up arrow twice. The caption option will be available to toggle between on and off. You can also choose which language you want to use. I had followed all the directions for setting up the caption and did that, but never could get it to work. But! Now! Yeah! :smiling-face:  Hope it helps you too!

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

Thanks so much for your reply. If you have your original Samsung TV remote or purchase another one , there is a cc button on the remote which will be even simpler than your suggestion

Thanks again .

0 Likes
MimiSylv
Student
Options

Yes, just as the other person said, I tried using the CC button. I tried going to the Menu and setting up the CC and it was set to work, but never actually worked. Today I thought I would try to figure it out again and I read someone's suggestion online to just use the up button twice. Walah! The Caption on that screen was turned "off".  Now it's fixed and I'm so happy! I thought others who recently bought this tv would like to know what I did. Thanks for your reply.

Jane14
First Poster
Options

Cannot get Samsung TU700D smart tv to display closed caption for Amazon Prime. 

0 Likes
Pictou
First Poster
Options

I can't get the closed captioning to work on my new Samsung tv.  Not sure if it is the tv or the HD.  Any ideas or suggestions.  I have the CC turned on and on the CC that worked on other TVs.  
Beverley

0 Likes
Miss_Annonymous
First Poster
Options

If you're looking to turn  the CC on an app like Prime, hit the up arrow twice. It will show a Subtitle button. Turn it on. 

For CC on cable, use the Accessibility on the home button (found in settings). This alone does not work on the apps. You need to do the arrow set up on the apps for some reason.

This is what worked for me.

JeffGo
First Poster
Options

Thank you! How would anyone discover this!!!

0 Likes