Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Alexa turn on my TV

(Topic created on: 02-11-2020 04:13 PM)
Ronata28
Explorer
Options
Hi all, I have a Q60T tv with Alexa, but cannot get Alexa to turn it on.
Can anyone advise how to do this ?
Many thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
IamJai
Helping Hand
Options
just tried it now I got an Alexa echo dot and you need smarthings and a smart plug
0 Likes
Ronata28
Explorer
Options
I considered that, but all the experts say you shouldn't do it because of power surge Anyway, wouldn't it just power up to standby mode ? If so, it still wouldn't be on.
ashyt16
Navigator
Options

Surely when the tv is off or in stand by mode Alexa isn't available?

I can turn on the TV with Alexa via the Firestick as it has it's own power supply, but then that's almost the same as pressing power on the remote as I have to press the Alexa button anyway.

However I should image an echo device should be able to do it hands free.

My google home can also do this but it's useless at controlling the TV as the command has to be so device specific otherwise it doesn't understand.

Alexa is far more forgiving and just have to say Alexa turn on the TV. With Google it needs device name, model, where it's at, a real faff.

Kaluk
First Poster
Options

U have the Smartthings skill installed? That's necessary.

Than just say "Alexa turn <name of your TV> on". I say (in German) Alexa, turn on Samsung. Samsung is the name of my TV. As it, the TV,  is in group "living room" I also can say Turn on TV in living room (in German)

0 Likes
Ronata28
Explorer
Options
Yes I have the skill installed. I have now spoken to Samsung Support and they say that Alexa cannot turn on the TV as the wifi is turned off when the tv is turned off.
I have now bought a Broadlink RM3 mini, which works a dream.
0 Likes
LeahHodges
First Poster
Options

Yes of course she can, if you have a SmartTV

0 Likes