Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Burning smell almost chlorine smell from Samsung TV

(Topic created on: 04-03-2021 02:49 AM)
Jdawg7
First Poster
Options

We purchased a Samsung tv from Best Buy at the end of 2015. It has had off and on smells the entire life of it. The past month, it has given off a very strong smell of burnt plastic and it almost smells like chlorine from a pool at times. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, how can I fix this?  It’s a 40 inch, details in photo below.  Thank you!

655BACE5-A676-4446-B057-2E4EBE97D00A.jpeg

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
It's impossible do diagnose over a forum. For your own safety, get a professional to look at it.
0 Likes
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Good morning @Jdawg7 ,

Samsung takes these matters very seriously and will do the best we can to assist you in this situation. I can see that your TV model is from outside the UK/EU (where we are based), however, we can pass your details to our team in your region internally. Can you please send us a message from here: https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/1716597 with your details? 

0 Likes
rabbitdog
First Poster
Options

Yes.  I've had the problem on Samsung and other TV's.  The smell tends to build up in the house over a a few days until it begins to  irritate my eyes and give me a head ache.  If I turn off the TV (I mean pull the pluge) the odor will slowly disappear over a few days. 

I searched for the source of the smell for like several years, blaming the HVAC system, looking for mold, the dish washer, every possible source.  I am 100 percent positive it is the TV’s.  Several years ago I tried getting the issue resolved with Samsung.  It was a waste of time.  They might send someone out to look at it, but they find nothing wrong with it.  I believe the manufacturers know what causes the problem but since it affects only a small percent of the people, they do nothing about it.  It is probably one of the plastics used in the TV off-gassing.  If the company is reading this:  I would be willing to pay extra for a TV that does not give of the fumes.   

0 Likes
SaudA
Troubleshooter
Options

Hi @rabbitdog, we do take these cases very seriously. Has an engineer already come out and inspected the TV?

0 Likes
rabbitdog
First Poster
Options

They sent someone out.  He took the TV apart and looked at the inside.  Put it back together.  Said there was nothing wrong.  I have since given the TV.

0 Likes
Vince Vonier
First Poster
Options

I have the same thing. Just bought a brand new 43 inch Samsung and ever since I have taken it out of the box. It just has this smell like burnt plastic. It’s not that nice.

0 Likes
AsadM
Options

Hi @Vince Vonier, if you are based in the UK or Ireland then please send a private message to Sam_UK by following the steps in the link below, and I or one of the other mods will be able to get this escalated for you.  

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/samsung-lounge/how-to-send-a-private-message-on-the-samsung-comm...