Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Brand new 65" 2018 Q9FN and issues with HDR

(Topic created on: 20-08-2019 01:57 PM)
Pon11
Journeyman
Options

I have now been using my brand new 65" 2018 Q9FN for couple of weeks and only couple of days ago started to watch HDR content using the built in apps in the device. Almost immediately (especially when watching dark scenes of Ozark in Netflix) I noticed that there is something weird going on with every HDR content when the subtitles are enabled.

The problem is the following. Every time a subtitle appears on the screen, the device brightens up the details in the screen automatically as if it would try to automatically correct the brightness and contrast in the screen to match the bright light produced by the appearing subtitles. This is really annoying and makes watching of HDR content almost unwatchable. Non-HDR content does not have the same problem when subtitles are enabled and also if I turn off the subtitles completely the problem is gone also with HDR content. It should not however be the "fix" to just watch without subtitles as people including me do watch non-native content with subtitles.

Something I also tried to do was to set the colour of the subtitles to something else than white (currently yellow with black boxes around it) but the dynamic brightness / contrast adjustment is still there every time subtitles appear in the screen. Oh and just to be clear the latest firmware 1153 updated on 8 November.

I think there is also a similar kind of problem described in the topic linked below but I saw that discussion going nowhere so decided to open a new topic just for this problem: 

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/Brand-new-55-Q9FN-terrible-panel-quality/td-p/577...

"...if there's some white/bright element either from the scene, or even external (volume display, subtitles, etc.) it seems to brighten that corner of the screen and suddenly you see all this detail in the scene"

Am I alone with this issue and is Samsung doing anything to correct this? I feel like I should be returning the device because I don't feel like a satisfied customer at the moment.

0 Likes
74 REPLIES 74
NikoAW
First Poster
Options

Just by looking at the beginning of this thread is obvious that the iussue won't be solved. It's been to many months, Samsung never replied, and all the "confirmations" are vague at best. Don't hope in a fix.

0 Likes
JDawg
Pioneer
Options

Dan gewoon naar radar stappen toch? Simpel.  

0 Likes
Schwimmbo
Explorer
Options

Ik ben Belg en geen Nederlander. :winking-face:

KoenGT
Apprentice
Options

55KS7000 died because my child threw a toy at it, lcd layer broke, black bars etc.

Bought a brand new 65RU8000 yesterday and im crying on the couch right now. The KS had no problem what so ever with all 4k content on Netflix. Now watching the same show; Lucifer, HDR is forced onto this TV. Cant even see half the scenes its so dark. Been messing with expert setting for hours, nothing seems to accually improve it. 

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@KoenGT wrote:

55KS7000 died because my child threw a toy at it, lcd layer broke, black bars etc.

Bought a brand new 65RU8000 yesterday and im crying on the couch right now. The KS had no problem what so ever with all 4k content on Netflix. Now watching the same show; Lucifer, HDR is forced onto this TV. Cant even see half the scenes its so dark. Been messing with expert setting for hours, nothing seems to accually improve it. 

I had the ks9500 which had a lovely picture. It went wrong and was replaced with the q9f and what a horrible TV. The 4 k and her were so dull, and blooming on nearly everything. That went back and forth the lg c8, and is very good. 

0 Likes
Schwimmbo
Explorer
Options

Anyone knows if our main problem has been fixed with the new 1720 firmware?

Not getting my hopes up but you never know...

0 Likes
JDawg
Pioneer
Options

Depends on the subtitles type. I found high settings to be far better this patch. I use it all the time. Burned in subs perform wonderfully. Subs added by apps like netflix and plex cause trouble, indicating it's a programming thing.

Schwimmbo
Explorer
Options
Yeah, hard coded subs have never been the issue. It's the overlay subs such as the ones on Netflix causing the blooming. It's definitely a software processing issue which makes it so infuriating.
I tend to watch Netflix 4k HDR on PS4 Pro now where the issue seems less or even nonexistent. I think it is caused by the native Netflix app...
0 Likes
JDawg
Pioneer
Options
I already explained this in detail to customer service. They would send it to their engineers seemed like they weren't aware this was an issue with their own apps. Used screenshots with plex burned in subs and then not burned in subs. Seems like the easiest fix ever: don't make the menu act as an overlay.

On a side note high settings work far more stable, it used to be unwatchable to me even without subs with flickering on and off now it's my go to setting.
Schwimmbo
Explorer
Options

Thanks for your reply!

I totally agree with you that changing the dimming software in such a way that it does not treat Netflix subtitles and menus as overlays should fix the issue. (When I press pause whilst watching in the native app, it brightens my screen so much that it even hurts my eyes!)

Any news on the 3 customer service people you got in touch with?

As for the "high settings that work fare more stable", do you mean that you watch Netflix in the native app and have put 'Local Dimming' setting on HIGH?

0 Likes